Anyone using Campbell Biology text for their MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pslee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard various comments about who would want to study MCAT with their textbooks. Well, I think textbooks are alot boring and verbose, but it is more detailed in their topics.(I almost fall asleep today while reading it) When I am telling my friends that I am going to study my biology with my undergraduate text, they are just horrified and trying to pull me into their kaplan and EK crew. Is studying with undergrad text that bad? I am going to take the August MCAT and just want to know your thoughts on studying MCAT with undergrad text written by Campbell.

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly suggest against that. Textbooks have way more detail that you need to know or can remember by the time the MCAT comes along. It's hard enough trying to remember as much information as they are already testing so to go into a lot of detail would not be as productive as you think. Also, if the textbook is boring you as you say, then you aren't going to remember as much of the minute details anyway.

Try reading through some of the MCAT prep books to see how much detail is even needed. Then if something isn't making sense to you, then resort to the textbook as more clarification.

the cd that comes with the book is excellent for a quick review of sections if you are a visual learner.

Members don't see this ad :)
pslee said:
Well, I think textbooks are alot boring and verbose, but it is more detailed in their topics.

"detail" is, in the context of the MCAT, a very bad thing.

You don't want to read a 25 page long chapter on mitosis-- you want the 2 page distilled version that tells you exactly and only what you need to know for the MCAT.

The prep books are written specifically with the MCAT in mind -- so they don't cover topics that won't be on the test (which a normal Bio text certainly would), and they don't go more in depth on topics than is necessary (which a bio textbook would as well).

I used campbell and internet sources to get more detail on glycolysis/TCA cycle and also to read up on trisomy 21, sex-linked diseases, cancer, and HIV(on my bio final I was guessing on the whole CD4 CD8 thing). I dedicated one day(4hrs) of study to diseases. This is just so if you see it on the MCAT you won't get bogged down with descrpitions on how these disease work.

Textbooks are not the way to go for 95% of your study especially in huge bio topics like replication/transcription/translation, but don't be afraid to open it up if you know it had something useful in there. I went over my EK bio review book about 5 times before the MCAT. I could not pull that off with Campbells.

Also at some point hit up the labs you did in bio. 4hrs should be enough if you reviewed bio 1-2 times already. Nothing worse than seeing a question about a lab you did and having to guess on it.

ND2005 said:
"detail" is, in the context of the MCAT, a very bad thing.

You don't want to read a 25 page long chapter on mitosis-- you want the 2 page distilled version that tells you exactly and only what you need to know for the MCAT.

The prep books are written specifically with the MCAT in mind -- so they don't cover topics that won't be on the test (which a normal Bio text certainly would), and they don't go more in depth on topics than is necessary (which a bio textbook would as well).

The MCAT BS passages can easily be very detailed. Mine were, but the questions were all asked on a level of basic bio 101/102. If you know your bio cold you will learn to decipher the seemingly advanced questions/passages.

thank you for your replies. I will put more focus on the materials that will cover on the mcat and save my time.

how about if we are using Campbell as our undergrad bio book. Think i should be using another source to study for the class (and, hence, for future MCAT) ?

Thanks

I read my EK bio before bio recitation. This helped me answer questions during recitation and I was very familiar with the book when it was time for the MCAT. BS was easiest section because of this and I had it down rather well about 5 weeks into my MCAT studying.

Use MCAT material as a supplement to your notes/Campbell. Class notes/Campbell should be your primary source for your course.

EVIL06 said:
how about if we are using Campbell as our undergrad bio book. Think i should be using another source to study for the class (and, hence, for future MCAT) ?

Thanks

EVIL06 said:

Thanks
The Campbell should be more than you need. Just learn it front to back.

What are everyone's thoughts on this issue over 10 years later?

Wow...a 10 years old thread.

I am not sure what is the answer to your question. However, GetTheLeadOut (Patrick Star), used it as his source of study, and got a 15 for the Biological Science section on the old MCAT. You can read about his experience on the old 30+ thread.

I believe the test prep books are better tailored to the exam given the time constrain to study for this test. Having said that there maybe specific topics that you may wish to read up on from the text book if you need further clarification when you do your practice.