Anyone using Kaplan MCAT QBank and ready to tear their hair out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen Wheels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or are these questions super hard and tricky? I keep getting 40%-60% on the quizzes I create. I guess if these are super hard the real thing will seem easy but geez this is demoralizing! I used to be smart...:(

I really like the setup of the QBank and how you can create quizzes and choose all the parameters (number of questions, timed, untimed, which subject, etc). I'll keep using it for a few more weeks until my subscription expires and then go back to AAMC tests.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I have been using it for a few weeks now. I have found errors in a several of the questions and responses - I even think I have gotten answers wrong d/t errors in the question stem, answer choices, or passage. Also, alot of the explanations have errors (like saying +G when they meant to say -G, etc) which is confusing and then you think that you've been totally confused the whole time on a concept you thought you knew, even though their wrong and you actually are correct. Kinda tempted to ask for a refund.
On top of that, the passages in all sections are definately unrealistic - especially in timed mode - I did much better with the AAMC.

I guess its good practice though, just make sure you dont get yourself confused because of erroneous answers or explanations. If I suspect something is an error, I find myself going back to my college text books to verify that the correct answers are actually correct and that their explanations are correct. For $200 bucks, I expected a little bit better quality. I also have the EK books which are good practice, but they have errors also - and their explanations are not always helpful. But practice is practice - and if you can learn from THEIR mistakes and figure out why THEY are wrong - that certainly is a great way to help you learn. Just make sure at the end of the day you consult a reputable text if your confused or unsure about their reasoning and get the correct explanation.

Last edited:
I did notice that there were a lot more errors in the Kaplan Practice MCAT questions than their Princeton Review ones. But other than that, I like their questions. I think that they cover the topic well and as you mentioned, you can pick and choose which ones to practice how. However, I would be vigilante and check with your friends or with SDN if you think that there is a mistake.

I think the Kaplan phys sciences section tests and q bank questions are pretty tough and very tricky. I am in the full online course and have been getting 80%-90% of my bio, chem, and ochem questions right in subject tests and sectionals, but my physics I'm usually getting around 65-70%. I'm no Einstein though... my depth of knowledge about physics is not great as I took the class about 8 years ago and am reteaching it to myself as I go.

I've noticed that the section tests pulled from the q bank often times test subjects that are outside the scope of the concepts that you are selecting. I don't know if this is on purpose (it does induce some confusion, which is probably good to deal with).

The explainations are kind of shady and there are definately typos. I was doing a biology subject test last night on reproductive systems and definately got burned by a question on plasmids that had a glaring typo.

I expect with the huge number of questions that are available there are going to be some errors.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY ON KAPLAN MCAT QBANK!!!!!!!!!!

The questions are nothing close to the real exam and it does not have the accurate timings to allow you arrange questions in blocks like the real MCAT. I made the mistake and purchased it, then I called for a refund and they told me that if you answer EVEN 1 question, they will not make a refund!!!! How ridiculous is that?!! How am I supposed to know that I like the course or not if I do not even answer one question?!!!
Just save your money please, spend it on AAMC practice tests instead, which are very close to the actual exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.