Anyone verify if it is necessary for DOs to report USMLE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people used to be able to get away with not reporting

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
gray line... as a DO you could get away with just submitting comlex scores BUT if asked on an interview you should not lie about having taken the step if that was the case. Some of my peers did not fare well on step 2 and thus did not submit step one or step 2 scores and solely relied on COMLEX scores (they matched)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For someone with low 230s for Step 1 and high 230s for Step 2 applying IM is it suggested to assign those scores or no?

For someone with low 230s for Step 1 and high 230s for Step 2 applying IM is it suggested to assign those scores or no?
Absolutely assign them, it will help immensely IMO

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Ya but arent I below average for IM though so wouldnt that look bad
High USMLE score>Average USMLE score>Low USMLE score>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no usmle score

also youre pretty par for the course, averages are brought up by the superstar 270s at t20 places, vast majority of IM programs would consider your scores good. You'll get screened out of more places for not having a USMLE than you would the few places with 240 cutoffs (that probably wouldnt inv you without a usmle anyways)

Reactions: 5 users
High USMLE score>Average USMLE score>Low USMLE score>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no usmle score

also youre pretty par for the course, averages are brought up by the superstar 270s at t20 places, vast majority of IM programs would consider your scores good. You'll get screened out of more places for not having a USMLE than you would the few places with 240 cutoffs (that probably wouldnt inv you without a usmle anyways)

To back this up, I applied FM. Sure, it is not IM and I understand that. But I applied to a decent number of FM university programs in the midwest and I had my full pick of them with a Step1 sub-210. I was super worried it would be a liability, but honestly OP I think it was an asset for getting interviews.

Just my $0.02

People in medical school look into averages as a cutoff. It’s not. Even though the average for some specialties is a 245, half the people score below that believe it or not. Or, more accurately, most people do and there are only a few people with scores way above that.

Purely anecdotal but very sure it represents a reality. I had comlex only for IM and my friend had scores similar to yours for the same specialty. He landed essentially all the university programs he applied to and only interviewed university. I had about 1/3 university, 1/3 communiversity, and 1/3 community for interviews with the same exact comlex scores as him but no USMLE. I also applied to the same university programs he did for the most part.

It would be in your best interest to reports these scores.

Purely anecdotal but very sure it represents a reality. I had comlex only for IM and my friend had scores similar to yours for the same specialty. He landed essentially all the university programs he applied to and only interviewed university. I had about 1/3 university, 1/3 communiversity, and 1/3 community for interviews with the same exact comlex scores as him but no USMLE. I also applied to the same university programs he did for the most part.

It would be in your best interest to reports these scores.

Oh thank you for letting me know. Any chance I may get yours and your friend's residency list? Ive compiled my own but wanted ot make sure if I should change anything