Is it Necessary for DO Students to Report their USMLE scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Medguy1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the title. Fourth year looking to see if reporting USMLE scores are required. The available information is quite vague (and maybe purposefully so), but does anyone have any other information/experience?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not "required" in that there is no rule that you must do so. if you hunt old threads, you'll find some from the past where it used to be a requirement that if you took the USMLE, you needed to release it to programs. That rule has been removed, so it's your choice.

What individual programs require may be different. Some programs may require the USMLE for DO candidates, some may highly favor those with USMLE scores but consider COMLEX, and some may be happy with COMLEX. You can pick and choose which programs you assign your USMLE transcript to -- although I believe the USMLE ID is visible on your application, so if it's there and there's no USMLE transcript and a program notices, they may ask you about it.

What to do is your choice.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not "required" in that there is no rule that you must do so. if you hunt old threads, you'll find some from the past where it used to be a requirement that if you took the USMLE, you needed to release it to programs. That rule has been removed, so it's your choice.

What individual programs require may be different. Some programs may require the USMLE for DO candidates, some may highly favor those with USMLE scores but consider COMLEX, and some may be happy with COMLEX. You can pick and choose which programs you assign your USMLE transcript to -- although I believe the USMLE ID is visible on your application, so if it's there and there's no USMLE transcript and a program notices, they may ask you about it.

What to do is your choice.
Source?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is not required.

However, you can’t pick and choose. If you took Step 1 and did bad, then took Step 2 and did stellar (or vice versa), you can’t withhold one and send the other as both will be included on your score transcript.

Additionally, programs may inquire as to why you didn’t take Step (which you did, you just didn’t report) and it would behoove you to be honest with them.

So just to confirm. We can leave the USMLE authorization as a "No" and not be in any sort of legal predicament or get in trouble with the Match? Or do we put our USMLE ID and authorize, but then don't "assign" to programs? If asked directly during an interview I understand it's best to be honest about it.

Last edited:
So just to confirm. We can leave the USMLE authorization as a "No" and not be in any sort of legal predicament or get in trouble with the Match? Or do we put our USMLE ID and authorize, but then don't "assign" to programs? If asked directly during an interview I understand it's best to be honest about it.

this is my understanding, yes.