Anyone want to make $225,000?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinesux

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
no folks...and you don't have to be a doctor! Sick of dealing with JCAHO, working 80 hrs a week at a Taco Bell salary, and filling out endless reams of useless paperwork? Don't feel like giving up 12 years of your life after high school to have the privilege of continuing the torture and pain of being a cog in the wheel of the American healthcare system? Then why not become a cop in the city of Yonkers, NY! If joining the police force is not your thing, then how about painting? The city of Yonkers will pay you a cool $156,000 for that!

"The top-paid city employee was police Sgt. Kevin Scully, whose gross earnings of $253,861 put him more than $100,000 ahead of Amicone. Next was police Lt. Kevin Tighe, whose gross pay totaled $252,127. Police Lt. John A. Conroy, now retired, came in third, with gross pay of $237,811.
The mayor also finished behind Anthony Manzo, a painter in the city's Parks Department, who earned $156,103 including $64,460 in overtime."

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008806150389

This is further proof of the erosion of physician salaries over time in comparison to the rest of working America.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One word explanation: corruption.

One word explanation: corruption.
Yeah, no kidding. You've gotta love politicians.

"Oh, yeah, those physicians who went to school for a trillion years and work their asses off to save your skins, they're stealing all of your money!!!!!!!!!!! (Okay, the constituency is distracted. Lets raise all of our buddies salaries by 30% this year!)"

Manzo must be painting up a friggin storm to earn 150,000 dollars. Man, I bet there's nobody looking for his job. Manzo should have offed the reporter who reported this, if he has any sense.

Wait a minute:

The mayor also finished behind Anthony Manzo, a painter in the city's Parks Department, who earned $156,103 including $64,460 in overtime.

He only earned $64,460 in overtime, which means he makes over $90,000 in base salary? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I think this is really more of an example of an overpaid painter than underpaid doctors. I can assure you that most painters don't make over $150k.

Still an aberration or a remote case of corruption? Well if Yonkers, NY is not exactly your cup of tea, then how about living it up in the OC!

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/overtime-deputies-sheriff-2067610-county-hours

We all know how many us around here sing the praises of living in California. Well now you can and with a salary to "die for" without surrendering your life over to the hells of medicine.

no folks...and you don't have to be a doctor! Sick of dealing with JCAHO, working 80 hrs a week at a Taco Bell salary, and filling out endless reams of useless paperwork? Don't feeling like giving up 12 years of your life after high school to have the privilege of continuing the torture and pain of being a cog in the wheel of the American healthcare system? Then why not become a cop in the city of Yonkers, NY! If joining the police force is not your thing, then how about painting? The city of Yonkers will pay you a cool $156,000 for that!

"The top-paid city employee was police Sgt. Kevin Scully, whose gross earnings of $253,861 put him more than $100,000 ahead of Amicone. Next was police Lt. Kevin Tighe, whose gross pay totaled $252,127. Police Lt. John A. Conroy, now retired, came in third, with gross pay of $237,811.
The mayor also finished behind Anthony Manzo, a painter in the city's Parks Department, who earned $156,103 including $64,460 in overtime."

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008806150389

This is further proof of the erosion of physician salaries over time in comparison to the rest of working America.

The really crazy thing...237k IS NOTHING. My local police chief makes over $400,000/yr...no joke. This crap is completely out of control.

CORRUPTION run wide.

All the doctors should just stop going to work one day, maybe call that day "The Happening". Make a movie starring marky mark.

The really crazy thing...237k IS NOTHING. My local police chief makes over $400,000/yr...no joke. This crap is completely out of control.

CORRUPTION run wide.

All the doctors should just stop going to work one day, maybe call that day "The Happening". Make a movie starring marky mark.

LAPD is corruption by definition...Bratton is married to Ricky Kleiman who I believe is the DA...isn't that conflict of interest??:laugh:

Corruption or perhaps the "going rate"?

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/payroll/boston/total.DESC//

WARNING:

(Do not click on the above link if you just came off a 30 hr shift!) You will be nauseated to no end after realizing that a Boston cop makes more in overtime alone than your entire measly annual resident salary. Want to wretch some more: Some primary care docs now make officially HALF that of members of the Boston police force. How about them apples?

I'm gonna come out and say this....

I'm okay with cops making this much... I want the cops to be comfortable enough to be unbribable. Sorry.

Although a $100k would have been more reasonable.

I don't know any police officers but from what I've seen, at least for the "street beat" guys, its pretty dangerous work.

I'm ok with paying people who possibly get shot at during work a little more. Same goes for paying people who do gross jobs that most of us wouldn't want to do (abatoir, sewer inspector, etc.) Although I have to say I'm suprised at even the base rate; I had no idea they made that much money.

Yeah, I'd like to make more given my education and there's a lot of insanity out there in regards to what people make and the presumption that doctors make more than anyone else but in some cases its ok by me (the cop that sits at the desk and does admin stuff all day? Not so much.)

...and i'm not going into medicine... i'm going into pt or ot. I happen to know a few Orange County sheriff's deputies.... one is my cousin's husband and the others are his friends. One of his friends left the department recently because it was stressful. Many of the deputies work in the Theo Lacy jail and they've had inmates beaten and tazed to death(i know of 3 in the past two or three years). Also they put in overtime and it's really crazy. The patrol the OC fair for overtime and eat a lot. Some of these guys deserve to be paid well though, others not so much and the overtime is where they get a lot of their money.

Last edited:
I'm gonna come out and say this....

I'm okay with cops making this much... I want the cops to be comfortable enough to be unbribable. Sorry.

Although a $100k would have been more reasonable.
I give this post my "seal of approval" :D

Give good money to get good cops, make them unbribable, then give them a bit more power to go after troublemakers like gang members, etc.

I give this post my "seal of approval" :D

Give good money to get good cops, make them unbribable, then give them a bit more power to go after troublemakers like gang members, etc.

No.

I want the people who go into the Police force to do it out of a sense of loyalty and honor, not to make a handsome salary.

Your character is what makes you honest, not your paycheck. Anyone who becomes a cop for the money will invariably start looking around for a way to make more money, because you can never have enough of it.

No.

I want the people who go into the Police force to do it out of a sense of loyalty and honor, not to make a handsome salary.

Your character is what makes you honest, not your paycheck. Anyone who becomes a cop for the money will invariably start looking around for a way to make more money, because you can never have enough of it.

I can't tell if your being sarcastic. A lot of people would say the same argument applies to medicine....which is why some became ****** to excessive procedures and drug companies....

a bit simplistic, I know, given the enormous costs of being a physician...but still..

I can't tell if your being sarcastic. A lot of people would say the same argument applies to medicine....which is why some became ****** to excessive procedures and drug companies....

a bit simplistic, I know, given the enormous costs of being a physician...but still..

I'm not being sarcastic.

A police officer enters the force with minimal effort, other than being physically qualified. Yes, I know some have college degrees, but many (if not most) do not.

I would prefer that, like the clergy, police officers be motivated by a desire to serve the community, rather than getting a new beamer. Similar to the military, I think the best way to ensure that the core values remain in tact is to breed a culture of honor and service, rather than upping paychecks.

I'm not being sarcastic.

A police officer enters the force with minimal effort, other than being physically qualified. Yes, I know some have college degrees, but many (if not most) do not.

I would prefer that, like the clergy, police officers be motivated by a desire to serve the community, rather than getting a new beamer. Similar to the military, I think the best way to ensure that the core values remain in tact is to breed a culture of honor and service, rather than upping paychecks.
People could say the same thing about medicine. Perhaps we physicians should be paid $35,000 per year?

People could say the same thing about medicine. Perhaps we physicians should be paid $35,000 per year?

Police work is infinitely more corruptible than medicine.

Police work is infinitely more corruptible than medicine.
Is it? I've read about a lot of physicians who have been charged with defrauding insurance companies and Medicare, and for physicians who have violated the Stark anti-kickback rules.

To say one specialty is more corruptable than another is the pot calling the kettle black.

Is it? I've read about a lot of physicians who have been charged with defrauding insurance companies and Medicare, and for physicians who have violated the Stark anti-kickback rules.

To say one specialty is more corruptable than another is the pot calling the kettle black.

Not to mention the pharm company thing.

Uh huh. But when physicians do that, people don't die and criminals don't go free. Plus, for a physician to defraud Medicare or insurance companies, it takes premeditation and planning. All a cop has to do is put the money in his pocket and walk away. Basically, for cops it's simpler to become corrupt, and the consequences to the public at large are much more severe.

Fine, you're right, everyone is equal. :rolleyes:

well, there are multiple points, none of them simple. If you did pay doctors 50 to 100,000 dollars a year, you'd get less intelligent people as a whole. However, I think you could decrease some doctors salary without losing any quality.

Last edited:
Uh huh. But when physicians do that, people don't die and criminals don't go free. Plus, for a physician to defraud Medicare or insurance companies, it takes premeditation and planning. All a cop has to do is put the money in his pocket and walk away. Basically, for cops it's simpler to become corrupt, and the consequences to the public at large are much more severe.

So now we're debating one fraud being worse than the other? Fraud is fraud, whether you're defrauding the government of millions of Medicare money or pocketing cash from criminals.

Wanna bet who is viewed more harshly by the criminal justice system? And what the average sentence for corrupt cops vs doctors are?
That has no bearing considering most of the jurors cannot understand white collar crime. It gets so complicated sometimes that even the FBI agents have trouble keeping it straight (at least my friend has trouble keeping it straight).

That has no bearing considering most of the jurors cannot understand white collar crime. It gets so complicated sometimes that even the FBI agents have trouble keeping it straight (at least my friend has trouble keeping it straight).

Not sure if that's the reason. In terms of human needs, physical safety is paramount. If cops are colluding with criminals and pocketing money, then bad guys run free to do what they want and there is no public safety. While I generally agree white collar crime isn't punished severely enough, it is viewed differently because people's general safety isn't necessarily impaired.

However, when you have guys like Enron and others, who have ruined millions of people's retirements...yeah, the human cost there outshines most cop kickbacks, I'll agree.

On the other end of the spectrum...there is a dark side to human nature...that while we agree that white collar criminals are generally schmucks, there is a small part of us that gives them credit for being clever enough to pull it off.