Anyone want to review my PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reno

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After I win the lottery you will be handsomly rewarded.

Members don't see this ad.

Reno said:
After I win the lottery you will be handsomly rewarded.

I think the best way to get it reviewed is to post it. So if you're not too shy, post it.

silas2642 said:
I think the best way to get it reviewed is to post it. So if you're not too shy, post it.

I've just heard its better to send it as a PM and not leave it onlinei

Members don't see this ad :)
Reno said:
I've just heard its better to send it as a PM and not leave it onlinei

make sure you know who you are sending it too.

on a princeton review forum last year, someone stole someone else's PS....

the original writer ended up writing a completely new PS.

It is a bit of a strange time of year to be writing personal statements, no?

theunderdog said:
make sure you know who you are sending it too.

on a princeton review forum last year, someone stole someone else's PS....

the original writer ended up writing a completely new PS.

how do they know that someone stole it?

Flopotomist said:
It is a bit of a strange time of year to be writing personal statements, no?

I am currently in a health writing class with assignments such as grant proposals, information articles etc and our final assignment is a personal statement which is nice if I get it out of the way now and not have to worry about it come June.

diosa428 said:
how do they know that someone stole it?

LOL. u think i guessed that someone stole it???

even if you don't believe my story, here is something you should consider:

user#1 posts PS on forum... for the hundreds, if not thousands, of other users to see.

out of those hundreds (or thousands) of users, just one user (user #2) decides to plagiarize user #1's PS and make it his/her own.

writing style is the same, but just specific details are different.

user #1 is screwed because she/he now has to rewrite the PS.

user #2 benefits.

theunderdog said:
LOL. u think i guessed that someone stole it???

even if you don't believe my story, here is something you should consider:

user#1 posts PS on forum... for the hundreds, if not thousands, of other users to see.

out of those hundreds (or thousands) of users, just one user (user #2) decides to plagiarize user #1's PS and make it his/her own.

writing style is the same, but just specific details are different.

user #1 is screwed because she/he now has to rewrite the PS.

user #2 benefits.

Yes, I UNDERSTAND how it happens, and that's why I never posted my own PS. But I wouldn't rewrite my PS unless I KNEW someone stole it. So on an internet forum of thousands, how do you KNOW someone stole it?

diosa428 said:
Yes, I UNDERSTAND how it happens, and that's why I never posted my own PS. But I wouldn't rewrite my PS unless I KNEW someone stole it. So on an internet forum of thousands, how do you KNOW someone stole it?

LOL. on the internet, you never know.

but on the princeton review forum, someone actually posted on the thread that she was going to take it....

and you will never know someone took it. that's the worst thing. out of all the thousands of people, they don't even have to post that they took it.

but you run the HIGH RISK of applying and having another applicant with a similar personal statement as you. it will get you both rejected from all schools.

theunderdog said:
but you run the HIGH RISK of applying and having another applicant with a similar personal statement as you. it will get you both rejected from all schools.
I don't understand how this is possible. By definition a personal statement is uhm... personal. You can't just write about the life experiences that somebody else has had, because you didn't work at XYZ lab doing ABC research. You didn't volunteer in the LMN clinic in RJQ country... the experiences would be too different...

I'll help you review it .. just send it via PM to me

BMW M3 said:
I'll help you review it .. just send it via PM to me

Thanks!! Anyone else?

Reno said:
Thanks!! Anyone else?

If you want a number of people to read it and post you their feedbacks, why don't you post your PS here? At this point, we have all submitted our applications, and there is no need to steal parts of your PS. Plus, people should be cautious plagiarizing from essays that haven't been "accepted" yet. Anyway, maybe I am turning the entire thread against me, but it took me lots of time and feedback from many individuals to finetune my assay, it is challenging. Knowing as many opinions about your assay as possible really helps you finetune your assay to a level that's appealing for the majority.

DrKitty said:
If you want a number of people to read it and post you their feedbacks, why don't you post your PS here? At this point, we have all submitted our applications, and there is no need to steal parts of your PS. Plus, people should be cautious plagiarizing from essays that haven't been "accepted" yet. Anyway, maybe I am turning the entire thread against me, but it took me lots of time and feedback from many individuals to finetune my assay, it is challenging. Knowing as many opinions about your assay as possible really helps you finetune your assay to a level that's appealing for the majority.

Just a note to be aware - not "everyone here" has submitted their application. There are many viewing these boards (like myself) who are applying in years to come. That said, I would hope no one is dishonest enough to use someone elses statement (we are tyring to become physicians here...integrity is a premium) but nonetheless, I unfortunately suspect there have been cases.