Anyone who can clarify Glycolysis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterpostbacst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think Kaplan BB, Cliff's, and Topscore says Glycolysis differently.

1. ATP from Substrate level phosphorylation is including 2ATP from glycolysis and 2ATP from Kreb cycle?

2. How much ATP is produced in Glycolysis?
4ATP generated(2ATP each producing pyruvate) - 2ATP invested(to producing 2 PGAL in glycolysis)= total 2ATP?

But, Kaplan BB at page 636 says, 2NADH*2ATP/NADH(4ATP more), so total is 6ATP in glycolysis? But, doesn't it NADH produce 3ATP?

3. Topscore says in the set 3, that oxidative phosphorylation produces 34ATP, but isn't it 32ATP? The oxidative phosphorylation does not include Krebs cycle, doesn't it?

4. Fermentation produces 2ATP?

Anyone has a clear diagram or something on this?
Thanks@!!!!!

My DAT is on this coming Saturday@@@@@!!@!@

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

1. ATP from Substrate level phosphorylation is including 2ATP from glycolysis and 2ATP from Kreb cycle?
yes
4ATP generated(2ATP each producing pyruvate) - 2ATP invested(to producing 2 PGAL in glycolysis)= total 2ATP?

2 net atp produced by glycolysis. if you include the NADH from glycolysis, then you have 6 atp just from glycolysis.

But, Kaplan BB at page 636 says, 2NADH*2ATP/NADH(4ATP more), so total is 6ATP in glycolysis? But, doesn't it NADH produce 3ATP?

NADH produced in glycolysis has to be transported into the matrix. It is first converted into FADH2 which yields 2 atp. This is why NADH from glycolysis gives you only 2 atp rather than 3

3. Topscore says in the set 3, that oxidative phosphorylation produces 34ATP, but isn't it 32ATP? The oxidative phosphorylation does not include Krebs cycle, doesn't it?

Thanks@!!!!!

Check the table I posted here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=647997

NADH produced during glycolysis is equavalent to 2ATP molecules in case of eukaryoyes and 3ATP molecules in case of prokaryotes. Why?
Eukaryotes have mitochondria. The NADH molecules must be transported into the mitochondria in order to undergo oxidation in the electron transport chain and produce ATP. Transport of NADH across the mitochondrial membrane requires roughly 1ATP equivalent of energy. So, any NADH that is produced outside the mitochondria is only equivalent to 2 ATP molecules (3-1 = 2).
This is not the case for prokaryotes, because they lack the mitochondria.

Look at the table I posted.
Yes! Fermentation is simply glycolysis under anerobic conditions.

Thanks@!!!!!

Good luck:thumbup: