Anyone who knows anything about East Central University in OK..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peds555

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m wanting to transfer there from a community college (only took a few classes at the cc), but ECU’s website only talks about students getting into osu’s DO school mainly. I’m worried that their students are usually not competitive enough to get into MD schools. But they could just be mentioning OSU’s program a lot because they offer a 3+1 program with OSU’s DO med school. If you know anything about how competitive ECU students are, please tell me! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I’m wanting to transfer there from a community college (only took a few classes at the cc), but ECU’s website only talks about students getting into osu’s DO school mainly. I’m worried that their students are usually not competitive enough to get into MD schools. But they could just be mentioning OSU’s program a lot because they offer a 3+1 program with OSU’s DO med school. If you know anything about how competitive ECU students are, please tell me! :)
You really do have to get this information directly from them, because they are the only ones who have it.

We can tell you that, in general, success is based on the individual, not on the school, although people coming out of some top ranked schools do receive some sort of undefined bump because med schools have seen a ton of their students over the years and are familiar with the product.

ECU does not appear on a list AAMC publishes of schools producing at least 50 applicants per year, so it's safe to assume that its sample size is small and you can't draw any conclusions from whatever their results are. If you are an extraordinary applicant, you can be successful applying from anywhere, and there really isn't anything more to say than that. Your ultimate success will depend on you, not on where you finish up your bachelors degree. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
You really do have to get this information directly from them, because they are the only ones who have it.

We can tell you that, in general, success is based on the individual, not on the school, although people coming out of some top ranked schools do receive some sort of undefined bump because med schools have seen a ton of their students over the years and are familiar with the product.

ECU does not appear on a list AAMC publishes of schools producing at least 50 applicants per year, so it's safe to assume that its sample size is small and you can't draw any conclusions from whatever their results are. If you are an extraordinary applicant, you can be successful applying from anywhere, and there really isn't anything more to say than that. Your ultimate success will depend on you, not on where you finish up your bachelors degree. Good luck!!!
Okay thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I know you said it’s ultimately up to me, but is it a bad thing if a school doesn’t have more than 50 applicants per year? Do you think it would be safer to just go to OU that for sure has a good pre med program? Also, on ECU’s website it says that 92% of students that apply to med schools get accepted within 3 years that they graduate. Is that really good?

I know you said it’s ultimately up to me, but is it a bad thing if a school doesn’t have more than 50 applicants per year? Do you think it would be safer to just go to OU that for sure has a good pre med program? Also, on ECU’s website it says that 92% of students that apply to med schools get accepted within 3 years that they graduate. Is that really good?
92% IS really good, but you have to be careful because I'm sure they are including DO, and many schools also include Caribbean, which has basically a 100% accept rate, and some schools steer away people they don't believe will be successful.

Not having 50 applicants is neither good nor bad. It just means that they are small and don't have a lot of premeds.

Bigger schools will have more structured, and maybe better, premed advising, but you will also be competing with a lot more people from your school when it's time to apply. OU might be a better school, but it's not a T20 school that will give you any advantage when you are applying to med schools, so don't go there for that reason. The key is to go where you have the best chance to do as well as you possibly can, because that will be the biggest determinant of your success. If you do well, it might actually be easier to stand out at ECU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
92% IS really good, but you have to be careful because I'm sure they are including DO, and many schools also include Caribbean, which has basically a 100% accept rate, and some schools steer away people they don't believe will be successful.

Not having 50 applicants is neither good nor bad. it just means that they are small and don't have a lot of premeds.

Bigger schools will have more structured, and maybe better, premed advising, but you will also be competing with a lot more people form your school when it's time to apply. OU might be a better school, but it's not a T20 school that will give you any advantage when you are applying to med schools, so don't go there for that reason. The key is to go where you have the best chance to do as well as you possibly can, because that will be the biggest determinant of your success. If you do well, it might actually be easier to stand out at ECU.
Okay! Thank you so much for your advice!!