Anyone with a LizzyM Score Below 65 With Interview Invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because there is a "3.0-3.3 gpa with interview invite" thread and a "27-29 MCAT with interview invite" thread, but a lot the folks who posted in those threads had correspondingly high MCATs or GPAs. So even if they had a 29 MCAT, many had a 3.9 GPA. And, 3.9*10 + 29 - 1 = 67 is respectable (maybe not by SDN standards, but better than me).

JoeM: 64.6, 1 MD interview at UNC (non-URM)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting this thread because there is a "3.0-3.3 gpa with interview invite" thread and a "27-29 MCAT with interview invite" thread, but a lot the folks who posted in those threads had correspondingly high MCATs or GPAs. So even if they had a 29 MCAT, many had a 3.9 GPA. And, 3.9*10 + 29 - 1 = 67 is respectable (maybe not by SDN standards, but better than me).

Your formula is wrong. That's for the school. For those stats, it would be 3.9*10 + 29 = 68. So you're actually 65.6. Congrats! You're better than you think

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM score of 64.8 here, 3 interviews attended so far. I'm a reapp and a bit non-trad though and have a lot of clinical experience and other good EC's. Numbers definitely aren't everything!

LizzyM score of 64.8 here, 3 interviews attended so far. I'm a reapp and a bit non-trad though and have a lot of clinical experience and other good EC's. Numbers definitely aren't everything!

Congrats!

I'm a reapp as well.

2 DO Acceptances, 7 MD invites (one top 10, one top 20). More to it than numbers!

2 DO acceptances, 5 MD interviews, 63 URM.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Nice thread...should be pretty informative!

Last edited:
LizzyM score is the BMI of applying to medical school, so idk if < 65 really tells the whole story. But what do I know...

Members don't see this ad :)
Lizzy M has GPA multiplier of 10, is this science or cum. GPA?

LizzyM score is the BMI of applying to medical school, so idk if < 65 really tells the whole story. But what do I know...

I think that's the point. Basically people want to see that scores alone are not always make it or break it. Obviously there is more to these candidates than numbers alone and if that's all that schools looked at some of us may never be considered.

How is 68 below a 65?

I'm an idiot, I didn't read the whole thing. Regardless, it's just three points. I think you get the idea. According to SDN to get an interview at top places you need to have a score of a million and saved some African babies... oh and that's after you publish on the New England Journal of Medicine. Sorry if I'm unwanted.:(

I think that's the point. Basically people want to see that scores alone are not always make it or break it. Obviously there is more to these candidates than numbers alone and if that's all that schools looked at some of us may never be considered.

^^This. Numbers aren't everything. To quote LizzyM herself:

"Show me a low stats candidate who is interviewing early and I'll show you someone who has something going on that qualified them to compete with the big guys. I just don't see people who aren't superstars in some regard interviewing in the first 4 weeks or so."

So if you're a low stats applicant who already has an interview invite, congrats! You've obviously got something special in your application! :)

The thing about the low mcat and low gpa with ii threads is they are not real informative for a lot of us because many of those people with low gpas, for example, have awesome mcat scores to make up for that. So you can have someone with a 3.2 gpa and still have a 69 LizzyM score--which is awesome in my opinion.
--

Can someone explain how to calculate the score please?

4th year student here. I had interviews with 3.1/30 when I applied a long time ago. Our school avg is a 3.6/30.8 or something.

I'm an idiot, I didn't read the whole thing. Regardless, it's just three points. I think you get the idea. According to SDN to get an interview at top places you need to have a score of a million and saved some African babies... oh and that's after you publish on the New England Journal of Medicine. Sorry if I'm unwanted.:(

I used to joke about this being the only surefire way to get into med school. Then one day on SDN I saw someone adopted an African child and paid for their schooling for a year.

True story

Oh and im a reapp as well.

63 LizzyM, one MD interview that I'm on my way to now, six DO interviews. Three years of full-time volunteer work probably helped some.

LizzyM score: 64. Two MD IIs...no love from my state schools yet so in hoping I'll be blessed with a few more :)

I used to joke about this being the only surefire way to get into med school. Then one day on SDN I saw someone adopted an African child and paid for their schooling for a year.

True story

hahaha i immediately thought of this...

throwing-money.gif

LizzyM score = gpa (10) + MCAT.

Compare to a school's score which is average gpa(10) + MCAT +/- 1.

When I started this ~5 years ago, I suggested that you would have a good shot at an interview even if your LizzyM score was 1 point less than a school's average. About a year or two ago, I changed that up to say that you should aim for schools with a score 1 point less than your own.

Based on what I've seen in the past couple years, being a combat veteran is worth 5 LizzyM points.

It is hard to say if URM is worth points -- it may depend on a school by school basis. Also keep in mind that some schools sort by state of residence first and ask questions later.

Based on what I've seen in the past couple years, being a combat veteran is worth 5 LizzyM points.

I'm not a combat veteran, but I did serve in the Peace Corps. I've wondered if that had anything to do with getting my first II (from a school whose average matriculant LizzyM score is 3 points above my own).

63.7, non-URM. Two MD invites. I think my EC's are pretty average, though I consider my gap year job pretty important/unique.

My score's a 65 and I have 2 DO acceptances, 1 more DO interview, and 2 MD interviews.

LizzyM score 57.6 (way below ~10 pts from Schools), 2 interview invites (1 acceptance to state MD, Just interviewed at OOS MD in TX), URM, nontraditional like. I was always a premed but I chose to work and take a break before medical school. My activities are average BUT MEANINGFUL to me. My OOS interviewee commented on my essays. I am reapplicant too! I made sure to transform my entire application. My essays and apps showed reflectiveness and I used a unified theme as much as I could (Perseverance/Determination). Interviews went extremely well. I suspect I had excellent LORs too!

When you realize what you really want in life, all things fall into place! You have to make yourself stand out! People on here tend to be neurotic and don't represent the majority of applicants. Just do you and you will be fine. :thumbup:

Last edited:
63.3 score here for cGPA, 64.7 with sGPA.

Interview at UCONN so far, in-state

I'm barely above the 65 mark (65.2 with sGPA and 66.2 with cGPA). I figured I would post because my score is really close and it might give insight into what can "save" your application. 5 II at schools where my Lizzy M score is well below average (with the exception of maybe Drexel, but I'm still below).

Attended 4 interviews: 1 acceptance at Drexel, 1 post-interview hold at OHSU, waiting for decisions from Rush and Albert Einstein.

Withdrew from Medical College of Wisconsin once I got into Drexel.

Things on my application that make me "average": 200 hours clinical volunteering, 50 hours shadowing, Asian female
Things that might have helped: bioengineering major, involvement in lots of student organizations
Things that set me apart: 2.5 years research with two second author publications, three summers of industry work (related to engineering)

I spoke a lot about integrating engineering and research into medicine in my personal statement/secondaries/at interviews.

I think a lot of how well you do comes down to how you present yourself as a package. Never focus on the negatives and always play up what sets you apart from everyone else!

LizzyM Score of 59.2 (which is the score I received when I used the LizzyM excel spreadsheet that's out there)

I'm URM not-trad. Tons of clinical experience (over 5 years) in rural and underserved areas.

11 interview invitations. 7 DO and 4MD. One of those MD program is top 10 and another is top 20.

After my first DO acceptance, I canceled my 4 other DO interviews. I canceled one MD interview because I could not afford the travel expense. So far, 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO waitlist. Still waiting to hear back from the MD programs.

Lizzy M of 61 here, ORM, non-trad, 1 MD II which offered me an acceptance.

65.3 (okay, barely over) & late applicant. 2MD II, and still waiting for state school.

63 non-AA URM. 7 MD II.

LizzyM score 57.6 (way below ~10 pts from Schools), 2 interview invites (1 acceptance to state MD, Just interviewed at OOS MD in TX), URM, nontraditional like. I was always a premed but I chose to work and take a break before medical school. My activities are average BUT MEANINGFUL to me. My OOS interviewee commented on my essays. I am reapplicant too! I made sure to transform my entire application. My essays and apps showed reflectiveness and I used a unified theme as much as I could (Perseverance/Determination). Interviews went extremely well. I suspect I had excellent LORs too!

When you realize what you really want in life, all things fall into place! You have to make yourself stand out! People on here tend to be neurotic and don't represent the majority of applicants. Just do you and you will be fine. :thumbup:

congrats on the acceptance! wow! update your mdapps!

Score of 65. ORM with 1 MD acceptance and 4 total MD interviews (haven't attended 3).

65 LizzyM score with 5 MD and 11 DO interviews so far. Also ORM and from California.

I haven't posted here lately but I had my second MD interview recently, :)
I'm hoping it went better than my first interview but I have to wait until middle of December before I will hear back.

Recently received second MD II: 3.47cgpa, 3.14sgpa, 31N, non-URM :)