1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone with low step 1 scores match in OBGYN

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by OBfan, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Just wanted to get a feel for if I have a chance to match. I have a 185 step 1 score. I did really well in my OBGYN rotation (the PD offered me a spot outside the match when I apply next year).

I know I have this spot in the bag but its a community hospital and I was hoping for an academic program. Am I reaching for something that isnt realistic?

I am an IMG and I take step 2 in a few months.

Any advice would be great. Im just feeling a little down. I really wanted to go into OBGYN and since I recieved my step 1 score life has been pretty rough.

thanks and all the best!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Anyone have any advice. Really would love to get some feedback.

4. kauai

kauai Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If OB/GYN is not too competitive this year, you might have a chance at matching at an academic program -- especially one that is not in a desirable geographic location. For example, the University of Kentucky did not match several spots last year and I believe that geography may have played a role in that happening (for the record, I am not saying that the Univ. of Kentucky is not a good program -- I know nothing about it). I would try your best to really do well on Step 2 to counterbalance your Step 1 score. I would also try to do an elective at an academic program that you think you have a shot at and work hard to impress them and get along with the residents so the residents will express a desire for you to join their ranks -- a lot of programs do listen to the residents opinions on applicants. If your elective goes well I would continue to express your interest in the program after you have left. Best of luck!

5. How many do you think I should apply to? I am hoping to match at an academic program in NY because I would like to do a fellowship. Do you think my weak step 1 score will not kill my chances?

6. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

which fellowship are you thinking? i believe gyne onc(or is it REI?...i forget which one) only has 30 fellowship spots nationwide.

7. chocchip

chocchip Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I believe there are 37 REI programs, 40 gyn-onc programs, and 64 MFM programs (most accept 1/year with a handful accepting 2/year). Not really sure about the uro-gyn fellowships...

8. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

well there ya go...i stand corrected. :)

9. kauai

kauai Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think applying to academic programs in NYC could be difficult with your Step 1 score and the fact that you are an IMG. Programs such as Cornell; Columbia; NYU; Mt. Sinai;and Einstein are likely to not be interested. However, New York Medical College in Valhalla (Westchester) or SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn) you might have a shot at. There are also some fairly good programs in NYC that are not "academic" such as Beth Israel and St. Luke's Roosevelt that you might want to look into -- however, because of their location I think they tend to attract a fair amount of applicants.

If you know what type of fellowship you want to apply to I would recommend that you go to a residency program that has a fellowship in that specialty or strong faculty in that specialty -- especially for the more competitive fellowships (gyn onc; repro endo). Fellowship programs often take their own residents to fill their positions and you also want to have good contacts in the field to get a fellowship at any program.

I would probably apply to at least 20 programs and I would apply to a good mix --some reach programs and some safe programs.

10. kauai

kauai Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I assumed when you said New York, you were thinking NYC. However, if you are looking at New York state there are other academic programs as well that I think you have a shot at-- Albany Medical College; SUNY Upstate (Syracuse); and SUNY Buffalo. There is also SUNY Stony Brook (Long Island) but that program may be more difficult to match at then the other three mentioned.

11. chocchip

chocchip Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't know it off the top of my head or anything... :)

Here's the website of programs and their specific fellowship programs:

http://www.abog.org/sub/subcert.html

12. Maitreyi

Maitreyi New Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a question along the same lines. Step one score of 214. I'm a nontrad student, so I've done some other stuff before hand - lots of research experience, prior research in OB, MPH etc. What are my chances for matching in california ( I'm a cali resident, but not in school there currently).

I'd really appreciate your input.