anyone with low step 1 scores match in OBGYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OBfan

Just wanted to get a feel for if I have a chance to match. I have a 185 step 1 score. I did really well in my OBGYN rotation (the PD offered me a spot outside the match when I apply next year).

I know I have this spot in the bag but its a community hospital and I was hoping for an academic program. Am I reaching for something that isnt realistic?

I am an IMG and I take step 2 in a few months.

Any advice would be great. Im just feeling a little down. I really wanted to go into OBGYN and since I recieved my step 1 score life has been pretty rough.

thanks and all the best!

Members don't see this ad.

If OB/GYN is not too competitive this year, you might have a chance at matching at an academic program -- especially one that is not in a desirable geographic location. For example, the University of Kentucky did not match several spots last year and I believe that geography may have played a role in that happening (for the record, I am not saying that the Univ. of Kentucky is not a good program -- I know nothing about it). I would try your best to really do well on Step 2 to counterbalance your Step 1 score. I would also try to do an elective at an academic program that you think you have a shot at and work hard to impress them and get along with the residents so the residents will express a desire for you to join their ranks -- a lot of programs do listen to the residents opinions on applicants. If your elective goes well I would continue to express your interest in the program after you have left. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
kauai said:
If OB/GYN is not too competitive this year, you might have a chance at matching at an academic program -- especially one that is not in a desirable geographic location. For example, the University of Kentucky did not match several spots last year and I believe that geography may have played a role in that happening (for the record, I am not saying that the Univ. of Kentucky is not a good program -- I know nothing about it). I would try your best to really do well on Step 2 to counterbalance your Step 1 score. I would also try to do an elective at an academic program that you think you have a shot at and work hard to impress them and get along with the residents so the residents will express a desire for you to join their ranks -- a lot of programs do listen to the residents opinions on applicants. If your elective goes well I would continue to express your interest in the program after you have left. Best of luck!

How many do you think I should apply to? I am hoping to match at an academic program in NY because I would like to do a fellowship. Do you think my weak step 1 score will not kill my chances?

OBfan said:
How many do you think I should apply to? I am hoping to match at an academic program in NY because I would like to do a fellowship. Do you think my weak step 1 score will not kill my chances?

which fellowship are you thinking? i believe gyne onc(or is it REI?...i forget which one) only has 30 fellowship spots nationwide.

I believe there are 37 REI programs, 40 gyn-onc programs, and 64 MFM programs (most accept 1/year with a handful accepting 2/year). Not really sure about the uro-gyn fellowships...

chocchip said:
I believe there are 37 REI programs, 40 gyn-onc programs, and 64 MFM programs (most accept 1/year with a handful accepting 2/year). Not really sure about the uro-gyn fellowships...

well there ya go...i stand corrected. :)

I think applying to academic programs in NYC could be difficult with your Step 1 score and the fact that you are an IMG. Programs such as Cornell; Columbia; NYU; Mt. Sinai;and Einstein are likely to not be interested. However, New York Medical College in Valhalla (Westchester) or SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn) you might have a shot at. There are also some fairly good programs in NYC that are not "academic" such as Beth Israel and St. Luke's Roosevelt that you might want to look into -- however, because of their location I think they tend to attract a fair amount of applicants.

If you know what type of fellowship you want to apply to I would recommend that you go to a residency program that has a fellowship in that specialty or strong faculty in that specialty -- especially for the more competitive fellowships (gyn onc; repro endo). Fellowship programs often take their own residents to fill their positions and you also want to have good contacts in the field to get a fellowship at any program.

I would probably apply to at least 20 programs and I would apply to a good mix --some reach programs and some safe programs.

I assumed when you said New York, you were thinking NYC. However, if you are looking at New York state there are other academic programs as well that I think you have a shot at-- Albany Medical College; SUNY Upstate (Syracuse); and SUNY Buffalo. There is also SUNY Stony Brook (Long Island) but that program may be more difficult to match at then the other three mentioned.

I have a question along the same lines. Step one score of 214. I'm a nontrad student, so I've done some other stuff before hand - lots of research experience, prior research in OB, MPH etc. What are my chances for matching in california ( I'm a cali resident, but not in school there currently).

I'd really appreciate your input.