Anyone with only 1 interview so far???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trojanMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
same boat with worse stats although complete earlier at the end of august.

While im super thankful for the one interview I have, its a little disconcerting to have all my eggs in one basket. I've been complete at the 25+ MD schools I applied to since mid/late Sept. and I have no idea what the hold up is. My stats are very average 3.7, 30, but my ECs are pretty good (IMO). I was sure to apply to a good range of schools. I figured I would have more than one at this point:confused: Being an SDN lurker, its really alarming to see everyone else having so much success so early. I can't help but think there must be something wrong with my app. Hmmm....

Anyone else in the same situation? Lets unite and feel sorry for ourselves!!

I too am in your shoes patna but we can't feel sorry for ourselves. That won't make the situation any better. I am extremely thankful for my one interview. We have to motivate each other and keep each other going. It is still really early in the process. We will be good, just have to be patient and keep believing. Let's keep our eyes on the prize! God bless!

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am in your shoes patna but we can't feel sorry for ourselves. That won't make the situation any better. I am extremely thankful for my one interview. We have to motivate each other and keep each other going. It is still really early in the process. We will be good, just have to be patient and keep believing. Let's keep our eyes on the prize! God bless!

is it, though? I don't know. I don't think it's that early anymore...yeah, there are tons of interviews that will take place much later but I think those slots are being filled by invites right NOW. for example, NYMC is scheduling interviews for like February-March already or something. I'm not sure.

anyways, I'm in the same boat as you guys. I had my one interview last week and nothing since. no more interview invites or anything. I've been complete since mid-September. I just really want some more interview invites now! I'm supposed to hear back from my one interview in a few weeks, but the deans told us they waitlist most ppl off the bat till March. they said they admit very few ppl at the beginning. since my #s are low, I don't see any reason why I would be one of those few lucky acceptances. I just want to get more interviews, arrgghhh. it would be SO nice to get in next month so I don't have to start restudying for that stupid MCAT. I don't want to retake that ****, but I can't wait till like March to start studying for it because I need the retake DONE so I can reapply. I'd have to start seriously studying when January starts, grrr.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that it's still "early," per se, but it's FAR from being late- there's still a LONG way to go! A couple weeks ago, LizzyM said that her school still had about 2/3 of their INTERVIEW invites to hand out, meaning by now they still probably have about half; I know that Baylor just sent out invites this last week for 12/5 and 12/12. I don't know how NYMC does it, but I definitely don't think that filling up invites all the way through Feb and Mar is standard practice everywhere.

I know it's hard to "relax" right now, but at the very least don't let yourself freak out about it at this point :) There's still a LONG road left in this application process.

perhaps some mix up with your amcas or your LOR?

I was complete at end of Sept to beginning of October so I doubt the reason is timing...that said I know i was prob at the end of the "middle" of the application cycle.

that said aquamarine...your stats are awesome and unless you literally applied to the top 12 medical schools, which even then you are very competitive for them it is very bizarre....

I've been hoping that it was I just applied late, but who knows? All the schools that have status check websites show me as "complete" -- all LORs received, everything good -- and the rest have given me the complete email. No holds, no rejections, nothing. The silence is deafening. I can't find a glaring problem with any of my secondaries, but then again, I am biased ;) I'm beginning to feel resigned at this point. Thinking about applying to less competitive schools next cycle (I only had a couple schools in the top 12...but I should've applied somewhere where I had a really good shot, not a crapshoot).

No holds/rejections/etc simply means that probably nobody has actually gotten a chance to look at your application yet. You submitted pretty late, when about a bazillion people were sending out their app at near the last minute; it'll take a while for them to pull your app out from the huge pile sitting on their desk, especially if you applied to a ton of competitive schools that accordingly get a ton of apps. I wouldn't be surprised if you heard something in the next couple of weeks as your app finally starts getting some reviews.

Relax :) Your stats and ECs sound so impressive, you're a near lock for some late-interview love followed by some late-acceptance love, I'd say.

Well I still think it's early. It is only November and some schools interview all the way into April. I don't know. I haven't lost hope. My one interview was last week and they said that we should hear something by the second week in December. I am trusting in the Lord to deliver me and I am believing in Him for an acceptance. We shall see............God bless yall!

thanks, I really hope so. I thought I was a chill person, but this process has totally brought out a neurotic self-deprecating side that I didn't know I had! An interview would sure cheer me up :)

I think you are going to be golden Aqua! You have great stats and I am sure you are a great person. Don't even trip! Your blessing is coming!

While im super thankful for the one interview I have, its a little disconcerting to have all my eggs in one basket. I've been complete at the 25+ MD schools I applied to since mid/late Sept. and I have no idea what the hold up is. My stats are very average 3.7, 30, but my ECs are pretty good (IMO). I was sure to apply to a good range of schools. I figured I would have more than one at this point:confused: Being an SDN lurker, its really alarming to see everyone else having so much success so early. I can't help but think there must be something wrong with my app. Hmmm....

Anyone else in the same situation? Lets unite and feel sorry for ourselves!!
August 15th MCAT, 1 interview on the 10/22, still waiting to hear from them, and no other interviews. trojanMD, which state are you from ?

I'll join the party.

Only interview so far, I've scheduled it this December.

Complete pretty late. Gotta make the interview count.

I'm in the same boat. I had one interview last month and one coming up in December, other than that, nadda. Actually, I have gotten a few rejections (from state schools where I do not live). I'm freaking out too! 3.2 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, but 37 MCAT and tons of ECs and volunteering. Thanks to a delayed committee letter I wasn't complete until the beginning of October, so I have been hoping that the silence was due to my late apps. Getting a little nervous though as it's almost December...

I got my first interview on Wednesday...you're not the only one. All we can do at this point is make the most of what (little) we've got. Make that interview count.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an update-- at this point in mid-November, I think that about 2/3s of the invitations to interview have been issued (this is for one school -- every school is a bit different).

Many successful applicants wind up at schools that invited them for interview after Nov 21.

I'm with you guys. I have gotten 8 interview invites from DO schools, but only 1 MD school & that is in late Feb (NYMC). Tryin to stay hopeful...

One interview and one acceptance and i can't be any happrier. I was complete on october 1st at on school and recived their acceptance on 22nd.

Am I the only person who checks their email inbox obsessively? The only emails I seem to get are from Victoria's Secret! I don't even buy things from them. Maybe med schools are selling my contact information instead of inviting me to interview!

I might need professional help...:eek:

its waay to early still. imo 6 for a whole cycle would be a tremendous amount of interviews. Interviews are a BIG DEAL. if you get 1 that means they really want you.

One interview invite here as well.

Carrie, I'm the same way ... I have my gmail page open all day long.

Well misery loves company!

One question I have: if there are 45,000 applicants for 18,000 spots in med school, why does it seem much much more difficult than ~50% to get into med school??!? How is that possible? Oh well... back to scrutinizing my inbox...

Same here. I have my one and only interview next week :eek: I am perpetually "pending review" at all the other schools I have applied to. It's going on four months since I've been complete at some of the schools. :(

Well misery loves company!

One question I have: if there are 45,000 applicants for 18,000 spots in med school, why does it seem much much more difficult than ~50% to get into med school??!? How is that possible? Oh well... back to scrutinizing my inbox...

... because that's actually 40%?

In all actuality guys, there's still plenty of time. You never know when your number's going to get called :)

... because that's actually 40%?

In all actuality guys, there's still plenty of time. You never know when your number's going to get called :)

Well, if you want to nit-pick... I was rounding and I think it's a little higher than 40%, but the point is, that's a substantial number!

LizzyM, does your school silently reject applicants or do you always notify them if they have been unsuccessful? I am beginning to think that every school silently rejects applicants. Is it difficult to send a generic, automated email that says you were rejected?

Also, my tone is not meant to be condescending, but is an honest inquiry based upon my observation of the application process thus far.

Well, if you want to nit-pick... I was rounding and I think it's a little higher than 40%, but the point is, that's a substantial number!

lol, its exactly 40%. :)

I think its because the top tier candidates get a lot of interviews and hog up a lot of the preliminary acceptances. I would be interested to know how many people out of the 18,000 get accepted off the waitlist.

lol, its exactly 40%. :)

I think its because the top tier candidates get a lot of interviews and hog up a lot of the preliminary acceptances. I would be interested to know how many people out of the 18,000 get accepted off the waitlist.

Good gracious people! The actual number of applicants is 42,315 and the number of spots is 17,759 which is 42% (thus, my comment about rounding). Great googly moogly!

Good gracious people! The actual number of applicants is 42,315 and the number of spots is 17,759 which is 42% (thus, my comment about rounding). Great googly moogly!

OK, I'll be honest, I was just giving you a hard time to bait a "great googly moogly" out of you :laugh: There's clearly not enough googly or moogly on these boards.

OK, I'll be honest, I was just giving you a hard time to bait a "great googly moogly" out of you :laugh: There's clearly not enough googly or moogly on these boards.
I'm glad I could oblige! I am usually happy to provide plenty of googly and ample moogly. Perhaps this is why I can't get into medical school...

LizzyM, does your school silently reject applicants or do you always notify them if they have been unsuccessful? I am beginning to think that every school silently rejects applicants. Is it difficult to send a generic, automated email that says you were rejected?

Also, my tone is not meant to be condescending, but is an honest inquiry based upon my observation of the application process thus far.

Here's what I wrote to someone who PM'ed me awhile back with a similar question:

Rejections are forever and a high ranking member of the admissions office staff once told me that the powers that be are loath to make a irreversible decision until it is absolutely necessary. Information may come to the attention of the office very late in the season often in the form of a call from the development office or from a faculty member asking for consideration of an applicant that hasn't been interviewed anywhere. Initially, people don't want any special favors but when it gets to Jan/Feb they start dialing. In those cases, the office might give an interview as a courtesy altough it is pretty clear that it will take a miracle for someone who didn't look good on paper to so impress the interviewers that an offer of admission or a waitlist becomes a possibility. These interviews couldn't take place if a irrevocable "decline" letter had already gone out. So, several thousand applicants are left on the hook in the off chance that someone whould need a courtesy interview.

Another possible reason for this madness is that sometimes the applicants who wouldn't be anyone's first choice start to look better at the end of the season if the quality and quantity of the applicant pool is less than had been expected. Rather analogous to walking into a singles bar and not ruling out anyone to their face knowing that by closing time they might start to look good (a crude metaphor, I know).

Some schools do give the silent treatment, or send rejections only after the class matriculates. I'm not 100% certain of the procedures at any specific school.

I heard that a huge wave of invites goes out after New Years??? Does anybody know if this is true, and why??

I've only had one, but quite frankly, it doesn't surprise me. I'm a slightly below average numbers applicant, but well above average in activities and PS. I know there are a lot of applicants with higher numbers than me, so I'm sure I'll be getting some love after they've been taken care of. I still have plenty of hope!

Haha, the singles bar analogy encapsulates this process very well. :) I just wish I could position myself next to the door at closing time and maybe accidently drop my purse while guys are leaving.

I've only had one invite. Two pre-interview holds and a whole lot of "under review." I check my email constantly. And lurk. Reading threads on SDN can get discouraging. I'm freaking out a little, even if I know it doesn't change anything. But hey, that invitation was pretty exciting. Maybe more to come?

Just an update-- at this point in mid-November, I think that about 2/3s of the invitations to interview have been issued (this is for one school -- every school is a bit different).

Many successful applicants wind up at schools that invited them for interview after Nov 21.

I sure hope this isnt the case for all schools or else the light at the end of my application tunnel just furthered a couple miles:(

For the person who asked, I'm from California. Possibly another reason why my luck has proven harsh thus far.

On a positive note, my one and only interview went relatively well today, so hopefully good news comes my way. Lets stay hopeful:luck:

Another possible reason for this madness is that sometimes the applicants who wouldn't be anyone's first choice start to look better at the end of the season if the quality and quantity of the applicant pool is less than had been expected. Rather analogous to walking into a singles bar and not ruling out anyone to their face knowing that by closing time they might start to look good (a crude metaphor, I know).

Anybody know which brand of liquor Rochester adcoms like? Cause, I'd really like an interview there...

:laugh:

Anybody know which brand of liquor Rochester adcoms like? Cause, I'd really like an interview there...

:laugh:

Your mdapps page says you are on hold at Rochester, how did you find that out?

Your mdapps page says you are on hold at Rochester, how did you find that out?

Sorry for the delayed response. That was just when they were waiting for my future MCAT scores. I took it twice this summer.

2/3!!! what it went from 1/3 to 2/3 pretty quickly. well i guess the process is going really fast, faster than i thought and the quarter too, it's only two week until finals week :eek:

Tulane interview invite!!!!!!!!!!:D After a month and a half hiatus!:eek: Feels insanely good to have more than one interview to bank on. Interview is in 3 weeks!:D:D

Yes, I have 1 interview invite as of now.

Can I join your commiserating? I had 1 interview, and 1 more in queue coming up in Dec. Of the 2, 1 is my state school... so really I've only passed the gates for 1 non-state school. :( Those 2 are probably my best (and quite possibly only) shots at med school. Reason being my shoddy undergrad GPA (~3.3). My MCAT's "decent" by SDN standards (33T), and my informal post-bacc courses went really well. LORs are about average, I think. PS is excellent, ECs are unique/interesting.

I'm on pre-interview hold at 2 schools, and "continue to review" for 2 other schools. Remaining schools are just silent (been complete since late Sept for majority of schools, a few in Oct, a few in Nov). I'm most hopeful about the "hold rescreen" schools that are going to look at me again in Jan/Feb. The silent ones otoh, I'm really iffy about. But who knows? I guess we just have to keep hopeful.