You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone Work at a Cancer Hospital?
Started by rx2010
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm thinking about applying to a cancer hospital. Is it difficult preparing chemo meds?
Depends on your role and how roles are setup at said hospital. Some require the pharmacist to prepare chemo, others require the pharmacist to check / verify prep of chemo.
In my personal experience, I have never seen an RPh prepare chemo (coming from hospitals in Florida and Oregon). I know on this forum, others have seen differently.
Chemo is not hard to prepare, but you do need to practice extra precautions. Different hood for prep (vertical flow), extra gown and gloves for protection, different needle-handling techniques, use of haz-mat, and many more unique chemo prep steps are all required for safe use.
Also, the stakes are higher for safety and efficacy.
Have you ever made IVs before? Its the same thing except that you dress in chemo protective clothing, use chemo pins and negative pressure, and wash everything with Dakins.I'm thinking about applying to a cancer hospital. Is it difficult preparing chemo meds?
Your biggest concern is preventing exposure as much as possible.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds like an interesting opportunity that will look good on your résumé... I would have been a little dangerous if they wouldn't have invested time teaching me the basics.. Hopefully they don't just throw you into the mix... just remember.. chemo's aren't STAT
i would rather not work with chemo. the air particles from the chemo can kill you over time.
Swine flu!
i would rather not work with chemo. the air particles from the chemo can kill you over time.
damn idiot pre-pharm kids........

Swine flu!
Swine flu! That's the funniest thing I have heard all day! 😆
Swine flu! That's the funniest thing I have heard all day! 😆
I'm sorry!
I'm sorry!
So funny! Because pigs = swine and flu sounds like the past tense of fly. Hilarious!
I probably sound like I am being sarcastic in the above but I am totally serious. Funny stuff. Your remark made me laugh harder than the picture itself.

So funny! Because pigs = swine and flu sounds like the past tense of fly. Hilarious!
I probably sound like I am being sarcastic in the above but I am totally serious. Funny stuff. Your remark made me laugh harder than the picture itself.![]()
I was sorry because that was the funniest thing you'd heard all day 😉
I was sorry because that was the funniest thing you'd heard all day 😉
Ouch! Toche.
This. The hardest part is getting some of that #$)%^)@~ tubing to prime without microscopic bubbles all up in my business.Have you ever made IVs before? Its the same thing except that you dress in chemo protective clothing, use chemo pins and negative pressure, and wash everything with Dakins.
Your biggest concern is preventing exposure as much as possible.
i would rather not work with chemo. the air particles from the chemo can kill you over time.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
****ing bubbles are a bitch especially with taxol but theres a new toy in the hospital that eliminates us from putting tails on bags...This. The hardest part is getting some of that #$)%^)@~ tubing to prime without microscopic bubbles all up in my business.
http://www.icumed.com/clave-connector.asp
gorgeous.
In all fairness, he's right. Second hand exposure over years may lead to CML which could kill you.
In all fairness, he's right. Second hand exposure over years may lead to CML which could kill you.
BCR-ABL ain't got **** on me.
****ing bubbles are a bitch especially with taxol but theres a new toy in the hospital that eliminates us from putting tails on bags...
http://www.icumed.com/clave-connector.asp
gorgeous.
The clave is *ing awesome!!!
damn idiot pre-pharm kids........![]()
actually i just finished an oncology rotation at a reputable cancer institute.
im sure you were one of them idiot pre-pharm kids.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38114586/
actually i just finished an oncology rotation at a reputable cancer institute.
im sure you were one of them idiot pre-pharm kids.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38114586/
Thanks for posting that link. It's making me have second thoughts about applying...
Keep in mind that many of those complications resulted from poor safety practices. Vertical laminar flow hoods, negative pressure techniques and their ilk are all relatively new, at least universally. As long as you follow OSHA and USP standards, along with good common sense, you'll be fine.
There are Cancer Hospitals like MD Anderson... a world renowned research center where you'd likely need a PGY1 & 2.
Then there are cancer centers either affiliated with a medical center or private corporation like centers... typically outpatient.
The 2nd option is usually a 1 or 2 man operation M-F preparing oncologics for patients in the infusion suite.
Then there are cancer centers either affiliated with a medical center or private corporation like centers... typically outpatient.
The 2nd option is usually a 1 or 2 man operation M-F preparing oncologics for patients in the infusion suite.