Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodDoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
anyone out there is thinking about or have applied for 1 year MS program? Did you take gre and when did you apply? how is stipend..most importantly, which are the best programs in terms of curriculum and research.? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Chicago and I have attended UIC undergrad. I know that it is possible to complete an MPH in about a year if you take a heavy full time course load. I heard that the program is not that competitive, so GRE scores are average. Stipends are generally not given unless you do a graduate fellowship, but if you apply for a grad degree in Biology, you can get around 3 grand a month and tuition paid. Hope this helps!

I'm in a 2 year chemistry M.S. program. The stipend is $1400 a month and tuition. I didn't take the GRE but my undergrad was from the same institution (different department though). I applied in December of last year and was accepted in March for fall 2002. Course loads are three formal classes a term first year as well as teaching responsibilities. Second year is 1 course a term and research. The remaining credit hours both years are filled with blanket hours (or thesis hours).

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks to your great advice. I am in the process of searching for the right MS programs. Are there any 1 year MS program that you have known of? Please share if you know one.

Hmmmm.....I don't personally know of any 1 year programs, although I'm sure there are some. I don't know how you would fit everything in though, unless you don't do a thesis masters but instead only pursue a project masters. A friend of mine completed a M.S. in analytical chemistry in a year and one term. He opted for the project masters (doing his project during the summer) and took four to five chemistry classes a term during the school year........I think he was insane!