anything about NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some info about NYCOM? I went to their site and im sorry to say...."it sucks" they dont tell you much about anything.... anyone who goes there mind to share some their info?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want to know???

Nycom is a DO school with a graduating class of regular student ~ 260 and ~ 40 APEP ( advanced 3 yr program for foreign MD's who want to be trained in the US)

The first two years you take all of your standard courses. The format is lectures and multiple choice tests. The third and fourth years you rotate. The third year we have affiliated hospitals on Long Island, in New York City, and upstate NY. At a few of our hospitals you rotate along side downstate (the state school), Albert Eienstien and NYU students. In the forth year you have the option of doing some rotations outside of NYCOM programs. Students have done rotations at all of the big hospitals in the area - Columbia, Cornell . . . .

Cost goes up about $1,000 each year. Tuition is $25,500 but there are another $1,500 worth of mandatory fees and insurance is another $2,000.

I don't know what are pass rates are for Step 1, 2 3 etc.

Secondary applications are only given to students selected for an interview. The school is one of the few that does not charge you any extra money unless they are going to interview you. I think about half of those selcted for interviews are accepted with about half of those choosing to matriculate.

Like most schools some students are happier than they have a right to be and others are miserable and complain every day.

This year they changed a lot of the testing procedures rearranged the schedule and the first year students do not seem to be thrilled with it. However, a lot less of them failed classes this year compared to previous years. I think they plan to make changes again next year.

NYCOM,
What are the questions on the secondary application? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
For your info, NYCOM does not send out a secondary application after you send in your aacomas application. You must complete a secondary essay at NYCOM, only if you are selected for an interview.

What is the deal with NYCOM's website? They need to accept a few computer science majors :D

The website is lousy and the worse part is that we are part of the New York Institute of Technology so you think we could do better.

There are two other web sites with more "stuff". One is a discussion board and the other has powerpoints and lecutre notes. They both require passwords that are given to you once you matriculate.

The secondary like I said is different than other schools. NYCOM reviews your initial application, if you meet the academic and other criteria (who knows what they are) then you are sent a letter inviting you for an interview. At the interview you pay your fee for the secondary and complete it. The secondary had some lame essay question (I have forgotten what it was) and the usual emplyment/school/volunteer/hobby history.

nycom,

What is the site for the lecture notes?
I have the password for the webboard, would it be the same for the lecture notes?

Thanx
Alex
NYCOM 2005

I just got over my first year at NYCOM. I wasn't happy during my first few months here but the class bonding that took place during this last month really changed me. The students of my class were so generous that they taped class lectures and transcribed them and posted them on the webboard for the rest of us to study from for the exams. Everybody worked together to get through this huge tornado of nine exams in one week!!
NYCOM will be a nice place. Just do the studying and work hard. Our class has 300 students. I assume your class will too. Check your orientation paket ( that they must have mailed to you....that has the webboard address with your password in there). That will allow you to access the NYCOM webboard and you can participate in all the NYCOM talk on the webboard. Just enjoy your summer right now and come prepared to have a lifetime of memories unlike anything that you have ever been through. If you have any problems the second years will always be there to help. NYCOM is a good school. It is affiliated with excellent hospitals and residency programs. You just have to work hard and study all the time. The social life has gotten a lot better than it was before...This time a few students actually posted invitations inviting us to a party after the final exams...I was too tired to go to the party though. I slept at home. You will meet a lot of smart kids in class. It will be a fun place and you will learn a lot too. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

I'm a '95 graduate of NYCOM so things may have changed a lot since then. At that time the first two years were quite grueling, although I enjoyed anatomy lab and pathology quite a bit. Everyone was very happy to start clinical rotations in third year because of the great selection of New York area hospitals that will prepare you well for your rotating internship. Our rule of thumb for passing the first two years was to over-study. Clinically, NYCOM students are perceived as go-getters (at least back then) so a little more may be expected of you than from students from other medical schools. If I had it to do all over again (and if I were younger when I started) I would have gone into surgery -- that's where common sense D.O.'s are needed, although it is very difficult to break into the surgery guild once you finish residency.