AO course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twin2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I was wondering if anyone knew about an AO course that is good for podiatry residents to take?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone knew about an AO course that is good for podiatry residents to take?
Thank you!
Yeah bro, AO isn't a thing anymore except something you read about in McGlamry or get pimped on as a student. Bonus knowledge bomb - the handle in the synthes set is made of pressed linen.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah bro, AO isn't a thing anymore except something you read about in McGlamry or get pimped on as a student. Bonus knowledge bomb - the handle in the synthes set is made of pressed linen.
Brooooo the pressed linen thing was the difference between me passing and failing my podiometric traumatology class. Clutch.

Even to this day when I’m piecing together a crunched up ankle and the final fluoro shots have the fragment pieces fixated with even more displacement than pre op, I turn everyone’s frown in the OR to a smile by letting them know about the pressed linen handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno...it's interesting, and it reinforces a lot of what your training is teaching you. Also, it's a nice little break during residency. I still keep it on my CV that I completed the normal and advanced courses...so, I'd say it's worth it.

Thanks for the quality responses to this thread guys... doing a killer job

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I still use Synthes solid screws for the vast majority of my work... austins, met osteotomies, fractures, fusions, heel osteotomy, etc etc. It is cheaper and stronger than titanium or cannulated stuff (for the smaller screw sizes), and the screwdrivers to remove it will anywhere the pt might ever end up. Their locking and cannulated steel stuff is stronger and price competitive against the minor implant companies also.

Talk to your local rep, but the AO course basic and advanced with sawbones and such isn't really a thing anymore to my knowledge. It evolved into basically sets of videos on the SynthesResident and SynthesSurgeon websites... and not even sure what it is present day from AONA and DePuy (Zoom?). You can learn that stuff from books (AO books, Sig Hansen... if you can find it, McGlamry, etc)... and from just using Home Depot full thread, partial, overdrill, etc screws to build and repair stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
I still use Synthes solid screws for the vast majority of my work... austins, met osteotomies, fractures, fusions, heel osteotomy, etc etc. It is cheaper and stronger than titanium or cannulated stuff (for the smaller screw sizes), and the screwdrivers to remove it will anywhere the pt might ever end up. Their locking and cannulated steel stuff is stronger and price competitive against the minor implant companies also.

Talk to your local rep, but the AO course basic and advanced with sawbones and such isn't really a thing anymore to my knowledge. It evolved into basically sets of videos on the SynthesResident and SynthesSurgeon websites... and not even sure what it is present day from AONA and DePuy (Zoom?). You can learn that stuff from books (AO books, Sig Hansen... if you can find it, McGlamry, etc)... and from just using Home Depot full thread, partial, overdrill, etc screws to build and repair stuff.
Sounds like the industry reps love you... clearly you don't like free food and drinks

Reactions: 1 users

I love Synthes too but that I rather have the hot Stryker/Wright reps in the OR than an old Synthes dude

• Haha
I love Synthes too but that I rather have the hot Stryker/Wright reps in the OR than an old Synthes dude
Yeah but that Synthes dude has seen some stuff man

Reactions: 1 users