1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

aoa accreditation

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by sig, Dec 31, 2001.

1. sig

sig Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i am applying for EM.. yes i am applying to a couple of DO programs, but most are AMA, just due to lack of DO programs. most of the programs i am applying to are PGY-1-3 programs. Regradless of how well training is in a 3year over 4year program, my question is this. I would love to be AOA accredited so i can work in any state and teach one day... but with limited combined ER programs, i'm leaning towards an AMA program.
    how does one get my first year of a PGY-1 AMA EM residency accredited. ?
    some places say that they do not do that, but i feel that the DO community is limiting thier own, by not allowing them to work in certain states if they don't do a internship, yet they wan't to get the word about DO's out there, it is like they are shooting themselves in thier foot.
    so as i asked above, it is a very important question(to me) how does one get accreditation or how does one find out if a program will be considered before i match?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gasrx

gasrx Member
    7+ Year Member

Sig, sound like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would like to refer you to the AOA web site and resolution 42. Hopefully it will help. Good luck.
    <a href="http://www.aoa-net.org/PostDoc/aboutres42.htm" target="_blank">web page</a>

PS: I know I'm money

4. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

AOA = Uhhhhhhhhgggggg!

5. sig

sig Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

gasrx and pags
    thank you for your insight into this matter.......