aoa accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am applying for EM.. yes i am applying to a couple of DO programs, but most are AMA, just due to lack of DO programs. most of the programs i am applying to are PGY-1-3 programs. Regradless of how well training is in a 3year over 4year program, my question is this. I would love to be AOA accredited so i can work in any state and teach one day... but with limited combined ER programs, i'm leaning towards an AMA program.
how does one get my first year of a PGY-1 AMA EM residency accredited. ?
some places say that they do not do that, but i feel that the DO community is limiting thier own, by not allowing them to work in certain states if they don't do a internship, yet they wan't to get the word about DO's out there, it is like they are shooting themselves in thier foot.
so as i asked above, it is a very important question(to me) how does one get accreditation or how does one find out if a program will be considered before i match?

Members don't see this ad.

Sig, sound like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would like to refer you to the AOA web site and resolution 42. Hopefully it will help. Good luck.
<a href="http://www.aoa-net.org/PostDoc/aboutres42.htm" target="_blank">web page</a>

PS: I know I'm money

AOA = Uhhhhhhhhgggggg!

gasrx and pags
thank you for your insight into this matter.......