This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DO19motheroftwo

I was thinking FM long before med school, I went DO, and realize now that the perfect degree for me would be a dual FM/EM or IM/EM (basically I like EM and FM too much to have to choose btw them- trust me, I've tried). Do I even have a shot? I have all HP and honors, but boards were 496 and 203. I interview well and have great letters of rec, but I'm gonna have to really improve my Step and Level 2.

Obviously I am applying to FM in the ACGME as a security net of sorts (for the record, matching FM will still let me be a happy person, I will just miss the acuity, schedule, and pace of EM). I am just trying to gauge if it is even worth hunting down a ton of EM programs to get my SLOEs to apply to EM programs, or if I am better off focusing on maxing my FM options and considering entering EM after a FM residency or something.

Honesty appreciated- I'm running out of time to play with my 4th year schedule. Currently I have FM auditions and have been approved to audition at one FM/EM program, but they haven't sent my dates yet (so part of me is suspicious that they are not super interested). I've applied to another FM/EM for audition, and a few EM auditions as well.

Thanks in advance folks.

Members don't see this ad.