This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

DO19motheroftwo

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking FM long before med school, I went DO, and realize now that the perfect degree for me would be a dual FM/EM or IM/EM (basically I like EM and FM too much to have to choose btw them- trust me, I've tried). Do I even have a shot? I have all HP and honors, but boards were 496 and 203. I interview well and have great letters of rec, but I'm gonna have to really improve my Step and Level 2.

Obviously I am applying to FM in the ACGME as a security net of sorts (for the record, matching FM will still let me be a happy person, I will just miss the acuity, schedule, and pace of EM). I am just trying to gauge if it is even worth hunting down a ton of EM programs to get my SLOEs to apply to EM programs, or if I am better off focusing on maxing my FM options and considering entering EM after a FM residency or something.

Honesty appreciated- I'm running out of time to play with my 4th year schedule. Currently I have FM auditions and have been approved to audition at one FM/EM program, but they haven't sent my dates yet (so part of me is suspicious that they are not super interested). I've applied to another FM/EM for audition, and a few EM auditions as well.

Thanks in advance folks.