AOA/DO residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kgizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there more DO residency spots than there are applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But even though there are so few DO spots compared to DO grads, there are still many positions that go unfilled after the match right? because I was under the impression that 50% of DO grads go into allopathic residencies anyways.

In 2010, there were 3845 DO graduates and 261 previous grads, for a total of 4106 DOs looking for a residency. That same year, there were 1,801 AOA residency spots offered, 1210 spots were filled, leaving 591 AOA spots unfilled. By the way, there were 629 traditional rotating internships offered, but I didn't count those in the numbers I gave.

Just to give you an idea of the unfilled AOA spots...there were 339 unfilled Fam Medicine, 174 IM, 17 Peds, 12 Ob/gyn, and everything else was between 0-9 unfilled spots.

These numbers are pre-scramble, however.

Last edited:
In 2010, there were 3845 DO graduates and 261 previous grads, for a total of 4106 DOs looking for a residency. That same year, there were 1,801 AOA residency spots offered, 1210 spots were filled, leaving 591 AOA spots unfilled. By the way, there were 629 traditional rotating internships offered, but I didn't count those in the numbers I gave.

Just to give you an idea of the unfilled AOA spots...there were 339 unfilled Fam Medicine, 174 IM, 17 Peds, 12 Ob/gyn, and everything else was between 0-9 unfilled spots.

These numbers are pre-scramble, however.

cliquesh's numbers are spot on. OP, if you want to look into it some more, here is the website
http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/index.htm

just look up match list 2010.

Yea. look at the website for the exact figures. If you want it put into generalized terms here we go:

Eligible DOs entering AOA or dual accredited residencies every year: 51%
Eligible DOs entering military service in lieu of residency: 5%
Eligible DOs "not entering AOA match" (nearly all going ACGME): 46%

Percent fill (pre-scramble) of AOA residencies (internship included): 60%
Pre-scramble fill without internship years included: 66%

now these figures are all 2009, but as far as i can tell they've changed by less than 1% in every case, so i'll list the numbers ive memorized.

I've known these values forever. I guess I'm curious if anyone can figure out what the post-scramble fill rate is. Since the 51% is everyone who applied for the AOA match, not the amount that actually matched, i guess i could take 51% of eligible students and see how many didnt match to figure out what a maximum possible post-scramble saturation is.

EDIT: just did the math. There would be 2094 total people requiring a AOA match then (pre- and post-scramble). You really should include the internship years though since 263 elected for it. With those 263 students taken into account the number of "non-internship" residencies is pretty much enough to cover everyone who is scrambling. With some remaining.

the exact figures are 1473 matched, 621 scrambled. 970 spots unclaimed pre-scramble, 591 of which are non-internship.

Last edited: