Skippygonenuts

7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2010
New Jersey
Status
Medical Student
okay, before you start plunging at me with "do some research", I already have, but was unsuccessful.

I am trying to find a website or something similar to nrmp which gives a list of AOA Fellowships.

natmatch.org and opportunities.osteopathic.org only provided information about residencies.

Lately I've been hearing a lot about having to do an ACGME residency in order to do a Allopathic fellowship, however I'm interested to see what AOA fellowships are available after doing an AOA residency.

Know where I can find that?

Charlie0318

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
The Squat Rack
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would be interested in hearing about this to :)

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
The fellowships are on the same webiste as the residencies. They are just listed as residencies. Google AOA residencies and you"ll find the site. You'll see things like cardiology on the scroll down list and that is a fellowship.

If you are interested in doing something that requires a fellowship, ACGME is the way to do it.

Skippygonenuts

7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2010
New Jersey
Status
Medical Student
The fellowships are on the same webiste as the residencies. They are just listed as residencies. Google AOA residencies and you"ll find the site. You'll see things like cardiology on the scroll down list and that is a fellowship.

If you are interested in doing something that requires a fellowship, ACGME is the way to do it.
Awesome! thanks a lot. I am trying to avoid asking this question because of the riot it may start but here goes anyway.

In Scenario 1, Student A does an ACGME Ortho Surg and then a Spine Fellowship.

In Scenario 2, Student B does an AOA Ortho Surg and then an AOA Spine Fellowship.

At the end...they're both Ortho-Spine Surgeons. What is the difference then?

If I am making this much more simple than it really is, let me know..thanks

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student

+1 on the first account

I also agree with the second one for IM fellowships. However, if I was trying to do something like PRS residency/fellowship (ie non-integrated), I'd go AOA g-surg at a program with a PRS "fellowship" and be a superstar.

Everglide

EM PGY3
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At the end...they're both Ortho-Spine Surgeons. What is the difference then?

If I am making this much more simple than it really is, let me know..thanks
The difference is there's only three total positions available in two programs in the AOA track.

Skippygonenuts

7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2010
New Jersey
Status
Medical Student
The difference is there's only three total positions available in two programs in the AOA track.
hmmp--I see how that can be an issue.

One more question--excuse my lack of knowledge.

I've heard mixed opinions on this, but can a career like Ortho Surg or ENT (ACGME or AOA) be reached through a general surgery residency?

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
hmmp--I see how that can be an issue.

One more question--excuse my lack of knowledge.

I've heard mixed opinions on this, but can a career like Ortho Surg or ENT (ACGME or AOA) be reached through a general surgery residency?
Nope, Ortho, ENT, and g-surg are all separate residencies. You can do some of the same fellowships after completing these residencies first ... but no overlapping - ie doing g-surg and becoming an Ortho.

Skippygonenuts

7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2010
New Jersey
Status
Medical Student
so would a military residency be considered AOA or ACGME? and where would i be able to find info on military residencies?

mechanictodr

Dropin' it like it's hot
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So...

Can you do an AOA residency and then an ACGME fellowship? There are a lot of residency spots for DO's that would be easier to get into then the ACGME equivallents (like ortho or something competitive), but I don't see too many fellowships.

Also, aside from location/selection, what makes the ACGME fellowships better? The hospital I work for has a Gastro and Cardiology fellowship along with interventional Cards, but they're AOA programs. Will those offer less job options or something?

Skippygonenuts

7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2010
New Jersey
Status
Medical Student
So...

Can you do an AOA residency and then an ACGME fellowship? There are a lot of residency spots for DO's that would be easier to get into then the ACGME equivallents (like ortho or something competitive), but I don't see too many fellowships.

Also, aside from location/selection, what makes the ACGME fellowships better? The hospital I work for has a Gastro and Cardiology fellowship along with interventional Cards, but they're AOA programs. Will those offer less job options or something?
Feel free to correct me If I'm wrong guys but this is what I understand about the issue. You CAN do an AOA residency then an ACGME fellowship under a few conditions. First, the fellowship has to be willing to accept a student who completed an AOA residency as opposed to ACGME. Many fellowship programs are different when it comes to that.

In the case that they do accept the AOA residency, the ACGME fellowship you choose must also have a AOA fellowship somewhere out there in the US. The reason for this is so that you can become certified when u finish the fellowship. If the fellowship is only offered for ACGME but not for AOA then even if you get accepted to it, u can't be certified to practice in that discipline even after u finish.

Going to an ACGME residency makes life easier later on in terms of these technicalities but it's still not that impossible doing an AOA resd depending on where u choose to go.

In terms of job opportunities later on, I believe you are offered the same jobs and make fairly the same amount of money. The only variables are geographic locations, self employment of hospital employment.

Feel free to correct me if you notice anything