AOA Internship Not Acceptable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sport88877

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received an interview to an ACGME PM&R program that will only accept ACGME interships for applicants in the match this coming March. They're logic is that AOA internships can not even apply for pre-accrediation status by the ACGME until July 2015. If the AOA intership fails to gain accrediation status by the ACGME, the intern will not be able to enter the PGY2 ACGME year. All this might change in the coming future, but it is very unclear. I was thinking of just doing an AOA internship and then an ACGME residency/fellowship but I'm not sure if this would be acceptable anymore.

Could anyone shed a little more light on this subject? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hesitant to respond to this, because I don't actually know the correct answer. My assumption however is this: because it is now required that anyone starting an ACGME advanced position must do an ACGME internship (starting with positions in 2016), that programs will be unlikely to take the risk of accepting an AOA internship that may or may not ever become ACGME accredited. I suspect there will be quite a few AOA programs that do have difficulties attaining ACGME accreditation. If they really can't accept someone who didn't have ACGME accredited internship training, then I would be surprised if any are willing to take that risk.

Edit: section III.A.1 https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/CPRs_07012016.pdf

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So what if you did an AOA internship in 2014 or 2015.

And you're starting PMR in 2016.

Then what?

My guess is it wouldn't matter when you did it, only when your PGY2 position starts... But I don't know. I would just ask programs.

I have asked programs, they have said it should be fine.

But to be honest, it didn't sound like they were 100% sure.

So I guess what I would do if you are someone who might do an AOA internship, I would actually contact the ACGME about the requirement since I think it will ultimately come down to them, right? Maybe the PM&R program will rank you and you match, but if your program isn't ACGME accredited by July 2016, will they be forced to take away your position due to the new ACGME rules? If so, as a candidate, that is a huge risk to take. I would do everything I could not to put myself in that position.

How does one contact ACGME about that? Because many places I've talked to have said that AOA is fine, but a poster brought up a good point that you could match and then something goes awry and then you're SOL.

We advise applicants to do an ACGME internship for some of the reasons outlined above. We don't know what's going to happen, and if you go the AOA route and it's ultimately not accepted, you won't be able to continue into your PM&R PGY2 spot. Very risky.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, just an update on this. I emailed Caroline Fischer who is Exec Director of PM&R at ACGME:

Caroline Fischer [email protected]
Nov 5 (2 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Yes, if you are entering the advanced match this year to simultaneously match into the AOA internship for 2015 and the PM&R PGY-2 position for 2016.

Caroline

Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 9:58 AM
To: Caroline Fischer
Subject: Re: Question regarding internship requirements

Ms. Fischer,

Just to make sure I understand clearly: I am starting internship in July 2015 and would be starting a residency in PM&R in July 2016. Am I allowed to go forward with an AOA internship that would end in summer 2016 to begin an allopathic residency in summer 2016?

Thank you.

On Nov 5, 2014, at 09:57, Caroline Fischer <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear xx,

There has been much confusion over whether PM&R programs may continue to match applicants who complete an AOA internship in 2015 for a PGY-2 position in the upcoming match. Programs may match applicants who complete an AOA internship in 2015 for a PGY-2 position in the upcoming match. The FAQ has been revised to state the following:

Q: Will I be able to appoint a resident with prior training not accredited by the ACGME or RSPSC between now and July 1, 2016?

A: The current specialty requirement was intended to align with the implementation of the new common program requirements related to resident eligibility. Those were originally planned to become effective on July 1, 2014. In fact, the revision of the common program requirements related to eligibility will take effect on July 1, 2016. It was not the intent of the RRC to change the eligibility requirements for physical medicine and rehabilitation programs before the new common program requirements were implemented. Therefore, the RRC will permit programs to appoint residents to the program as specified in the version of the requirements in effect immediately prior to the July 1, 2014 revision, which do not limit eligibility to residents whose clinical skills training was ACGME- or RSPSC-accredited.

The FAQ is posted on the PM&R home page of the ACGME website and can be accessed here.

You are correct about the pre-accreditation status. Once an AOA-accredited program obtains pre-accreditation status, applicants from those programs are eligible for positions in ACGME-accredited programs.

Caroline

Last edited: