What sub-I to pick for PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandy4321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers sub-I's in IM, peds, obgyn, surgery, psychiatry, family medicine. I am deciding between IM or peds. IM because I think it will be more beneficial for intern year and residency thereafter. Peds because I enjoy working with kids and am considering peds PM&R (not 100% set on it). Any thoughts? Mostly focused on what residency programs are expecting.

Members don't see this ad.

My school offers sub-I's in IM, peds, obgyn, surgery, psychiatry, family medicine. I am deciding between IM or peds. IM because I think it will be more beneficial for intern year and residency thereafter. Peds because I enjoy working with kids and am considering peds PM&R (not 100% set on it). Any thoughts? Mostly focused on what residency programs are expecting.

Either is fine. You have your intern year to learn medicine. Residency programs won't look down on you for doing a peds sub-i vs. IM.

Reactions: 1 user
I remembering having this question. Ultimately, not a single program commented on or cared about my Sub-I. I chose a Neurology sub-I because I thought it would be more interesting and less scutty than IM. It was fine. I'd pick whatever you htink would be most interesting to you and if possible not too onerous. No one will care. Do what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d go with Neuro if available. I’ve long felt it should be a mandatory course in Med school. It was vital in both primary care and PM&R. IM would also be great. Rheum is also another great PM&R prep specialty. I see and rule out Rheum every day in PM&R. I think Psych could be a good rotation, but only if you can get a focus on Pain Psych

Reactions: 1 users
Do IM it will help to land intern year programs which you need for PM&R.

I didn’t do any sub I and it literally never came up. I would have done peds if I could go back since I applied to peds -pmr.

Edit: That said, I also had to soap into TY year, which I initially ascribed to basically only applying in seattle, portland, and san fransisco, but maybe doing an IM sub-I would have helped now that I think about it...

Last edited: