AOA internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted9493

I'm a michigan resident and will be interviewing at msucom this coming tuesday. Since michigan is one of the states that requires an AOA approved internship to be licensed and since I plan on practicing in michigan, I have a few questions.
Does the internship year count as pgy-1 or is it separate? In other words, if I was to go into internal medicine, anesthesiology, or whatever....would I begin those residencies as a pgy-2 or as a pgy-1...having completed a one year AOA approved internship? Is the AOA approved internship equivocable to a preliminary or a transitional year? I appreciate any help you guys might be able to offer--I was unable to find what I wanted to know using the "search" function.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do an osteopathic residency, or some allopathic residencies, the transitional year is your 'intern' year. SOME allopathic residencies will not take this year as PGY-1, and, if you matched there, would require you to start over. One example I could think of is neurosurgery, where you would probably have to redo your PGY-1 year, if you matched, because these programs require a year of General Surgery internship...I am still relatively new to the process also, so forgive me if I misspeak. This should be 90-90% correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. Some are track programs, whereby if you do an AOA approved residency your first year counts as your rotating internship year. Others do not count the internship as part of your program, hence you complete the internship and then start over as a PGY-I. These programs are usually specialties... eg derm, radiology, surgery, anesthesiology, etc. Often FP, Peds, IM, and EM will have combined track programs. Some MD programs, especially in the specialities listed above require a transitional year and more often than not they will approve an osteopathic rotating internship as the transitional year. I know several nycom grads going to ivy programs who took their first post-grad year and finished their osteopathic rotating internship at a different hospital with the blessing of their program and they didnt lose any time compared to most of their MD counterparts.

Hope this helps.

Anybody know how one could find out what states require the AOA internship year to become liscensed ?

Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, and there are two more...I can't remember the last two.