AOA Match Rates for First Year Internship 2009???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where is the sheet where I can find this since I have the 2007 stats but want the latest stats for 2008 and 2009 comparing all the DO schools in U.S.? If someone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a copy of the said 2007 sheet. I dunno where you could find the new info but if you do find it remember to take it with a grain of salt. I say this because said sheet references to AOA residencies only and it's also difficult to know all the factors that went into it. I'd venture a guess that many students going to schools in highly desirable locations may have wanted the same TRI's at their local program. This would take down the % rate for that school and is probably more applicable to schools located somewhat further from other schools and DO residency programs (such as FL).

Just something to think about....

I have the 2002-2007 sheet which is NICE-I want the 2008 and 09 one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking how many people matched into an internship? Because everyone is an "intern" their PGY-1 year. Or are you asking how many people matched a traditional AOA internship? Because I cannot think of a more useless statistic than that.

Or are you asking how many people matched a traditional AOA internship?

I'm looking for that stat where it tells you all the DO schools, and the percentage of students that got their FIRST choice in matching an AOA residency program...sorry for my ignorance, I'm confused:

What do you mean intern PG1?

Intern is another term for your first year of residency, or PGY1 (post-graduate year 1)

A traditional internship is just a one year program that you then follow up with a separate residency.

Or are you asking how many people matched a traditional AOA internship?

I'm looking for that stat where it tells you all the DO schools, and the percentage of students that got their FIRST choice in matching an AOA residency program...sorry for my ignorance, I'm confused:

What do you mean intern PG1?

I doubt there is such a stat available. If there was, it would be news to me.

....I'm looking for that stat where it tells you all the DO schools, and the percentage of students that got their FIRST choice in matching an AOA residency program...sorry for my ignorance....

It comes out in JAOA in March of the following year. Stats from 2008 are in the 2009 Issue. The 2009 stats come out in 2010. I can't just give you the link anymore because it's password protected now.

Decided to be nice, though, and uploaded an Excel file of the latest info available.

Attachments

• match percentage.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I was sort of under the impression that most AOA TRI's were filled by scramblers who did not match. Is this wrong?

Thanks SCPOD, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for...I appreciate the help:)

I was sort of under the impression that most AOA TRI's were filled by scramblers who did not match. Is this wrong?
Yes, I believe so. Some programs, particularly those in radiology, derm, aneshesia, ophtho, and a couple others start at PGY-2. You have to do PGY-1 somewhere else as a transitional year, and I believe this internship year fills the same role.

Keep in mind, too, that the number of available TRIs has significantly decreased with the realignment. In 2008 there were only 350 matches for TRIs, but there were more than 700 the two preceding years.

Yes, I believe so. Some programs, particularly those in radiology, derm, aneshesia, ophtho, and a couple others start at PGY-2. You have to do PGY-1 somewhere else as a transitional year, and I believe this internship year fills the same role.

So does one match into their residency for these specialties and their program mandatorily includes a PGY-1 transitional year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind, too, that the number of available TRIs has significantly decreased with the realignment. In 2008 there were only 350 matches for TRIs, but there were more than 700 the two preceding years.

Can you expand on this please? I'm not sure what the realignment is or how it affected AOA internships.....thx.

Can a DO get any specialty any where he wants, any hospital he wants in America??? Like lets say I want to do anesthesiology, family practice, or surgery can I do it anywhere I want??? What factors affect this decision?

Can a DO get any specialty any where he wants, any hospital he wants in America??? Like lets say I want to do anesthesiology, family practice, or surgery can I do it anywhere I want??? What factors affect this decision?

I believe you could have answered this by searching or reading the 2009 match list thread. Since this step was neglected I request you spend your time researching what "molebut" is since that is the time I spent answering this post. :thumbup:

Why wouldn't a DO be able to do this?

no one asked you to respond

He's right though; you could easily find an answer to that by either researching online or searching these threads as its been mentioned several times.

Yes, DOs are fully-licensed physicians and can practice in any hospital or clinical setting. The only thing really holding you back is competition.

lol I knew that post would receive bad news but I hate how premeds are so neurotic, sarcastic, and sometimes downright rude and I'm one of them but still I don't put someone down ever on SDN and the molebut thing ticked me off....whatever life goes on.

lol I knew that post would receive bad news but I hate how premeds are so neurotic, sarcastic, and sometimes downright rude and I'm one of them but still I don't put someone down ever on SDN and the molebut thing ticked me off....whatever life goes on.

Most of the uptight dudes on here will say "do a search". Well thanks "dick", I never heard of Google. You are sooo smart!

There is nothing wrong with asking questions in a forum. That is the purpose of an open internet forum.

The fact that these guys have been lingering/members here for years and then insult a person that has less knowledge about a subject pertaining to your posted question is insulting.

And several of these DO students that are responding in here were rookies once too. Don't take any offense to it.

I don't take any offense at all, I just look at their stupid posts, and ignore it like nothing happened haha, because in the end, I'm going to ask whatever I want to ask and if you choose to respond, that's great...if you don't, no worries....

Why am I on this forum on a perfectly saturday night when I should be studying?!

I don't take any offense at all, I just look at their stupid posts, and ignore it like nothing happened haha, because in the end, I'm going to ask whatever I want to ask and if you choose to respond, that's great...if you don't, no worries....

Why am I on this forum on a perfectly saturday night when I should be studying?!

Studying? On a Saturday night? In undergrad in July?... hell no.. lol

I ended up doing nothing but I did shave after 2 weeks:) haha go shave Harry!

the molebut thing ticked me off....

Hahaha I don't mean to be that much of a "dick" but your question really was (and is) something you could have easily answered yourself. Haha the molebut thing came because I was playing balderdash with some friends at the time and I thought it was such a ridiculous word that I had to use it.

hahaha I LOVE THAT GAME....I used to play like in middle school...fun stuff, I always win because I was the most creative and competitive haha go figure now I'm a premed student:)

Most of the uptight dudes on here will say "do a search". Well thanks "dick", I never heard of Google. You are sooo smart!

There is nothing wrong with asking questions in a forum. That is the purpose of an open internet forum.

The fact that these guys have been lingering/members here for years and then insult a person that has less knowledge about a subject pertaining to your posted question is insulting.

And several of these DO students that are responding in here were rookies once too. Don't take any offense to it.

Us "dicks" that respond to various posts like that do so because well, simply put, its down right lazy not to look at the old search button for your answer first. Medicine is full of questions and sometimes you have to *GASP* search for the answers. If you think we are dicks now for asking you to search for an answer on an online forum you are in for a surprise when your attending asks you to read 10 journal articles and summarize them for him on morning rounds the next day.