AOA Residency Changes - 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BWalkerMSU

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So does any one understand what this really means? Sounds like the rotating year is a thing of the past now and the first year of residency will count?

https://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?au=S&PageID=sir_main

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I did a little more reading, and looked at the document they provided...
https://www.do-online.org/pdf/sir_postdocinternrestructure0708.pdf

Basically, from what I gather, this makes the traditional rotating year for osteopathic interns obsolete. If you are planning on going into a specialty, and match into a residency, the first year of your residency will count for the rotating internship. Obviously this was possible before, by petition. I think from what they are saying most students who were going into specialties were requesting their residency year 1 to cover the internship. This just makes the petition unnecessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that they are realizing that they are in fact in the 21st century, maybe they could land some "quality" residencies, particularly specialties, in the west!

Interesting article. Sounds like if you match into a specialty tracked program where the osteopathic internship has historically counted as the PGY-1 year, not much will change. Looks to be less "rotating" and more specialty-focused which probably won't break too many hearts.

The 2nd option looks to be about the same for people entering into Radiology, Neuro, etc. Again, with more of a focus on your specialty and less rotating.

The 3rd option appears to be exactly the same. If you don't know what you want to do or want to train at an ACGME program, you must do a rotating internship to keep the AOA people happy. I can see that logic for individuals who are undecided and need/want to be exposed to Peds, OB, IM, etc. again. Unfortunately, the AOA doesn't appear ready to allow people to do MD residencies without some sort of hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.