AOA Urology and Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that for some specialties like orthopedic surgery, if you want to get an AOA residency its basically required that you do an away rotation at that hospital. I know that urology is on a similar scale of competitiveness with ortho, does the same idea apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the stupidity, but I don't know what an AOA residency is. In general, if you want a specific residency spot you should do an away with them so they know who you are. This doesn't mean people only match competitive residency spots if you've rotated with them, but it certainly can help quite a bit if they know you personally.

AOA means a DO residency program only open to DO's. I think there are about 20 slots for urology. Highly competitive, possibly more so than ACGME uro spots. I would definitely think away rotations are required, and that those sites where you rotate are probably your best chances at matching (provided you perform well).