AOA vs ACGME Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just running a straw poll. I'm just currious as to which type of residency you are leaning toward and why, and could you also add your school. I know that this is pretty unscientific but like I said it's just a starw poll.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm leaning toward anywhere I can get in and someday pay back my loans;) But seriously since there are more allopathic spots probably one of those (either GS or orthoS), and you know where I'm from docgeorge :D

All of the places I am applying to for FP are dually accredited or are in the process of applying for dual accreditation.

And as you can see from my sig, I am from LECOM. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying for allopathic programs only. I have found that the big teaching hospitals at allopathic programs have a better emphasis on teaching. What you need to look for is the environment you go in. Remember, residents will do a lot of teaching too, not just the attending. So you need to look for an environment where everyone is interested in learning and teaching. From past experience, I have noticed that a lot of D.O. residents are very lazy and don't care to take the extra initiative to teach students. The sad part is that they have the time to do so. It's not as if they work as many hours as do the allopathic residents. So why does this happen? I'm not sure if it's the osteopathic programs in my state or if it's a national problem? I couldn't tell you.

If you're interested in OB/Gyn (and most people aren't) I'd recommend an allopathic program. I'm a PGY-2 OB resident and only applied to allopathic programs. The pt population is much larger which translates into more exposure to more pathology. When I was a med student, DMU tried to guilt us into AOA programs by hinting that we were "traitors" for jumping ship. The bottom line is this: go where you need to go to get the very best education. Don't let the allopathic/osteopathic battle sway you. Do your research and find the best program in your chosen specialty. That said, for OB there are very few DO programs that compare to the allopathic programs for training quality and financial stability (read about the recent closing in Texas). For me it was a no-brainer as to where to apply...just my $.02

Stef
DMU 2003

Reactions: 1 user
jss2003 said:
I am applying for allopathic programs only. I have found that the big teaching hospitals at allopathic programs have a better emphasis on teaching. What you need to look for is the environment you go in. Remember, residents will do a lot of teaching too, not just the attending. So you need to look for an environment where everyone is interested in learning and teaching. From past experience, I have noticed that a lot of D.O. residents are very lazy and don't care to take the extra initiative to teach students. The sad part is that they have the time to do so. It's not as if they work as many hours as do the allopathic residents. So why does this happen? I'm not sure if it's the osteopathic programs in my state or if it's a national problem? I couldn't tell you.

I really don't think you can stereotype every D.O. resident as being lazy and not willing to teach, and as far as I can tell almost all residents work similar hours for their respected specialty.

jss2003 said:
I have noticed that a lot of D.O. residents are very lazy and don't care to take the extra initiative to teach students. The sad part is that they have the time to do so. It's not as if they work as many hours as do the allopathic residents. So why does this happen? I'm not sure if it's the osteopathic programs in my state or if it's a national problem? I couldn't tell you.

give me a break. :rolleyes:

cremaster2007 said:
I really don't think you can stereotype every D.O. resident as being lazy and not willing to teach, and as far as I can tell almost all residents work similar hours for their respected specialty.

This is in response to those who have yet to go onto rotations and experience first hand the difference between allopathic and osteopthic hospitals and residencies. Until you have experienced it yourself, I wouldn't even bother making an opinion of the matter. Anyway, my comments obviously doesn't apply to all programs or residents but just a difference of my experiences at 3 differenct osteopathic hospitals/residency programs vs. four different allopathic hospitals/residencies. The D.O. world has a lot of catching up to do as far as clinical rotations go. The first two years of medical school are set up just fine.

I actually agree that, based on my experiences, osteopathic residencies don't attract as good a quality of residents. In the rotations I did at a hospital that only had osteopathic residencies, I felt like I knew more than the residents. One of the attendings even told the resident, "Don't let your medical student (me) show you up." One resident I worked with didn't even know that the Bethesda system for Pap smears had that name :confused: This is only my experience in one hospital, so I know I can't generalize, but it seems like many DO students on SDN have had similar experiences.

If you are going to apply to osteopathic residencies, apply to the ones that are dually accredited. These residencies are usually of higher quality, because they meet both the AOA and the ACGME's standards.

DOtobe said:
I actually agree that, based on my experiences, osteopathic residencies don't attract as good a quality of residents. In the rotations I did at a hospital that only had osteopathic residencies, I felt like I knew more than the residents. One of the attendings even told the resident, "Don't let your medical student (me) show you up." One resident I worked with didn't even know that the Bethesda system for Pap smears had that name :confused: This is only my experience in one hospital, so I know I can't generalize, but it seems like many DO students on SDN have had similar experiences.

If you are going to apply to osteopathic residencies, apply to the ones that are dually accredited. These residencies are usually of higher quality, because they meet both the AOA and the ACGME's standards.

people just need to stop generalizing, like you said. Here in Michigan, from what I hear, we have some top notch AOA and dual residencies, and some of our osteopathic hospitals are very well known and respected (Garden City and POH for example). Not all AOA residencies and rotation sites are sub par.

I have been told that DOs have a hard time applying to a competitive MD residency. Does this merger mean that both MD and DO are going to have equal shot at a competitive residency?

It's not everyday I get to see a post bumped from when W was president and iPhones weren't invented.

To your question though, No.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been told that DOs have a hard time applying to a competitive MD residency. Does this merger mean that both MD and DO are going to have equal shot at a competitive residency?

No. Why would a merger change that?

I matched a competitive MD residency. While there is still bias, it has been diminishing over the last few years. Do well on Step 1, get some research, obtain strong letters from important people in your desired field and you have a shot. This isn't asking a lot, just be equal to your MD counterparts.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm interested in anesthesia and ortho, I know MD anesthesia residency is very doable as a DO but what about ortho? Every thread I've read seems to indicate that we must go to an AOA program for ortho.

I'm interested in anesthesia and ortho, I know MD anesthesia residency is very doable as a DO but what about ortho? Every thread I've read seems to indicate that we must go to an AOA program for ortho.

Your chances are directly proportional to your step 1 score.

Unless something goes horribly wrong or I fall in love with a very competitive specialty I have no interest in being quizzed on OMM after medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I matched a competitive MD residency. While there is still bias, it has been diminishing over the last few years. Do well on Step 1, get some research, obtain strong letters from important people in your desired field and you have a shot. This isn't asking a lot, just be equal to your MD counterparts.

Thanks for your advice!