AOA vs AMA Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familydo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year DO student and I'm planning on going into Family Practice. I'm having difficulty with the decision of going with the AOA vs the AMA match. My understanding is that I pretty much have to choose one or the other. I'm interested in programs like UCLA and UCI, but I'm not sure how great my chances are there. If I forgo the AOA match can I later jump in and scramble if need be?

Any info regarding family medicine at the UC schools would be helpful. How DO friendly are they?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a shot at the California schools, you'll need to bypass the AOA match and participate in the ACGME match. If you do both and you match to an AOA FM program, you'll be booted from the ACGME match and won't have the opportunity to land a position at the UC programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can register for both matches. The key element is that the AOA match occurs first. And if you do match to an AOA residency then you are obligated to that program you matched and will be withdrawn from the ACGME match.

I recommend registering with both matches and going through the interview process and judge which programs you believe you have the best chance. If you forgo the AOA match you definately can scramble, there are usually plenty of FM spots but that is no guarantee you will get a spot in the region you want.

If you are interested in the programs in Cali then I recommend doing a rotation there this fall. Reading about a program and actually being there sometimes are 2 different things. You may not like those programs at all and find some jewel of a program that nobody knows about. Ask questions. Are the residents happy? Do they stick together like a family? Do you get to do lots of procedures? What is the hospital like?

Good luck.

L2C

I wouldnt worry about scrambling into a DO fm position, between FM and IM there were about 900 spots left open from our match. Personally I would go thru the AMA match and if it doesnt work out then scramble into the DO world.

Just FYI, there is no such thing as the "AMA Match".

You should have no difficulty scrambling for an AOA Family Med program, as there are, as mentioned, plenty of osteopathic FM spots open after the AOA match is done. Considering that the same is true for ACGME-accredited Family Med residencies, and the perceived higher quality of ACGME programs, you might want to just forego the AOA match, apply to ACGME FM programs, and scramble to any available position (AOA or ACGME) if the match doesn't work out.

Good luck.