AP Biology with AP Chemistry

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether to take Latin I & II or AP Chemistry I & II. I heard that having two AP sciences is really killer. I really want to take AP Chemistry, but I haven't taken my 2 years of foreign language classes yet.

Overall, what's it like taking AP Biology with AP Chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm debating whether to take Latin I & II or AP Chemistry I & II. I heard that having two AP sciences is really killer. I really want to take AP Chemistry, but I haven't taken my 2 years of foreign language classes yet.

It's doable. You'll have the same problem in college when you'll have to take both Bio 101 and Chem 101 for your pre-reqs at the same time. Better to get used to the courseload and the concepts now in high school than to be in for a rude awakening during college.

But if your Latin classes have a time conflict with your Ap Sciences, then by all means go ahead and take Latin instead since completing your language prerequirements is more importnat. However, if there's no scheduling conflict, then go ahead and take your APs and your Latin since you're more than capable of dominating them all. Trust me: You're probably much stronger than you think.

I can take both AP's and the only spot I have left is for Latin I. Is this still okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which year are you talking about? Junior year, try not to overload your schedule unless you're certain that you can get high grades. Senior year, make your schedule as hard as you can. Having a tough course load as a senior will help you when you start college.

As for the language requirements, finishing those is more important than taking AP chem and bio. If you are unable to take both AP classes and Latin 1 & 2 before you graduate, don't do it. If you have to take Latin 1 junior year and Latin 2 senior year, that's doable.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile.

Which year are you talking about? Junior year, try not to overload your schedule unless you're certain that you can get high grades. Senior year, make your schedule as hard as you can. Having a tough course load as a senior will help you when you start college.

As for the language requirements, finishing those is more important than taking AP chem and bio. If you are unable to take both AP classes and Latin 1 & 2 before you graduate, don't do it. If you have to take Latin 1 junior year and Latin 2 senior year, that's doable.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile.
Yeah. I can take AP Biology, AP Chemistry and Latin I. In my Senior year I can take Latin II

Yeah. I can take AP Biology, AP Chemistry and Latin I. In my Senior year I can take Latin II

You might also get more out of those AP's if you take them at different years. Do you have to take both of them at the same time during your Junior year?

You might also get more out of those AP's if you take them at different years. Do you have to take both of them at the same time during your Junior year?

I don't have to but I want to. But I'll wait until senior year. Thanks. Also the reason I wanted to take it Junior year is because Senior year I'll be taking AP Calculus AB/BC and I don't want to take AP Chemistry with Calculus lol. I'll go change my choice on my registration sheet. Thanks again.

Slightly irrelevant, but my school has just dropped AP chem, will this affect the transition into college chem not being able to take it? I took honors chem as a sophomore so is the gap between then in college too much, or too difficult?

Slightly irrelevant, but my school has just dropped AP chem, will this affect the transition into college chem not being able to take it? I took honors chem as a sophomore so is the gap between then in college too much, or too difficult?

No, but you won't be able to skip General Chem without AP credit. If you have taken honors chem, you should be fine.

I'm taking:

Neuropharmacology
Neurobiology of Pain
Physics 2
Chemistry 2
Literature
Pathophysiology

You can do it :thumbup:

No you will be fine. General chemistry is pretty easy if you payed attention in high school. I was a horrible student my first two years in high school, took chem and did well. It's not bad at all

Update: I took off AP Chemistry to take AP Environmental so I can take Latin I & II. Thanks for the responses.