AP/CP board results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djk949

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone get these yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone get these yet?

Anxiously awaiting. Although, apparently they've given PDs a week or so warning for any failures (presumably to remove all sharp objects and place the unfortunate on suicide watch).

They said 6-8 weeks from the end of the testing window. Testing window ended at the end of June. I am not holding my breath for the results until at least mid august, and will be presently surprised if they come earlier.

Usually on abpath.org they indicate when results were mailed. Currently the abpath.org page just has info about the subspecialty exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they said 4-6 weeks...

I thought they said 4-6 weeks...

from abpath.org FAQ

"When will the results of the examination be available?

Results will be mailed 4 to 6 weeks after the last examination date. "

Also they tend run late.. due to "so many people taking the test".. as if they would be surprised by the number of candidates per year...

Heh. I guess I just remembered it as 6-8 weeks because when I hear someone say "4-6 weeks" I just automatically assume that means 6 weeks, and then give the inevitable 2 week window and voila, 6-8 weeks.

well...this week's 4 weeks out from date of last exam...more specifically - tomorrow.

I am getting myself progressively more and more worried about whether I passed. Damn you all for reminding me that my timeline of when results would be received was wrong. If I turn out to be right and it was 8 weeks I am going to come back and ban you all. ;)

I am particularly getting worried about the cytopath part. People say you can't pass the boards unless you "pass all the parts." So therefore because I feel like I got about 50% of the cytology questions right I am screwed. But I looked at the ABPath website and it says you must pass "both the written and practical portion" and the practical includes the glass and virtual slides as well as the image based stuff. So that makes me less worried because I feel I did adequately on the slides.

I had cytology. I have half a mind to write into any future job contract I sign that I will not be required to look at any pap smears, bile duct brushings, CSF preps, or do any FNAs.

I am particularly getting worried about the cytopath part. People say you can't pass the boards unless you "pass all the parts." .

Indeed, I know many a person who failed a single portion of the exam but overall did very well (as in was ranked in the highest quartile in all the other areas but wiped out on cyto or practice management or some other lame area).

You do get a fail if you are too far below some arbitrary cut off point for any 1 category.

Tests are much easier of course if you break up the sitting for AP and CP. I dont know if they still allow that tho.

So you are saying that I have to do well on the cytopath part, not just the practical part? That's not what the ABPath website says.

The anatomic pathology examination is a one-day examination consisting of written and practical sections. The practical section is composed of a microscopic portion (traditional and virtual) and an image section. A candidate must pass both the written and the practical portions in the same administration in order to pass the examination. All questions are multiple-choice and are in the one-best-answer format.

It doesn't say you have to do well on each individual topic area. I don't know how that is possible if there are only like 5 forensics questions.

wow...didn't know that about the "passing all parts" stuff...that blows

So you are saying that I have to do well on the cytopath part, not just the practical part? That's not what the ABPath website says.

It doesn't say you have to do well on each individual topic area. I don't know how that is possible if there are only like 5 forensics questions.

Well from my experience..AP, CP and my subspec exam all had like 5-6 different areas scored by quartile. The guy in the office next to me in fellowship failed one of the 6 (or so) areas of CP and it was named practice management or something similar so in reading that I took it as there is more than just passing the basic written and practical portions.

that freaked me out in studying for my subspec boards as I originally planned to blow off some sections, but ended up having to review everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...didn't know that about the "passing all parts" stuff...that blows

Yeah but in my book it's still unclear. Like say theoretically on the practical part you get 95% on the surg path, 90% forensics, 90% lab management and 30% on the cytopath, and your average comes out to 75% (I have no idea where these numbers are coming from, just making them up). If "passing" is 70%, do you still pass? Or do you fail because you failed cytopath?

It can't be right, because what if you got 20% on the 5 lab management questions but aced the rest of it. They can't possibly fail you, correct?

When people say, "You have to pass all the parts" they don't clarify what they mean by "parts." Are there two parts, written and practical? Or are there like 6 parts? And is CP only two parts or are there 6 parts (chem, micro, heme, etc etc)?

Well from my experience..AP, CP and my subspec exam all had like 5-6 different areas scored by quartile. The guy in the office next to me in fellowship failed one of the 6 (or so) areas of CP and it was named practice management or something similar so in reading that I took it as there is more than just passing the basic written and practical portions.

that freaked me out in studying for my subspec boards as I originally planned to blow off some sections, but ended up having to review everything.

OK, that potentially makes sense. But why don't they then say that on abpath website? They don't mention anything other than 2 parts to each exam.

Eh, whatever. What's done is done. If I fail because of cytopath I'll just take it again. The rest of AP was very manageable. Cytopath was just off the wall and like reading tarot cards.

Anyone get these yet?

Over the years I have seen a number of fellows take the AP/CP boards in June and their specialty boards in September. The ABP does not qualify them for the specialty board until they verify passage of AP/CP. Well the ABP website ( http://www.abpath.org/default.aspx ) now says that:
Admittance forms were mailed for all qualified applicants in:
Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine on 7/16/08.
Dermatopathology on 7/16/08.
Forensic Pathology on 7/17/08.
Hematology on 7/18/08.
Cytopathology on 7/18/08.

This would seem to indicate that they know who has passed the AP/CP exams and is now qualified to take subspecialty boards. However, it appears these results have not been mailed out. The website for the ABP states "Spring 2008 APCP results have NOT been released." I do not know for sure however since I do not work for the ABP and have not specifically spoken to anyone at the ABP about this.

Last edited:
Heh, maybe lots of people were calling them because on the main page, like you say, it says that results have not been released. It also says "Do not call the main office to ask if results have been mailed." Almost makes me want to call them and ask.

They haven't sent subspecialty admittance forms to those who took the Spring exam. I know this because I waited patiently next to my mailbox for several days, then emailed them to find out what happened (i.e., "holy crap, does this mean I failed?!!!") They said they were waiting for results to finish processing subspecialty applications, so I'm not sure whether that means they know the results and are now processing applications or if they are still waiting for the results.

Over the years I have seen a number of fellows take the AP/CP boards in June and their specialty boards in September. The ABP does not qualify them for the specialty board until they verify passage of AP/CP. Well the ABP website ( http://www.abpath.org/default.aspx ) now says that:
Admittance forms were mailed for all qualified applicants in:
Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine on 7/16/08.
Dermatopathology on 7/16/08.
Forensic Pathology on 7/17/08.
Hematology on 7/18/08.
Cytopathology on 7/18/08.
This would seem to indicate that they know who has passed the AP/CP exams and is now qualified to take subspecialty boards. However, it appears these results have not been mailed out. The website for the ABP states "Spring 2008 APCP results have NOT been released." I do not know for sure however since I do not work for the ABP and have not specifically spoken to anyone at the ABP about this.

They haven't sent subspecialty admittance forms to those who took the Spring exam. I know this because I waited patiently next to my mailbox for several days, then emailed them to find out what happened (i.e., "holy crap, does this mean I failed?!!!") They said they were waiting for results to finish processing subspecialty applications, so I'm not sure whether that means they know the results and are now processing applications or if they are still waiting for the results.

I'm in the same boat as you. I still can't figure out why it takes 6-8 weeks to score an exam when everything is done on the computer. Also, I can't believe they're going to charge a $100 processing fee if you don't pass the AP/CP exam & sent in your registration for the subspecialty exam.

----- Antony

were mailed august 1.
!!!!!

Jus got the mail. I passed!!:):) What a relief!

i got mine, call me diplomate!!!!!!!!!!

Yes - abpath website was updated today to say results were mailed on 8/1. Mine arrived today too. My wife told me I passed although I haven't seen the actual letter yet.

Since people were curious before, the actual letter basically says nothing other than "you have been successful in the combined anatomic and clinical pathology examination. You are a diplomate..." No breakdown, no score info, nothing.

Since people were curious before, the actual letter basically says nothing other than "you have been successful in the combined anatomic and clinical pathology examination. You are a diplomate..." No breakdown, no score info, nothing.

Wow, then they really changed the reporting alot. At one point you were given an overally percentile score (early 90s?) but that was stopped.

I passed!!! Woohoo! I'm on top of the world!:) Drinks anyone?

woo hoo! congratulations to everyone who passed! fantastic news

'Gratz all around! Emails have been flying!

Gosh I am not looking forward to this time next year when I find out later than everyone else as a consequence of forwarded mail finally catching up to me in Hooooston... :scared:

'Gratz all around! Emails have been flying!

Gosh I am not looking forward to this time next year when I find out later than everyone else as a consequence of forwarded mail finally catching up to me in Hooooston... :scared:

If you move after taking the test (or anytime after starting your application) the Board has a change of address form...

http://www.abpath.org/FormsApps.htm

I recommend using it...

congrats to those who passed!

please pass on how you studied for AP and CP!

Anxiously awaiting. Although, apparently they've given PDs a week or so warning for any failures (presumably to remove all sharp objects and place the unfortunate on suicide watch).

So, the program directors know first? Hardly seems fair. For instance, we only had one person take the boards last year - they failed. Wouldn't seem right someone else would know first!

Program directors don't find out until a few months from now (unless you tell them). I don't know if they find out about failures or not, but I suspect not that early, otherwise some would let everyone know that they did pass.

I emailed my PD, he went on in a congratulatory reply that he had not heard from two residents yet and was hoping for 100% pass.

Obviously, if I believe the PD's email to me, my PD did not know in advance that we had all passed.

As for how to study & pass CP...

A good CP service review conference does wonders (also do not underestimate the value of each and every one of your cases on your CP rotations!). If you are in a program where they hand you a book and tell you to get lost on CP rotations you could be in serious trouble.

I passed with these resources: Henry (graphics & photos), Koneman color plates, Mais compendium (cover to cover), lots of prayer, and the occasional sacrifice to the CP gods.

A good CP service review conference does wonders (also do not underestimate the value of each and every one of your cases on your CP rotations!). If you are in a program where they hand you a book and tell you to get lost on CP rotations you could be in serious trouble.

What on earth are you talking about???? CP service review conference???? Cases on CP rotations???? :boom:

That happened to me this year. I just found out that I'm a diplomate today. I faxed in my address change form last month, but they never received it. They won't send out another one until Aug. 18. I was lucky that someone was able to forward it to me quickly.

Oddly enough, all this means is that I have 3+ weeks to prepare for my subspecialty board. No celebrating allowed until that's done. :annoyed:

----- Antony

Hi,

Are board passing %'s for each program available online, as they are for IM and surgery? As an applying MSIV, I'm curious about the results. Thanks.

What on earth are you talking about???? CP service review conference???? Cases on CP rotations???? :boom:

The post from raggedredfiber asked what I did to pass and I responded accordingly. Sheesh!

Judging by this response, you must be handed a book and sent away on you CP rotations @ your program. Sorry to hear that and good luck on the CP boards...:laugh: On CP rotations I actually routinely GOT cases and presented the best of them at a weekly CP service review, exercises that only HELPED me to pass the CP exam.

The fact that I am flamed for the mere suggestion that CP service review/case conference is helpful speaks to an uphill battle in the realm of quality CP teaching. All CP programs OWE residents AT LEAST the opportunity to learn this stuff (the ACGME says so). Whether an individual chooses to apply themselves on CP rotations or not is ultimately up to each resident (based on my program people seize upon this, 100% pass rates on both AP & CP). On the CP side you should learn from your cases and those of your colleagues, isn't that how we learn AP?

Get a grip...

Last edited:
The post from raggedredfiber asked what I did to pass and I responded accordingly. Sheesh!

Judging by this response, you must be handed a book and sent away on you CP rotations @ your program. Sorry to hear that and good luck on the CP boards...:laugh: On CP rotations I actually routinely GOT cases and presented the best of them at a weekly CP service review, exercises that only HELPED me to pass the CP exam.

The fact that I am flamed for the mere suggestion that CP service review/case conference is helpful speaks to an uphill battle in the realm of quality CP teaching. All CP programs OWE residents AT LEAST the opportunity to learn this stuff (the ACGME says so). Whether an individual chooses to apply themselves on CP rotations or not is ultimately up to each resident (based on my program people seize upon this, 100% pass rates on both AP & CP). On the CP side you should learn from your cases and those of your colleagues, isn't that how we learn AP?

Get a grip...

Woah there, lets all back off for a moment.

I didnt get the impression that they were flaming you at all. I think they were just surprised because their CP experience is more "typical" and displayed that in a semi-sarcastic way.

I didnt get the impression that they were flaming you at all. I think they were just surprised because their CP experience is more "typical" and displayed that in a semi-sarcastic way.

Yeah, I don't think you were being flamed either. That being said, our weekly CP service review (which I coincidentally have to give later today) consists of presenting all of the CP calls that the residents received in the past week. They're usually rather straight-forward (a febrile, non-hemolytic transfusion reaction), and don't necessarily involve a lot of discussion. However, there are occasional issues that come up (specifically in the arena of blood product utilization, or someone wanting an esoteric test done off-hours) which lend themselves to more in-depth discussion.

If there were no calls, we may go over other current laboratory issues, or just break early.

Sorry if I overreacted. :confused:

What is the definition of "typical" in this context? If typical means that resident teaching is largely ignored on CP rotations, people should not put up with this. We are not powerless you know.... Residents can successfully demand better quality teaching, (I have seen this firsthand).

Why would anyone think it's ok to be shortchanged? :confused:

:laugh:Yeah, sorry, wasn't flaming you. Sohsie hit it on the head... Our CP is more "traditional" (read: what CP? Is that the lab thingy?)...

thanks for the CP tips...how 'bouts AP?

I only took the AP portion, and here was what I did...

Questions:
Lefkowitch's Review of Anatomic Path
Sternberg's Review Book (a question book, which the difficulty and format most matches the boards)
Robbin's question book (didn't get through all of it)

Robbin's CD (comes with the book)
Sternberg's CD (comes with the book)

That's all I did, got about 60% right on Lefkowitch, which is the most thorough review, and I studied the answer explanations to all of them (ie. KNOW at least Lefkowitch cover to cover) Didn't crack open another book or look at other slides. Didn't do Osler either. Wouldn't look at study sets..unless you don't know what's on the image CD's...if so, then look on pathologyoutlines.com, or google images, or the Hopkins site.

I also went to almost all of our daily slide unknown conferences and took advantage of our awesome AP education (ie, pay attention during your years as a resident!). Felt that I comfortably passed during the exam (didn't know everything, but knew enough), and got the confirmation last week :)

congrats to those who passed!

please pass on how you studied for AP and CP!
I did not pass AP Boards. Are you studying? How do I get connected with someone to study. I am out of residency and studying alone.

Hi,

Are board passing %'s for each program available online, as they are for IM and surgery? As an applying MSIV, I'm curious about the results. Thanks.

hehehe, I seriously doubt you will find this information out and if they did give you numbers, I wouldnt trust em.