AP Credit and Med School Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgardo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Question about schools that do not accept AP credits as sufficient prerequisites. In ppl's experiences, how strict have these prerequisites been?

In my specific case, I have ap credit for a semester of chem and a year of math and am applying to ucla. I've been out of school for the past year now. Should I be looking to enroll in a local college to get these taken care of?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They will probably take the math credit (Calc B/C, right?). How did you wind up with a semester of Chemistry credit (as opposed to a full year)? Have you taken advanced Chemistry courses? I don't know about that one.

edgardo said:
Hey everyone,

Question about schools that do not accept AP credits as sufficient prerequisites. In ppl's experiences, how strict have these prerequisites been?

In my specific case, I have ap credit for a semester of chem and a year of math and am applying to ucla. I've been out of school for the past year now. Should I be looking to enroll in a local college to get these taken care of?

Thanks!

I had AP stats credit and when I emailed UCLA, they said I was out of luck and that should I get in, I would have to take it the summer before class started. Talk about nightmare. My guess is that you're out of luck, but CALL THEM and ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read in the MSAR that Vanderbilt does not "accept" AP credit for pre-reqs, but if you do have credit in it, you just need to take advanced classes in the subjects and you'll be fine. They don't "strictly refuse to accept" AP credit. The tricky ones are the ones that require advanced classes.

Yea, that's a bad thing about UCLA. They won't take any AP credit whatsoever. There have been a few posts about it specifically but since you can't search AP i guess it might be hard for you to find.

I don't think AP credit is allowed for any lower-division courses in your major. You might get credit for some other general education requirements though; I think you need a 4 or a 5 at least for most of them.

This is somewhat off-topic, but if you're planning on getting AP credit for science courses, it is recommended that you still take the actual course. There is a very different environment and level of difficulty between AP and college-level work; medical schools do tend to advocate taking all your prereq's in college for a letter grade. Check with one of the counselors at UCLA about your AP/credit options.

Assembler said:
I don't think AP credit is allowed for any lower-division courses in your major. You might get credit for some other general education requirements though; I think you need a 4 or a 5 at least for most of them.

This is somewhat off-topic, but if you're planning on getting AP credit for science courses, it is recommended that you still take the actual course. There is a very different environment and level of difficulty between AP and college-level work; medical schools do tend to advocate taking all your prereq's in college for a letter grade. Check with one of the counselors at UCLA about your AP/credit options.

It actually depends on the high school. For instance, my high school took AP classes extremely seriously and brought in college professors to teach the classes. In my experience with APs in my school, the classes are actually more rigorous than the college courses.

Just some thoughts. Have a good one.