AP Credit and Units (HELP!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chill1818

CSU PVM 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is not a new subject, but couldn't find a previous topic that really helped me. Any advice, reassurances, etc would be great!!!

With the quarter to semester conversion I'm short 0.33 units for a few prereq areas. Some don't matter because I'm planning on taking some classes during the spring which will help out big time.

For math though, I took Math 3C (4 quarter units) at UCSB because my AP score on BC calc in high school fulfilled the requirements for Math 3A and Math 3B (8 quarter units). My major issue is that their official transcript does NOT list APs taken and what credit was given for those APs. They are also being very reluctant at writing me a letter from the registrar stating my AP credits.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? How did you fill the prereqs without retaking courses?

Members don't see this ad.

My scores did appear on my transcript just as scores. I listed them in VMCAS as courses, described the number as NA, put Biology/SCR 5, lower div. course, biology prereq, etc. Here is what the VMCAS instructions say:
AP COURSES- You will need to list the AP courses in the coursework section under the first semester of your freshman year where the credits first transferred to. Select "No Grade" and list it as "Advanced Placement" under classification description.

As for your registrar's office, phooey on them. I'm not sure what to tell you, but maybe someone else will have an idea.

also, you might talk to the schools you are applying to. my college did terms (3 a year) that weren't quarters or semesters. It left me short in a few areas, in particular, organic chemistry, because at our school it was only 2 terms, not 3, but the translations made me appear short. I talked to the schools I was applying to, and put a comment in the personal statement that I had fullfilled the full offering at the college I attended. Wasn't a problem. So, if it is a conversion thing...you might be able to resolve it that way.