AP credit, no college courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm kinda new here, I'm graduating in May and only this year decided to apply to med school...so I'm taking the MCAT for the first time in April. I've been looking over some practice materials (I signed up for Kaplan)...and realize that I know barely anything about physics or gen. chem.

I had AP courses in high school for these subjects, and while I guess I knew the material at the time, I've pretty much forgotten it by now. I got college credit for these APs, so I didn't take them over again.

Now I'm wondering what would be best to do. I only have 1 semester of school left, so it wouldn't be realistic to take both semesters of both subjects....plus, I don't even know if my university would allow it, since I already have credit for these subjects (what a catch-22!). One option I guess would be to do a major review using textbooks, practice books, etc....but I'm not sure if I will be able (or motivated) to relearn all that material without being enrolled in a class.

What do you think? Do any med schools refuse to take AP credit, by the way?

Thanks!

Karen

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools take AP credits, you will want to check out the thread in the Pre-Allopathic forum on this subject. I think the subject was "AP Credits" or something like that. As far as studying with textbooks, etc. I have heard a lot of people on this forum say that they had been out of college for like 6 or more years and didn't remember any of the sciences and found reviewing them using different review texts/ prep courses was enough for the MCAT (vs. using textbooks).

Hope that helps

I feel you....I'm in the same situation....I'm takin the Kaplan course right now and I feel like I don't know Jack S***!!!! heh...Guess I'm just gonna have to dig into old textbooks!! AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH