AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question-

I am a little worried about AP credit. I APed out of a year of physics, and 1/2 a year of gen chem. I was an engineer, so I am hoping that my applied mechanics courses will count if the physics is lacking.

The question is: How do schools usually treat AP credit? I am applying in the Chicago area, so I am concerned with Rush, Loyola, Rosalind, NW, Chicago, etc. Anybody know this?

Also, if I am only missing a semester of chem, is it possible to get accepted and then take the chem in the interim?

Am I screwed?

The rest of my app is pretty good. GPA - 3.69, MCAT - 35. Several years out of undergrad, clinical experience... etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll take it school by school:

Northwestern
Given that they don't specifically require any course work, AP credit will be fine.

U of C
They require "an 8-credit, academic year" of each of the prerequisites. As such, if your undergrad institution gave you credit for the actual courses, you should be fine as long as you haven actually taken all of the required labs.

Rush
"Survey courses in the premedical sciences will not meet these requirements, nor are other substitutions permitted." Sounds like you'd best take the courses. They go on to say, "The committee requires that all of the course work submitted in fulfillment of specific admissions requirements be evaluated on the basis of a traditional grading system. Such a system must employ a range of numbers or letters to indicate the comparative level of performance. If the applicant has received a grade of pass/credit for any course on the required list, the instructor must supply a written statement evaluating the student's performance in that course." AP credit doesn't sound like it meets this burden.

Rosalind Franklin
"Applicants are required to have three years of course work from an accredited college which includes one academic year in biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics. These courses must include the laboratory components." Again, if your ugrad school awarded you credit for the specific courses, you should be okay.

Stritch/Loyola
"One academic year of general chemistry, general biology, general physics, and organic chemistry--all with laboratory (biochemistry can be substituted for part of the organic requirement)." Same as above.

As with all advice you receive on SDN, verify it with the schools to which you intend to apply (or other authoritative source, such as MSAR). Incidentally, all of these answers were found on the med schools' web pages. You could have done that yourself?

And to answer your question about Gen Chem, you need to at the VERY minimum, list it on your AMCAS as a "Current/Future" course so schools know you're going to take it. Otherwise, your application may get dropped for not having met prerequisites. How did you take organic without Chem II? It's not a pre-req at your school?

-z

The only Chicago area school I applied to was Loyola and I had a year of AP Physics credit. They accepted it as my physics requirement and didn't ask that I take any more physics in college. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know for sure about Rush?

They are the only ones I can't call. They only have an email address.

you might just need to call each individual school because some of them are really ambiguous about their requirements

you might just need to call each individual school because some of them are really ambiguous about their requirements

I have. This is what I found:

U of C - They requires supplemental coursework, but I can use my engineering courses for all of it.

UIC - They take AP.

Rush - I have NO IDEA. They don't say on the webpage, and there is no one to call. Only an email address.

Rosalind - Pretty sure they take it, but they haven't called back yet.

NU - No prob here.

Loyola - They were sort of wishy washy. They don't for biology, but it sounded like Chem and Physics were ok.

So--- If anyone knows about Rush-- I'd love to hear.