AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, when dental schools say that they don't accept AP credit, is that referring to AP credit used to fulfill science prereqs or any course?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering, when dental schools say that they don't accept AP credit, is that referring to AP credit used to fulfill science prereqs or any course?
To answer your question: Yes, that's exactly what it means.

Each school is different but when you look at various schools on the ADEA guidebook, for some schools they say they do not accept AP for prereqs or electives..sometimes both.

Basically, if you received AP credit to waive Biology I and the lab, some schools will not accept it.

With that said, I transferred close to 40 credits (many sciences) from high school and I contacted all the schools that say they do not accept AP credits for prereqs. Some are willing to substitute that prereq with an upper-division science course that you have taken with it's corresponding lab (i.e. Cell Bio w/lab, etc.)

I would contact schools now and make sure they will do that so you don't run into any difficulties in the future.

Thanks for the reply. I was asking because I have an AP English credit, which I'm simply using as a graduation credit. If it's not for one of the science pre-reqs, am I okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools treat the english prereq just like the sciences. For instance, schools like Creighton do not accept AP credits for any prerequiste class.

I emailed the admissions office a while back b/c I'm having the same issue and this is their response:

"We do not accept AP credits for any of your prerequisites. For the English prerequisite, an intensive writing course also can help satisfy the English requirement."

If I were you, purchase the ADEA guidebook and look into all the schools and see which ones accept your transferred AP credits. Worst case scenario, you would have to take the class at your university to receive credit for it.

So I have IB credit for bio I/II. I'm taking bio lab I/II at my university and have taken 3 higher level biology classes at my university. Will that be okay? Because when schools say they want x credits for biology, they don't specifically need those credits to come from Intro to Bio class?

So I have IB credit for bio I/II. I'm taking bio lab I/II at my university and have taken 3 higher level biology classes at my university. Will that be okay? Because when schools say they want x credits for biology, they don't specifically need those credits to come from Intro to Bio class?
They might substitute two of the upper division bio lecture courses you have taken to satisfy the intro Bio I/II lecture you received IB credit for.

I'm not saying that all schools do not take into account the IB/AP credit because some schools do. But the ones that don't just double-check!

Thanks! I was looking at the ADEA Dental Guide and I did see a handful of schools that won't accept AP credits. But I also did note that they don't specify where these X number of credits need to come from specifically. Except UNC with their 4 credit of Anatomy -_-

I know!

With all the IB and AP courses I took in high school, finding which schools do and do not accept them is as a big a headache as applying! From my understanding, they say that IB and AP are equal so anywhere in the guidebook that you see "no AP" it's synonymous to "no IB" :/

I was asking more on the lines of are they not going to even consider it as a credit (for graduation)? Although I got the AP english credit (counting for graduation credit, NOT english credit), I have still taken over a year of English, so that's not a problem. What I'm wondering is whether I'll have enough credits to graduate from their "perspective" if they discount all AP credits. So if a school requires 90 credit hours for example, with my English AP (that is not satisfying any prereq requirement, but rather simply a graduation requirement), would they still view it as 90 credit hours, or would they view it as less. Also, would it be mandatory to take another course to fill the 1 credit I received from AP; hence, making the AP absolutely worthless.

Yes, they will consider the credit toward graduation. You do not need to take another course to fill in this credit.