AP credits on transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering how AMCAS will know what AP credit I should receive.
I received credit from my school for specific classes but on my transcript they are all bunched together under Advanced Standing, listed as "Advanced Placement Exams, Credits 20".
If I enter the AP credit as the appropriate courses on the AMCAS, how will they know that those are the credits I received (so that they can verify it)? Does anybody have experience with this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

hardy said:
Hi

I received credit from my school for specific classes but on my transcript they are all bunched together under Advanced Standing, listed as "Advanced Placement Exams, Credits 20".
If I enter the AP credit as the appropriate courses on the AMCAS, how will they know that those are the credits I received (so that they can verify it)? Does anybody have experience with this situation?

whoa, that's kind of f***ed. maybe you can get the registrar to send a breakdown to amcas? or get AP to mail AMCAS w/ a "transcript"?

seems like an email to AMCAS sorts out these questions too.

Do you put AP credits on AMCAS? I didn't know that. If so, only the ones your undergrad counted, or all the ones you passed?

Members don't see this ad :)
hardy said:
Hi

I dont know if it's right or not, but i heard that some medical schools dont take AP credits as prerequisites

hardy said:
Hi

Hate to break it to you, but unless your stupid school breaks down your ap credit on the transcript most med schools will not accept the courses. I know this because I am currently negotiating courses with the med school I will likely attend next year. I get to re-enter my undergrad institution full time for a quarter.

hardy said:
Hi

When I talked to U of Minnesota about this they said that they would only accept AP creds if your transcripts specifically say what courses the creds were for. Some school's transcript offices will make that distinction for you if you call them -- best thing to do is call your schools academic services and see if it is possible and then send that revised transcript to AMCAS. You also might want to check with the schools you are applying to if they accept AP and what do they need to see on the transcript.

mynameistino said:
I dont know if it's right or not, but i heard that some medical schools dont take AP credits as prerequisites

Nope, that's not right. Check the MSAR, I know most (and I'd guess all) of them take APs for prereqs to some degree. How they accept them differs - some won't accept them for certain courses (ex. can't AP out of calcululs req), some will accept them if you take an additional upper-division course (ex. AP out of 1st year bio, but you must take 2 semesters of upper-division bio), some will accept them all w/o having to take "substitute" upper-division courses.

The AP situation is definitely when it helps to be a science major, so those "substitute" upper-div courses are in your major anyway :)