AP English Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AH3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for the upcoming cycle and got credit at my undergrad for both semesters of freshman English (101 and 102) from my AP exam scores. I know a lot of schools want higher level classes to be taken if the AP credit is for Biology or Chemistry, but not many seem to do that with English.

So what schools (besides Vanderbilt) don't accept AP English credit and want you to take actual classes for the requirement? I just don't want to get burned by applying to a school where I don't fulfill their basic requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

I would call schools individually, unless someone with more information than me posts a better answer. I would imagine that if a school has a requirement of two semesters of college English, accepting AP high school credit would be the exception rather than the rule. I do not have any personal experience with this matter, however.

I've been told that regardless of AP English credit, we have to take one full year of English at college, and can't retake the classes we got credit for with our AP scores, meaning we have to take higher level English.

Members don't see this ad :)
See, I was under the impression that the schools only wanted the additional classes if AP credit was used to get credit for science courses. I've taken a communicating through writing course (philosophy department) and am signed up for an English class next semester. I would really prefer to not have to take another one (for a total of 2) next semester since there are electives I'd rather take. Does anyone else have experience/knowledge with this?

obviously you will have to check with individual schools to be sure, but AP english credit should be accepted at most schools - it was at all of the schools i applied to (20!).