AP for prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shammy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok this is ridiculous....I AP'd out of General Chemistry and was advised to bypass the class and go straight to organic. Now I've seen 2 schools for sure (Vandy and MCW) that do not accept AP credit....is anyone in a similar situation and do you think it will impede the application process? Do you think I should take a higher level Chem class this fall? (I sure as hell don't want to take General Chem.)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but make sure the class has a lab. Heck if you take gen chem again, it might be easy as hell and you can pad that GPA.

Yeah, it happened to me too. I got a 5 on AP CHEM, but I decided to take CHEM 1 and 2 in college anyways. However, I got lazy and decided to just take the AP credit for the CHEM 1 lab. MCW told me to go ahead and apply, but if I'm accepted, then I need to take the lab prior to matriculating.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is ridiculous! I AP'd out of physics 1 and haven't looked back since. Now I find some colleges won't accept that. Hello, isn't that what the MCAT is for. A standardized test to determine the aptitude of people from different backgrounds! If I did well in the physical science section why should I have to go back now and take a general class. Whatever! I just called all the schools I was interested in and asked them if they would accept it or not. If they said yes they stayed on my list, if not they got the boot. I just graduated and I planned on taking a year off from school, and I am doing just that. If you are really interested in the school who won't accept it, then I would say consider taking the courses. But for me, thanks but no thanks.
KIM

do you know exactly which schools do not accept AP besides MCW and Vandy, some schools want to see advanced coursework in the subject, which is fine with me, but I wonder what other schools blatantly do not accept it. Thanks for any info

I was in the similar situation with Chem, Bio, and Calculus but I opted to take the intro classes in the subjects just so I would be safe.