Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

AP only to Hemepath?

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by abefromann, Apr 14, 2007.

1. abefromann

abefromann Junior Member

Guys,

Which are the programs that lead from AP to Hemepath fellowships? I know it's typically a CP-oriented fellowship, but I heard mention of some AP routes to heme. Anybody know?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud

Resident [Any Field]
    Stanford has a combined AP/Heme program. Otherwise, I don't think its a big deal doing AP only and then Heme since it overlaps with AP in a lot of places.

4. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician

Attending Physician
    I would wager there are far more academic heme path people that were AP only as residents then were CP only. I doubt any program would refuse an AP only resident into their fellowship. You aren't selling yourself short at all if you do AP only if you want to do heme.

In the northeast, it is an AP oriented field, from what I can gather from being in med school and PSF there.

5. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian

Attending Physician
    I think you are hurting yourself by being AP only heme. A quick scan shows that JHU and UPenn both prefer AP/CP. Utah and UVA require AP/CP. http://www.pathologytraining.org/
    Heme is a kind of weird field in that both AP and CP are involved. The might be more AP heme than CP heme people, but definitely more AP/CP/HP people.

6. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud

Resident [Any Field]
    If you wanted to stay in academics and sign out AP and Heme, why would it matter if you are AP and CP boarded? Sure, there are rotations in CP that would definitely be applicable to your Heme fellowship (molecular/cytogenetics, immuno/flow), but I don't see why you couldn't do these rotations as electives (I'm making the assumption that these rotations are under the umbrella of "CP" at most institutions). I guess ultimately it depends on what type of fellow the program wants to train (ie community vs academia-bound).

7. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian

Attending Physician
    Hey don't ask me. I just pointed out the programs that want AP/CP.