APA conference question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine2006

Happy Pisces
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have secured CME days to be able to go to the conference in New Orleans this year. My situation is that I only have limited CME and personal funds and probably would only able to afford 3 hotel nights for the conference. My question is should I attend the first or last 3 days of the conference?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe a preliminary program was available online just before the conference this past October. (Several weeks at least if memory serves me correct.)

If you can wait until it comes out for this year's conference, just peruse it to see what lectures/seminars/symposiums interest you.

If you can't wait, I am sure any 3 days out of 4 you pick will be good.

(There may have been a day without poster sessions. I'll have to check my old program.)

I have never been to an APA, but to generalize from other major conferences I've attended, the last day or half day of a conference can be demoralizingly dead. So if one has a choice--pick early or middle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never been to an APA, but to generalize from other major conferences I've attended, the last day or half day of a conference can be demoralizingly dead. So if one has a choice--pick early or middle.

Agree - I'm presenting in the last slot on the last day of the conference. In other words, I'll be talking to some empty chairs and an AV guy.

Any other SDNers heading to Louisiana in May? I will be there!:D

Just found out yesterday that my poster was accepted, so I'll be there too!:)

I live in New Orleans. So yes, definitely! :)

You three need to make sure you show up to Doc Samson's last-day-last-slot presentation now! He's convinced he's going have an audience of empty chairs and the AV guy otherwise.

You three need to make sure you show up to Doc Samson's last-day-last-slot presentation now! He's convinced he's going have an audience of empty chairs and the AV guy otherwise.
Well, of course I will stay until Doc Samson presentation. Maybe, I will even ask a question, so that he does not feel left out!;)

Thought I would revive this thread to see if any additional SDNers have decided to head to New Orleans this weekend. I'm really excited to see the city again and meet some future colleagues!

I'll be there for the PsychSIGN part (beginning Friday) up until early early Wednesday, so unfortunately, I won't be there to keep the AV guy company at Doc Samson's lecture. Had I known before booking my flight, I would have stayed a few hours longer. :)

Word of advice. If a group identifying themselves as the Citizens Commission for Human Rights (CCHR) asks to do an interview with you---politely decline.

A few years ago, at an APA conference, this group (which is actually a frontgroup for the Church of you know who) did this to a number of psychiatrists, took their comments out of context, and put it in a video attacking psychiatry. It was strange because out of the psychiatrists I saw in their video, I personally knew several of them. I guess the NJ/NY crowd must've been hanging out together at the same location as the CCHR cameramen.

Word of advice. If a group identifying themselves as the Citizens Commission for Human Rights (CCHR) asks to do an interview with you---politely decline.

A few years ago, at an APA conference, this group (which is actually a frontgroup for the Church of you know who) did this to a number of psychiatrists, took their comments out of context, and put it in a video attacking psychiatry. It was strange because out of the psychiatrists I saw in their video, I personally knew several of them. I guess the NJ/NY crowd must've been hanging out together at the same location as the CCHR cameramen.
but the CCHR gets to work with nice people like John Travolta and Tom Cruise. Are you trying to deprive us of our right to mingle with celebrities?

Voldemort?

Thought I would revive this thread to see if any additional SDNers have decided to head to New Orleans this weekend. I'm really excited to see the city again and meet some future colleagues!

I'll be there for the PsychSIGN part (beginning Friday) up until early early Wednesday, so unfortunately, I won't be there to keep the AV guy company at Doc Samson's lecture. Had I known before booking my flight, I would have stayed a few hours longer. :)

I just learned about PsychSIGN today. My med school does not have much of a psych interest group unfortunately so I haven't really been in the loop. Wish I would have known about this earlier so I could have changed my travel schedule. I'll be flying in Sunday afternoon and leaving Tuesday night. Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you. I'll be presenting a poster at the Young Investigator Poster Session on Monday morning.

Agree - I'm presenting in the last slot on the last day of the conference. In other words, I'll be talking to some empty chairs and an AV guy.

In general I agree that the last day's sessions are more sparsely attended, but I would guess it'd be worse for the morning sessions rather than the afternoon sessions. There are a lot of heavy hitters presenting in the last slot on the last day. Fonagy, Bateman, Appelbaum, Gabbard...

-AT.

this morning, while waiting to get on a shuttle bus at the convention center, I was passed by about 200 picketers from CCHR (among other organizations) chanting about how many children have been medicated by APA members.. good times. especially when one of them climbed onto my shuttle bus to hand the driver some "literature" to make sure he knew why they were marching. :thumbup:

this morning, while waiting to get on a shuttle bus at the convention center, I was passed by about 200 picketers from CCHR (among other organizations) chanting about how many children have been medicated by APA members.. good times. especially when one of them climbed onto my shuttle bus to hand the driver some "literature" to make sure he knew why they were marching. :thumbup:

I just want to know--was it a paraphrase of the "Hey hey LBJ, how many babies did you kill today?" chant from Vietnam days?