APA meeting in atlanta, beneficial for medical students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

july07621

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi this is very last minute I know, I had heard about conferences from my family medicine friends where they have booths and state mixers where you get the opportunity to meet people involved with residency programs including PDs and residents that they found very beneficial. After signing up for APA conference in atlanta tho I don't see anything similar to that on their list. For someone who has gone in the past, is there anything of that nature that would be beneficial to me?

Thank you!

Edit: Sometimes its called a "residency fair"

Members don't see this ad.

you're probably thinking of the PsychSIGN conference which is the med student conference. look it up its at the weekend. they do have a residency fair but i'm not sure how useful it is.

you're probably thinking of the PsychSIGN conference which is the med student conference. look it up its at the weekend. they do have a residency fair but i'm not sure how useful it is.

thanks i looked it up they are having something this weekend as well in atlanta but it looks like its full! so i don't know, if people don't show up apparently there is onsite registration. but i dont know...

Members don't see this ad :)
depends what you're looking for. if you want to meet other students like yourself and share your secret shame of wanting to do psychiatry it's a good place to network with students. they usually have a good community psychiatry panel. the residency fair depends on how many people go but I don't think it is all that useful (I've been roped in as a resident not gone as student). the actual APA meeting has a ton of stuff and is free for students so I would definitely go to any events that seem interesting - there are lots of receptions networking events and many other societies have their annual meeting at the same time

thanks i looked it up they are having something this weekend as well in atlanta but it looks like its full! so i don't know, if people don't show up apparently there is onsite registration. but i dont know...
Try showing up for onsite registration (unless you have other plans that day), I can't imagine them turning you down if you express interest in person. (The organization is run by your fellow students interested in psychiatry.)

In addition, consider becoming a PsychSIGN member (it's free) and "liking" them on Facebook, as not only do they have student events at major APA, IPS and AACAP conferences, but they also organize regional events. Eg., there was a regional PsychSIGN conference in Pittsburgh last November with informative sessions and opportunities to schmooze with WPIC faculty and residents. (I couldn't make it there myself unfortunately but I've heard it was great.) You may also be able to get free hosting with a local medical student through PsychSIGN for their events (I know this because I hosted someone through PsychSIGN last year and was offered a housing opportunity in Pittsburgh when I was planning to go there.)

(So I'm pretty much not anonymous here but whatever :p)

Reactions: 1 users
More of a practical recommendation: if the conference is within the next few weeks, and you're flying in/out of Atlanta, get to the airport at least 3 hours ahead of time for your return flight. They've closed one of the security checkpoints for construction, and the lines have apparently been horrendous for the one that's still open.

More of a practical recommendation: if the conference is within the next few weeks, and you're flying in/out of Atlanta, get to the airport at least 3 hours ahead of time for your return flight. They've closed one of the security checkpoints for construction, and the lines have apparently been horrendous for the one that's still open.

People use the Atlanta Airport for reasons other than connecting flights!?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 users
:thumbup:

Not if they can help it. It's probably faster to drive to Birmingham and connect through Atlanta than to fly straight out of Hartsfield at this point.

Of course in my poor med student days I'd make Buffalo to Philadelphia flights via ATL, so it's not like connecting saves time.

Yes useful. You can meet some residents/fellows/attendings that may remember you when you apply to their program. A good way to get your foot into a door thats hard to open(like a top tier program).