Apartment Rent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemkid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacists!

What is the maximum amount that you're willing to spend on apartment rent with full pharmacist salary?
Would you consider $1800/month rent too high?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely high but do you live in a high cost of living area or is this just a luxury apartment? What's average rent in your area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacists!

What is the maximum amount that you're willing to spend on apartment rent with full pharmacist salary?

for $1800, you can get a one bedroom apartment in a highrise located in downtown Dallas haha which is where i live. so yes, that would be very high of a rent. rather get a better car. my two cents. with $3000 budget, if i pay $1500 or less, then good chance that i can afford a GTR muhahaha

Max like $3500/mo for zero commute, I’d drop down to $2500/mo for a 30-45 minute commute. I wouldn’t pay more than 10% above the median rent price, nor would I pay more than 25% of gross income for rent.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
my share of the mortgage is$500- and I have zero commute - but I am lucky. I honestly would not spend over 1/3 of your take home pay each month on housing

Last edited:
1/2 of your take home........wow.
I would never spend more than 1/4 of my after tax money. . . .and would be moving towards buying when I could.

I would never spend more than 1/4 of my after tax money. . . .and would be moving towards buying when I could.
typo - I meant 1/3 max
but I personally would never go over 1/4

You can't get away with paying less in coastal metro. Unless you Craigslist, share with a roomate, and put someone in the living room too.

Avg rent in SD is $2100/mo for a 2BR so it's in the high side although it's not outrageous SF/NYC, it's still the top 10 metro in the US.

I would spend no more than 20% of my after tax money on rent.

I was paying rent equivalent to 24% take home...just moved recently and will only be paying 18%...and life will be much more comfortable...same commute, better amenities, and I have a bigger budget for travel, fun, student loans...

No more than I had to. Rent is a waste of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Max like $3500/mo for zero commute, I’d drop down to $2500/mo for a 30-45 minute commute. I wouldn’t pay more than 10% above the median rent price, nor would I pay more than 25% of gross income for rent.

I'm sorry but anyone paying over 2k/month for rent is ******ed.

Lol @ anyone paying 3500/month on rent. Or 2500 for that matter.

OP, you have to tell us where you live. Cost of living varies obviously.

I spend 800, but it's a tiny little 1 bedroom, but then again I have no need for more (no kids and paying down loan)

Mine is wayyyyy above what you are paying... hopefully not for long tho. To answer your question, if you don’t have any loans, that rent is nothing. You can still do everything you want to do all the while saving for retirement.

There isn't going to be a clear answer because rent and salaries vary by region, and don't always scale with each other.

I paid $1600/mo for a 2 bed in FL when I made $46/hr - Bad value

$850/mo mortgage for a 3 bed house in AR when I made $53/hr - Good value

Confetti's rent numbers may seem shocking, but so can the salary of a Bay area pharmacist.

Pharmacists!

too high, $720 monthly checking in.

You can't get away with paying less in coastal metro. Unless you Craigslist, share with a roomate, and put someone in the living room too.

Avg rent in SD is $2100/mo for a 2BR so it's in the high side although it's not outrageous SF/NYC, it's still the top 10 metro in the US.

#Houston_coast, cheaper than SD

Bay area is normal $3.5-5k/mo. Pharmacist salary inpatient is $75-90/hour there too, so there... Obviously a lot of this have something to do with tech workers having a starting compensation at $200k+/yr after counting bonus, sign on bonus, and stock refresher/bonus to start. It's not uncommon a mid level career ~7 yr tech worker after 2 promotions getting a total comp of $350-400k/yr.

OP, you have to tell us where you live. Cost of living varies obviously.

I would argue that the absolute numbers don't matter as much as the relative values. People who spend half their income on housing are going to struggle doing other important things, like paying off loans, saving for expected expenses, living, and saving for retirement.

$117,000 year is the low income salary line around here, most pharmacists I know that live and work in SF city proper clear >$200k with a tiny bit of overtime work.

Most marry equally or up the income scale, so most households with a pharmacist as one spouse/partner will clear $300k-$450k/yr.

If it interests anyone, the daycare on my street charged $1800/mo a few years ago. It also shares the same building as Google and Mozilla.