AphA Annual Meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airin11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to one of their annual meetings? I will be in San Francisco this March anyway for my rotation, so I figured I should go since my plane ticket and hotel are paid for already.

Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I also went last year. I finally got my reimbursement check last week. (woo-hoo).

I met bananaface, Lord999 and some others that I can't think of right now. I got lots of cool freebies, talked with manufacturers about their drugs, talked with recruiters for future employment, etc. It's also fun to vote on policy changes and elect your ASP officers for next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
do meetings start at 8am at national too?

that was my peeve with MRM. if you want attendance why the hell would you hold a conference in Vegas with 80 21-25year olds and start meetings at 8am. if we were awake at that hour it usually involved a bathroom floor.

rumor has it no more MRM in Vegas for region 8 :D

Hey guys, if you need help in deciding where to stay and what to do, our UCSF chapter has started a welcoming comittee.

http://www.ucsf.edu/aphaasp/apha2006.html

Each of your schools also has a liason, an ASP officer who will be a contact person for your school. You can call them up and ask them anything you want.

Can't wait to see you all there!

young skywalker said:
Hey guys, if you need help in deciding where to stay and what to do, our UCSF chapter has started a welcoming comittee.

http://www.ucsf.edu/aphaasp/apha2006.html

Each of your schools also has a liason, an ASP officer who will be a contact person for your school. You can call them up and ask them anything you want.

Can't wait to see you all there!

Thanks! I'll contact my school's liason. I already have a question. ;)

dgroulx said:
I also went last year. I finally got my reimbursement check last week. (woo-hoo).

I met bananaface, Lord999 and some others that I can't think of right now. I got lots of cool freebies, talked with manufacturers about their drugs, talked with recruiters for future employment, etc. It's also fun to vote on policy changes and elect your ASP officers for next year.
I met you at the Region 3 caucus...

airin11 said:
Has anyone been to one of their annual meetings? I will be in San Francisco this March anyway for my rotation, so I figured I should go since my plane ticket and hotel are paid for already.

Any thoughts on this?
I went a few years ago when it was in New Orleans. Definitely go! I thought it was really good in terms of showing all the different types of practice that pharmacists do (of course, you may know a lot about that anyway since you are 4th year). The exposition is great, you can talk to a lot of recruiters (especially all the chains if retail is your thing). I was just really impressed by all different things you can learn about, and it will make you feel more a part of the profession.

I think there will be a group of us from the Univeristy of Appalachia College of Pharmacy headed to the APHA meeting. We just got next semester's schedule and we have those days off already listed in our schedule, unless of course we miss days for inclement weather. But either way, I'm sure there will be a few of us there, me included of course. Hope to meet some new people, put some faces to some of the people from SDN and generally have a great time. This will be my first time in Cali. or anywhere in the West actually so I'm looking forward to it.

*bump*
its getting closer...
and prices for flights for me have dropped in half!!

woo hoo!!

airin11 said:

Any thoughts on this?

I went last year in Orlando and I had a blast. It can get kinda costly though. But I highly recommend attending an APhA national convention at least once during your pharmacy years.

I'm considering going. Ticket prices are reasonable. Friends of mine are pharmacists and will be going and have been begging my husband and I to join them! Not that it wouldn't be great to go to san fran in the spring, but do you guys think that I could benefit from the convention being that I am only in my first year of pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad :)
airin11 said:

Any thoughts on this?

That really sounds like it will be a blast! I'm sure it's a great way to bond with some of your fellow colleagues, meet new people, and network as well! I *really* want to go this year pending expenses (I'm not sure if I'll get reimbursed by the school) but it's best to get tickets ASAP...

Also, this may sound silly, but does anybody know if they have a website dedicated to Annual? I don't even know what dates it will be held on!!! :rolleyes:

how does everyone feel about the new schedule?

bbmuffin said:
how does everyone feel about the new schedule?
I'm glad you asked!

I think it sucks arce. Now instead of having to miss one day of school (monday), now I have to miss two days of school. (friday & monday) And for those of you that liked to get out and see the city a day early, you will not have that chance anymore with the brainiacs that is APhA.

In case you're like vandykitten and just too lazy to take 5 seconds and look for the link, here it is! If you're going to San Francisco, make sure to wear some flowers in your hair!

http://www.aphanet.org/students/meetings/annual/APhA06_schedule.htm

FutureRxGal said:

Thanks a bunch!

I definitely am not too pscyhed about having to miss class on Monday due to flight scheduling as I am supposed to have a Pharmaceutics test that day. Ugh. Good thing I might be able to reschedule since the conference is a school-related absence!

I would love to meet up with some of you fine people if possible; so many of you have been incredibly helpful during the prepharm process and I would like to thank you in person ;)

airin11 said:

Any thoughts on this?

So I have signed up. And I signed up for the board review program, since I'm graduating in May! (so excited) AND, I made the early bird registration deadline, which is Feb 15. Two days! Just a reminder

any decent programs going on out there?

i've yet to register but i believe i do have a hotel room.....

(hopefully)
i'm a procrastinator

ultracet said:
any decent programs going on out there?

i've yet to register but i believe i do have a hotel room.....

(hopefully)
i'm a procrastinator
Be sure to register by the priority deadline. Not only does it cost more after that date, but you won't get your badge sent to you ahead of time. You have to go pick it up at the convention. And, it won't have any ribbons. :(

I might go next year. I'm out for this one. It's burnout, I think.

bananaface said:
Be sure to register by the priority deadline. Not only does it cost more after that date, but you won't get your badge sent to you ahead of time. You have to go pick it up at the convention. And, it won't have any ribbons. :(

I might go next year. I'm out for this one. It's burnout, I think.
so are ribbons like a big deal or something?

i've heard others talk about them but just kinda....

didn't really think much about it

microbe hunter said:
how packed do these meetings get?

thousands of pharmacists come to this....

over 6000 went last year

ultracet said:
so are ribbons like a big deal or something?

i've heard others talk about them but just kinda....

didn't really think much about it

A ribbon means your special.

Delegate, any type of officer, any type of candidate, and misc. ones are usually given.

I have an important question, What should I wear????

Seriously, Is it professional professional dress all the time? As in suits, ties, and the works, or just dress nice, no jeans?

airin11 said:

Seriously, Is it professional professional dress all the time? As in suits, ties, and the works, or just dress nice, no jeans?
For Professional meetings i'm always in a suit but...

i feel obligated to as i have a reputation to uphold

i have honestly never felt out of place with what i have been wearing...
so i'm sure the others have a better perspective...

now...
so i registered..
the thing that i'm not liking is a lot of stuff overlaps

i've got to figure out what all i'm planning on going to while i'm out there..

What about the rest of you? anything on your schedules yet?
any recommendations?

airin11 said:

Unless you are participating in the PTCC, don’t bring your lab coat.

If you have responsibilities at the convention, like chapter delegate, then you need to wear at least a long sleeve shirt with a tie for guys and a suit for women. It does get a little cold sometimes on the House of Delegates floor so bring a jacket if you wish

If you are a chapter officer, regional officer or committee member, or an officer of another pharmacy related organization, you should be in professional dress with jacket. You are representing your respective organizations and it shouldn’t be taken lightly.

If you are going for networking purposes, I would go professional dress with or without the jacket. Also, make sure to bring some business cards with you. It will make your life a whole heck of a lot easier.

If you are like most people and just going for a good time, dress business casual. The majority of attendees dress this way.

All rules are off for social events, so dress how you like.

For women when choosing a suit, don’t pick the most conservative blue/black suit you can find. There are so many people that do that it’s amazing. When you see them as a group, you begin to wonder if you ended up at the National Flight Attendant Association’s convention instead of a pharmacy convention. Wear something colorful and if you got something to show off, show it, but do it tastefully. The whole idea is to get noticed, but don’t get noticed for the wrong reasons.

Glycerin said:
I was there, and I saw that prick, Caverject. :smuggrin: Who else went?

Me. I just got back last night :sleep: I enjoyed it but it was hard to get in all the conference stuff and all the touristy stuff so I felt like I did a half-assed job of both.

Glycerin said:
I was there, and I saw that prick, Caverject. :smuggrin: Who else went?

Just got back last night- early evening (had a good flight).

I saw Caverject. Saw some other SDNers whose screennames I don't have. Probably for the better. hehe :D

microbe hunter said:
Just got back last night- early evening (had a good flight).

I saw Caverject. Saw some other SDNers whose screennames I don't have. Probably for the better. hehe :D
I saw that dingus Caverject on the street stealing some homeless dude's money...what a prick

I also saw microbe hunter, Glycerin (thanks for the hookup btw! ;) ) fruit fly, ultracet, kristakoch, young skywalker, and others I don't remember off hand. (and no, i dont go around asking people if they are sdn'ers..I knew them all previously)

Abilify said:
I saw that dingus Caverject on the street stealing some homeless dude's money...what a prick

Yeah. I remember that!

i just got back....

heck of a trip

and i saw entirely too many people to remember

SAN FRANCISCO was AWESOME!!! Had a blast at the APhA Meeting!!! :thumbup:

Yeah, I had a good time as well. 3 plastic bags full of pens should last for a while!!!

Yup I went to APhA. It was a lot of FUN and yes I got enough pens to last me the next 4 years! LOL! Too bad I didn't check this thread before going to see if I could meet some fellow SDNers. Oh well maybe next time.

i can say i picked up absolutey 0 pens

and i apparently was not "cool" enough to get the whole ribbon obsession and subsequently refused to put any ribbons or stickers on my nametag

I met Caverject, but I hope most people saw me (since I had a poster there and most people come to the poster sessions) I was #142, look it up in the JAPhA

kristakoch said:
I met Caverject, but I hope most people saw me (since I had a poster there and most people come to the poster sessions) I was #142, look it up in the JAPhA
yeah...
no
sorry