How many years since retail RPh's received a non-performance based annual raise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoughtfulsinner

Investment banking MD gambler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I started practicing as a physician, I worked as a retail pharmacist for 5 years without receiving a cost of living (inflation) raise. I'm talking about the same salary for 5 years. Have the chains finally started inplementing at least 2%-3% annual non-performance based raises?

As a physician, I've been getting a 5% annual raise not including incentives since I started 4 years ago.

With inflation running rampant, making the same amount of money as 5-10 years ago would really tighten the budget. Many careers with lower starting salaries (and less education required) with simple 3% raises per year will soon pass pharmacist salaries.

Hopefully the chains aren't still screwing PharmD/RPh's over.

Members don't see this ad.

Your point is well taken and I agree more than I disagree but I wonder what my applied inflation rate is. I very rarely buy gas so my fuel bill hasn’t changed much, I get my power from solar panels so my energy costs are fixed, my food comes mostly from a food delivery service that hasn’t raised it prices yet, and in general I haven’t “felt the pinch” personally. I am curious what other members of the forum have experienced, is inflation as bad as I hear?

One area where I did notice the price increase is homeowners insurance. I had an increase well above 10% and even when I shopped around I couldn’t find a cheaper policy with the same coverage. Boooooo

Reactions: 1 user
There is no such thing as non-performance based raise in my chain. You have three categories: 1) Exceed expectations, 2) Solid performer and 3) below expectations.

If you fall into category 1 or 2, you get a raise. There is no raise for category 3 despite other factors such as inflation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a raise every year - only ~3% though. Technically I guess performance based since you had to get at least "meets expectations" on your annual review but I've never heard of someone getting lower than that.

I've had a raise every year - only ~3% though. Technically I guess performance based since you had to get at least "meets expectations" on your annual review but I've never heard of someone getting lower than that.
What company?

Your point is well taken and I agree more than I disagree but I wonder what my applied inflation rate is. I very rarely buy gas so my fuel bill hasn’t changed much, I get my power from solar panels so my energy costs are fixed, my food comes mostly from a food delivery service that hasn’t raised it prices yet, and in general I haven’t “felt the pinch” personally. I am curious what other members of the forum have experienced, is inflation as bad as I hear?

One area where I did notice the price increase is homeowners insurance. I had an increase well above 10% and even when I shopped around I couldn’t find a cheaper policy with the same coverage. Boooooo

Inflation has been horrible for me and my family. However, I will say that we own SUVs, run our AC pretty much 24/4 at 68 degrees, and we (especially me) consume copious amounts of red meat.

It’s really freaking expensive right now to keep things going. I recently pulled about 10% of my 10 year savings to replenish my families capital engine.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure but all of these threads about raises are giving me a new-found appreciation for the cost of living raises that the hospital provides us with annually. I think maybe I have been taking some things for granted.

Reactions: 4 users
Inflation has been horrible for me and my family. However, I will say that we own SUVs, run our AC pretty much 24/4 at 68 degrees, and we (especially me) consume copious amounts of red meat.

It’s really freaking expensive right now to keep things going. I recently pulled about 10% of my 10 year savings to replenish my families capital engine.
This is where Costco comes in. I buy their reasonably prices ribeyes, vacuum seal, then keep them in the fridge. Gas is usually 30 cents cheaper per gallon than other places as well.

This is where Costco comes in. I buy their reasonably prices ribeyes, vacuum seal, then keep them in the fridge. Gas is usually 30 cents cheaper per gallon than other places as well.

I live in farm country - so I actually went 1/2 with my father to have a full cow butchered at wholesale. He took one half of the cow, and I took the other half.

On the parts that were not symmetrical, we rock paper scissor’ed. This year I scored the testicles. One of these nights we’re going to have some Rocky Mountain oysters!

There is also the tongue, the bones (make some beef broth to can), and the tail. Not to mention the organs. But the true treasure are the testicles. You can also take the penis, stretch it out really far, put it in a dehydrator and make some dog treats out of it - trust me they love it.

At one point - we stretched the cow penis out so far that we actually made a walking cane out of it. It has become somewhat of a family heirloom and it is framed on the wall in my home office. I decided to get it up off the floor cause the dogs keep trying to get at it. When I am elderly I will use it to help with my gait.

I live in farm country - so I actually went 1/2 with my father to have a full cow butchered at wholesale. He took one half of the cow, and I took the other half.

On the parts that were not symmetrical, we rock paper scissor’ed. This year I scored the testicles. One of these nights we’re going to have some Rocky Mountain oysters!

There is also the tongue, the bones (make some beef broth to can), and the tail. Not to mention the organs. But the true treasure are the testicles. You can also take the penis, stretch it out really far, put it in a dehydrator and make some dog treats out of it - trust me they love it.
Cow dong aside, that sounds pretty fun. I'm hoping to get a big freezer soon and that sounds like a good way to fill it up.

Cow dong aside, that sounds pretty fun. I'm hoping to get a big freezer soon and that sounds like a good way to fill it up.

Yea dude it’s great! And don’t be afraid of the cow dong - cow dong has plenty of uses

At one point - we stretched the cow penis out so far that we actually made a walking cane out of it. It has become somewhat of a family heirloom and it is framed on the wall in my home office. I decided to get it up off the floor cause the dogs keep trying to get at it. When I am elderly I will use it to help with my gait.
when we had a pig butchered, we would just through the organs out in the backyard and let the ferrell cats eat them. We were poor but still weren't gonna eat that crap!

Members don't see this ad :)
when we had a pig butchered, we would just through the organs out in the backyard and let the ferrell cats eat them. We were poor but still weren't gonna eat that crap!

The heart and liver is definitely worth keeping. Some of the other organs are good to keep for non-food purposes. You can also use pig intestines for sausage.

But yea - not all of the organs are good for consumption

I learned all this stuff because my father worked in a meat processing plant for many years.

The heart and liver is definitely worth keeping. Some of the other organs are good to keep for non-food purposes. You can also use pig intestines for sausage.

But yea - not all of the organs are good for consumption

I learned all this stuff because my father worked in a meat processing plant for many years.
I am sure the times we just said "make it all ground pork" it was all blended in. If a 9 year old me knew that, I might have not ate it. But - oh well, I knew a guy who would eat Sheep kidneys all the time. He always said "You just gotta fry the piss out of them"

Heart and tongue are both seriously underrated

Absolutly! Heart meat (we know it as cardiac tissue) is awesome! It’s the perfect amount of chewy. It’s great with citrus flavors

Absolutly! Heart meat (we know it as cardiac tissue) is awesome! It’s the perfect amount of chewy. It’s great with citrus flavors
this thread took about as far as a 180 as possible - haha

but I had beef tongue once on an air nippon flight - it was that or "sea food medley" It was typical airplane food - wouldn't have known it was anything other than cheap beef if they hadn't told me

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure but all of these threads about raises are giving me a new-found appreciation for the cost of living raises that the hospital provides us with annually. I think maybe I have been taking some things for granted.

Yeah I legitimately took it for granted and I thought inflation-meeting cost of living raises were the standard. Can’t imagine getting an inflation pay cut every year. Yikes.

Yeah I legitimately took it for granted and I thought inflation-meeting cost of living raises were the standard. Can’t imagine getting an inflation pay cut every year. Yikes.
unfortunately they are not - my place or work never seperated them. And lately just has been flat 2.5% for everyone- which is the lowest (but I am not complaining after hearing others).

At my wifes hospital (non-pharmacist) - she got 11% last year (in the fall) and they just announced 6% for every employee to take into account inlfation - gotta love those university based hospitals with unlimited donor pools.

Yeah, and it's bull**** because these performance based metrics can easily be manipulated based on whether or not they want to give you a raise. It seems like they try to find every excuse they can to keep me below 3.0. I recognize that I have some limitations, particularly when it comes to leading techs, but I feel I deserve a 3.0 minimum...last year they gave me 2.9...3.0 is required for a raise. I got a 3.0 on midpoint eval this year, but they basically told me I just barely made it. Rigged, I tell you...

. Rigged, I tell you...

Sure is. Im sure the DM's have a metric to give out as little raises as possible to save money. I remember first few years I was evaluated...go up 0.1 each year....granted I didnt blow it out of the ball park when I first graduated....but 0.1 each year, just laughable. Poor souls had no choice to eventually give me an exceeds because so many years of 0.1 they had to LOL

Before I started practicing as a physician, I worked as a retail pharmacist for 5 years without receiving a cost of living (inflation) raise. I'm talking about the same salary for 5 years. Have the chains finally started inplementing at least 2%-3% annual non-performance based raises?

As a physician, I've been getting a 5% annual raise not including incentives since I started 4 years ago.

With inflation running rampant, making the same amount of money as 5-10 years ago would really tighten the budget. Many careers with lower starting salaries (and less education required) with simple 3% raises per year will soon pass pharmacist salaries.

I haven't seen many employee physicians get annual raises as its all about chasing the rvus with changes in rvu quotas every year

physician compensation seems opaque. are the compensation numbers on survey sites accurate? What is the non-prominent compensation beyond salary?