APhA2010: who's here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. Who's here at APhA annual? Also, who's going to the new practicioners network thing tonight?

Also, for those of you that are here, just wondering what you think of the passed policies and the new business.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone would start a thread about this...

I haven't really been impressed by the convention, I'm staying with a friend of mine and we've mostly just been hanging out.

I'd go out tonight if I had somewhere cheap to park and if it won't be as lame as the other party.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone would start a thread about this...

I haven't really been impressed by the convention, I'm staying with a friend of mine and we've mostly just been hanging out.

I'd go out tonight if I had somewhere cheap to park and if it won't be as lame as the other party.

Yeah the bar scene is not strong in this one.
We went to Adams-Morgan Friday and very few chapters were there. Last night I didn't go out but my chapter did and apparently it was lame as well. I think this place isn't that far from our hotel so we'll walk there tonight.

Overall I like the convention. The policy process went a lot smoother than before. Sure, not much gets done with them, but I think it's good practice, and also good to know how students stand on an issue. Our chapter also did hill visits.
With CVS and Walgreens sponsoring things, limiting pharmacist hours and breaks and whatnot really can't be talked about I guess...though stuff got sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and we talked about direct-to-consumer advertising.

I'm attending (because of work). It's my first time at APhA...I've only attended ASHP Midyear meetings in the past. It's way lame in comparison.

MountainPharmD said:
I think a better question is why is anyone there?

You two make me feel better about my org & conference attendance choices :luck:

is there a point to APhA... they don't do anything it seems... there is no one there really to look out for pharmacists.. whats the point in thousands of pharmacists paying for an organization who does not have pharmacist's back.. instead just sit at washington and do nothing...

I feel they do nothing, I am not sure, but I am positive that their lobbying for pharmacist is nothing.. They really aren't even active with the health care bill debate that is going on, its like they are in the sidelines just waiting to see what they may get stuck with and then come out with a newsletter telling us that times have changed... BS!!

I decided to leave the country instead, so I'm in Ottawa. My friend I'm with just caused a 5-car pileup. The ****ing news was there. It's a good sign when a car accident is newsworthy, I suppose...

I decided to leave the country instead, so I'm in Ottawa. My friend I'm with just caused a 5-car pileup. The ****ing news was there. It's a good sign when a car accident is newsworthy, I suppose...

Damn hillbillies causing trouble up north...

What does the independent pharmacy scene look like up there? Similar to the US?

What is the point of being in that org when they do nothing? Does it really make that big of a difference on your CV? If that is the case, I will just join AMSA. I am already going to one of their leadership institutes....is that a conflict of interest? Really..as someone who was just accepted to pharm school, my knowledge of these orgs and the conventions is EXTREMELY limited. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

What is the point of being in that org when they do nothing? Does it really make that big of a difference on your CV? If that is the case, I will just join AMSA. I am already going to one of their leadership institutes....is that a conflict of interest? Really..as someone who was just accepted to pharm school, my knowledge of these orgs and the conventions is EXTREMELY limited. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Nothing? Not so much. Friday I was doing Capitol Hill visits to convince my legislators that pharmacists should be an important part of healthcare reform. Many pharmacists and student pharmacists were doing the same. Problem is that people that work for chains don't join and don't voice their opinions, just working passively because they like the paycheck.

Next Wednesday we are sending students to our state capitol to lobby for a bill on collaborative practice agreements in outpatient settings.

The sad truth is that the chains finance a lot of APhA's events and lobbying efforts, and they don't want to lose that financial support. Also, as I've previously stated, legislators do not want to involve in business, thinking that if pharmacists don't like working for a chain, they can work somewhere else (I know, not always true). So the focus is being able to practice how you want for the ones who do get out of retail.

And pushing for pharmacist-provided immunizations is nothing as well, I guess?

Nothing? Not so much. Friday I was doing Capitol Hill visits to convince my legislators that pharmacists should be an important part of healthcare reform. Many pharmacists and student pharmacists were doing the same. Problem is that people that work for chains don't join and don't voice their opinions, just working passively because they like the paycheck.

were you talking to your actual rep, or were you talking to a staffer?

were you talking to your actual rep, or were you talking to a staffer?

Unfortunately a staffer, but I guess reps and sens don't have the time to meet with students.

Regardless, as a student, I feel that APhA provides the most opportunities for leadership, patient care and advocacy.

Unfortunately a staffer, but I guess reps and sens don't have the time to meet with students.

Yup, I figured. Then this was more of a PR thing than anything, your comments most likely got aggregated into a larger brief and whittled down to 1-2 sentences. Personal experience tells me your visit didn't have much, if any, impact.

In another life, I used to lobby for the University of California Student Association and later with an unnamed firm that was retained by a financial interests co (back end work, but i still followed the teams). It was like night and day...$$$$ was coming out of our asses and reps took notice, and you'd see policy changes within a matter of months. All we got with UCSA was a young staffer in a cramped office or the capitol cafeteria and zero impact on legislative matters.

Sad but true, but that's the way it goes. I'd rather we channel APhA/ASHP/etc... dues to a reputable/cunning lobbying team than organize these lame "legislative days" that do nothing.

With CVS and Walgreens sponsoring things, limiting pharmacist hours and breaks and whatnot really can't be talked about

Why would you even go to a pharmacy conference sponsored by CVS and Walgreens? That is like going to a mother against drunk driving (MADD) conference sponsored by budweiser.

Why would you even go to a pharmacy conference sponsored by CVS and Walgreens?

swaaaaaag!

why wouldn't you go to a conference sponsored by a big corporation? small ones w/out sponsorship that i've been to are....kinda boring. :sleep:

Eh, it has more to do with where you are than the accident itself. Here in Iowa they are desperate for news and we end up seeing stories about how some guy in Kalona ran into a utility pole.

On subject, the first time I went to APhA it was fun. The second time, not so much. I think it really depends on who you go with. Like any conference/outing it can be a bonding experience. But the programming is very "rah- rah pharmacy" and mostly inconsequential. It was honestly painful to sit through some of it for a second time.