APMLE part 2 boards

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by oceanicF815, 10.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. oceanicF815

oceanicF815 5+ Year Member

Getting to that time of year again....

Whats everyone using to study?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. oceanicF815

anyone??

4. oceanicF815

What's the best way to study for internal medicine?

5. PeaJay

PeaJay 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Medicine review: Step-up to USMLE Step 2 CK

Other sources:
    -Pocket Pod
    -Presby
    -Radio notes
    -Key pharm drugs ( coverage for anaerobes, gram pos, gram neg, pseudo, gout, HTN, HDL, ect.)
    -Biomagic notes
    -Stats review and other non-sense

Over all, from what I have been told the test is crud and as long as you finished didactics with a solid base you should be fine. You just have to do the due diligence and review key topics and concepts. Pocket pod is a poor resource for actual knowledge, but it does have a good collection of tidbits that you can pull from for test questions.

6. PeaJay

PeaJay 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is a great summary by AnkleBreaker.

7. Scholl33

Scholl33 2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    step II is easier than I, but it was still a challenge that leaves you questioning things afterwards. I studied a board review book someone made and gave me and it worked. Just dedicate a good week beforehand to study all of it. When you get to part III you will be laughing your way put of there, but if you passed part I the first time, I wouldn't worry a lot about part II if you take the same approach and mentality into II.

8. oceanicF815

thanks for your responses. Between pockets and presby, which in your opinon one is better?

9. PeaJay

PeaJay 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would do pocket pod. It is a quick read and is just facts there is very little filler or actual knowledge. All you need are facts for the exam. The board exam does not test your thinking or logic, it is purely fact based. Presby maybe better for interviews though.

10. oceanicF815

Anyone with insights as to how much or how throughly pharmacology is on this exam? I've been going through old class notes but it's taking forever!!

11. Pennsylvania Pod

Pennsylvania Pod

Bump. That was rough.

12. hotdawg

hotdawg Member 10+ Year Member

Here is a bump. How was it?

13. oceanicF815

14. PeaJay

PeaJay 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How was it?

1. It was random and actually quite easy. There was no thing that was challenging due to subject matter. The challenge was figuring out what was being asked. I can see how it could be a challenge for some due to the broad constellation of facts that are required for the test. In the end it does not really test any meaningful skill, just if you did due dillagence and studied a ton of random stuff.

2. The test was a joke in the fact that they tried testing clinical knowledge with poorly written questions. The rest should be replaced with vignettes with full labs and supplental material. This would be a more difficult test that would skim some of the riff Raff and actually test the knowledge we have accumulated over the past four years.

15. Pennsylvania Pod

Pennsylvania Pod

It's good to know that memorizing the physics of radiology will determine whether you are a "minimally competent podiatrist" or not

Pronation and Ankle Breaker like this.
  16. dyk343

dyk343 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Every year people complain about the radiology part of that exam. Every year people say to study the hell out of the pocket podiatry radiology section. They ask ridiculous radiology questions, I agree. But they were all in pocket podiatry - At least the exam I took that was true.

17. terigoo

terigoo

Are retakes generally easier or harder than the first exam? Any idea on the percentage that pass the second test, or how students fare overall after the two tests are over?

18. apollofx

apollofx 7+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Wasn't today the scheduled score release date? I'm surprised there is no talk of passing or pass rates.

19. josebiwasabi

josebiwasabi 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Passed both CSPE and written. Good riddance.

20. confusedpod

confusedpod

welp..unfortunatley didn't pass this time.....anyone with any advice for the retake? how do students usually do on that one? also, any insight as to how this affects match??

21. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Podiatrist
    You still have time to re-register and pass the exam. Results from the retake will be in before the match. You are under no obligation to tell programs you applied to that you failed. Trust me there is no way they can find out, the school you attend can't disclose that information and they wouldn't even bother calling. The only way they would find out is if you told them if they happened to call you.

Pass it the next time, match, and move on with your life. If you fail it again then you will be disqualified from the match. So if you landed a residency position and ended up failing the retake you and the program are completely screwed. They will have to go into the scramble to fill that position.

Some programs may call you and blatantly ask if you passed or not. You can say whatever you want. That may rub other residents and residency directors the wrong way but programs will always find other candidates to fill the empty spot. This is all a game. Play it.

22. confusedpod

confusedpod

thanks for your response anklebreaker. anyone have an idea of what the pass rates are second time around? is the exam a bit more straightforward? thought i was in pretty good shape first time around, so im tryna figure out how to tweek my studying

23. apollofx

apollofx 7+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    No offense Ankle Breaker but I think a few things here are inaccurate. For one if a candidate fails part II twice and are then disqualified they are withdrawn from the match BEFORE the match even takes place. Your explanation makes it sound as if they run match and then remove those students that have failed which simply is not true, the match just starts and continues without you. The program will not get screwed and automatically go to scramble it will just continue down their rank list. In addition there is really no advantage from a program's perspective to finding out if a student has passed part II at this point as final rank is in for both the students AND programs, no one can change rank based on your board results! The only reason they may contact you is out of curiosity but I have never even heard of a program doing so. I agree you should play the game but the game is over and your just waiting to see who won at this point, just make sure you pass part II and take some time to relax before match knowing you've done all you can at this point!

24. apollofx

apollofx 7+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    On a separate not has anyone heard anything regarding the first time pass rate this year?

25. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Podiatrist
    Sorry got my dates crossed when results come out and when the match occurs. It's been awhile. Programs will contact you to see if you passed the exam though. It happened to me.

26. dtrack22

dtrack22 7+ Year Member

Historically the re-take pass rate was 50-60%, which make sense when you figure 100% of the people taking it couldn't pass it the first time. Why all of a sudden would 90% of them (for example) pass an exam that is supposedly similar in terms of content and difficulty to the one they just failed? I want to say the last couple years that the re-take has had more like a 75-80% pass rate. I don't think I still have any of that info lying around to confirm though.

27. Shireiqiang

Shireiqiang 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Super lame test! So glad I'm done with the APMLE!... Oh wait...

28. confusedpod

confusedpod

started studying for this again last night...kinda nervous about this retake. felt like i covered all major points and i feel like i remember a bit from last time. Hopefully will have better luck on the 18th..what more can be done now? idk

29. oceanicF815

good luck confusedpod...youve come this far, u can push thru this obstacle as well. wishing u the best

30. josebiwasabi

josebiwasabi 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    National average pass rate for first time test takers: 87.9%
    NYCPM pass rate for first time test takers: 95.5%

31. confusedpod

confusedpod

any one else fail this exam? really tough to start studying this stuff again...how r u guyz going about it?

32. confusedpod

confusedpod

bump! how's everybody doing?

33. confusedpod

confusedpod

welp! retake in the books! hopefully it went well for everyone !

About the ads