APMLE Part I Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Passed. Sweet. Lets see if we can get some "official" results as they are released by the schools. A little birdy told me the national average was 85.4% DMU will not have an official average until after the retake in October. That's the way things work around here.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard 85% national average as well. Anyone heard percentages for their individual school? I think that would be interesting info...

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that 10-11 people failed part one at Temple.

I don't know how many people took the test though.

Our Assistant Dean told our class it was the highest pass rate for a class at Temple since they've done boards. hooray, and I say that with no enthusiasm.

I heard that 10-11 people failed part one at Temple.

I don't know how many people took the test though.

Our Assistant Dean told our class it was the highest pass rate for a class at Temple since they've done boards. hooray, and I say that with no enthusiasm.

Is the Assistant Dean willing to put the pass rate to paper and distribute to the college community?

I would think Temple will make this years' numbers public. If the 2013'ers really had a 90% (give or take a few %), I think you'll see what I call the NYCPM phenomena. That's where you are traditionally at or below the national average, you have one class who does well, so you post their results and then aren't heard from again until another class does well. You could call it the Scholl phenomena but I don't think they've been above the national average for quite some time...and before you North Chicagonians get mad, remember that my former school also loves to tout "tradition" and "history" rather than fixing bloated class sizes and underwhelming student performances.

I would think Temple will make this years' numbers public. If the 2013'ers really had a 90% (give or take a few %), I think you'll see what I call the NYCPM phenomena. That's where you are traditionally at or below the national average, you have one class who does well, so you post their results and then aren't heard from again until another class does well. You could call it the Scholl phenomena but I don't think they've been above the national average for quite some time...and before you North Chicagonians get mad, remember that my former school also loves to tout "tradition" and "history" rather than fixing bloated class sizes and underwhelming student performances.

I posted this on another thread. No responses. Students should push the administration to inform students of board results, to include trending data. This should be in written form that could be verified by CPME if the results appear questionable. This is an outcome students deserve to know. I would be very suspect of any college that does not inform students of the results over time. Students that attend a university should go to the Provost or senior academic administrator and those free standing should go to the President if the dean withholds this information. Failure to release this information brings into question the integrity of the institution. There are no acceptable excuses.

I posted this on another thread. No responses. Students should push the administration to inform students of board results, to include trending data. This should be in written form that could be verified by CPME if the results appear questionable. This is an outcome students deserve to know. I would be very suspect of any college that does not inform students of the results over time. Students that attend a university should go to the Provost or senior academic administrator and those free standing should go to the President if the dean withholds this information. Failure to release this information brings into question the integrity of the institution. There are no acceptable excuses.

Agreed.

We are 114 students in Temple's class of 2013. I don't know if last year's retakers were included in these statistics but, our Dean of academics told us we hit 89-90%. 102/114 would give you that 89.4%. I don't know if this is true but I heard from the people who went to Boston this year that APMSA said national avg was in the low 80's. If Temple and NYCPM had close to 90% passing rate, did any school perform under 80%?

AZPod 2013 had 30 out of 31 students (96.7%) pass the exam.

Western had 83% pass.

No worries, we have high expectations of Western. Although it has not produced any respectable results thus far, with time it will definitely join the power trio Arizona, Chicago, and DMU.

Wait is Scholl the one in Chicago?

You could call it the Scholl phenomena but I don't think they've been above the national average for quite some time

You do understand, FiveO, that every time you post on these boards with a superiority complex, people develop a negative attitude of you and your school? Your comments will now forever be laughable in my book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait is Scholl the one in Chicago?

You do understand, FiveO, that every time you post on these boards with a superiority complex, people develop a negative attitude of you and your school? Your comments will now forever be laughable in my book.

Oh NO! someone doesnt like me, I will for sure lose sleep over this :rolleyes:

I have no problem with people who cannot compete at the "superior" level having problems with me. Wake up, time to face facts and change Podiatry for the better. Competition is what is missing in our fantasy, everyone is created equal profession.

Last edited:
Westernu students ended their 2nd yr in Mid-may. But started their rotations in June. Only 2 weeks of free time. So while doing their rotations they had to study their boards.

DMU gets basically 8 weeks. We have summer clinic for 4 weeks, either 1st or 2nd session, but it is only for a half day 3 days a week, so really not that much time.

Westernu students ended their 2nd yr in Mid-may. But started their rotations in June. Only 2 weeks of free time. So while doing their rotations they had to study their boards.

This is not unique to Western.

I don't mean to seem smug here folks, but as time goes on you will have NO time just to study for boards at all. You'll have part III AND Surgery boards to study for while in residency (unless you sit for part III right after school is out) and then by the time you sit for the oral surgery boards you'll be in the middle of private practice and likely for some raising a young family. Time management is key!

I don't mean to seem smug here folks, but as time goes on you will have NO time just to study for boards at all. You'll have part III AND Surgery boards to study for while in residency (unless you sit for part III right after school is out) and then by the time you sit for the oral surgery boards you'll be in the middle of private practice and likely for some raising a young family. Time management is key!
I agree Kidsfeet, but part I is different. The last time I touched biochem was nearly 2 years ago. Parts 2 and 3 are going to be podiatry specific, the stuff you are dealing with day in and day out.

I agree Kidsfeet, but part I is different. The last time I touched biochem was nearly 2 years ago. Parts 2 and 3 are going to be podiatry specific, the stuff you are dealing with day in and day out.

Not so much. Especially on the ABPS written boards. There were things on there that I never saw in practice and hadn't seen since podiatry school. Specifically, there were histology and pathology slides over and above the usual "Is this Staph or Strep?". Some of the concepts on the exam were biomechanical ones that you only encountered in school as well, and maybe in residency if your attendings were on the ball and very academic. You still have to find time to study for these tests and there is no leeway once your life in late residency and private practice kicks in.

Not so much. Especially on the ABPS written boards. There were things on there that I never saw in practice and hadn't seen since podiatry school. Specifically, there were histology and pathology slides over and above the usual "Is this Staph or Strep?". Some of the concepts on the exam were biomechanical ones that you only encountered in school as well, and maybe in residency if your attendings were on the ball and very academic. You still have to find time to study for these tests and there is no leeway once your life in late residency and private practice kicks in.

grats on become mod

No worries, we have high expectations of Western. Although it has not produced any respectable results thus far, with time it will definitely join the power trio Arizona, Chicago, and DMU.
:bow:

robopod97 said:

It would be easy enough to figure out pass rates for each school every year via SDN. I personally stopped expecting admins to change years ago, so I wouldn't be one to push it, but it could be done.

Speaking of board scores. Where is Sig Savant to clamor about NYCPM's pass rate? Judging by old posts you and your classmates took it and surely have results.
Sig Savant said:
Just because a school is on top today does not mean it will be one of the better ones in a few years. Schools must be progressive! NY has changed! And it will be proven again in next year's scores.

All members of my class knew the results as soon as they were available. We actually found out the class pass rate prior to finding out individual scores. I think I'll just keep SDN in the dark for a few more days.

Maybe Godfather will beat you to it?

Now that I think about it. He hasn't posted in a long time. Should I play the Queen CD now?

DMU's part 1 board scores have been released. The Dean waits until after the 2nd offering (yesterday) of Part 1 before doing so. From DMU's website :

The CPMS class of 2013 achieved a 98% pass rate on the July 2011 administration of Part I of the National Board Exam. This compares to the national first-time pass rate of 85%. For the past five years, CPMS students have averaged a 95% first-time pass rate, compared to the national first-time pass rate of 84% (which includes CPMS students). Congratulations on a job well done!

http://www.dmu.edu/2011/10/cpms-students-surpass-national-average-on-board-exam:

Now maybe some other schools can release theirs...?

DMU's part 1 board scores have been released. The Dean waits until after the 2nd offering (yesterday) of Part 1 before doing so. From DMU's website :

The CPMS class of 2013 achieved a 98% pass rate on the July 2011 administration of Part I of the National Board Exam. This compares to the national first-time pass rate of 85%. For the past five years, CPMS students have averaged a 95% first-time pass rate, compared to the national first-time pass rate of 84% (which includes CPMS students). Congratulations on a job well done!

http://www.dmu.edu/2011/10/cpms-students-surpass-national-average-on-board-exam:

If the dean waited until the 2nd offering in October to be over, does that mean the quoted 98% is not the 1st time pass rate? I'm a bit confused.

If the dean waited until the 2nd offering in October to be over, does that mean the quoted 98% is not the 1st time pass rate? I'm a bit confused.

No, that is just when he waits to release the scores. The 2nd offering was yesterday and obviously scores are not back yet.
Let me paraphrase the statement : Of all the DMU students who took Part 1 on July 13th, 98% of the students passed vs a national average of 85 % which includes DMU's students in the average (helping to bring it up considerably I might add).

I was under the impression that everyone already knew what was going on .... whatever... nycpm class 2013 :
"The National pass rate was 85.4%, NYCPM received score reports on 79 first time takers. Out of the 79 first time takers, 11 failed giving NYCPM a pass rate of 86%."

This is what we got, for what its worth everyone was allowed to sit for exams, there was no attempt to weed out.

MOST schools will never post their true first time pass scores. It will always be "word of mouth". There is too much money in admissions at stake...

I'm not entirely sure why the DMU kids have to continually make everyone aware of this point. We get it...you guys are awesome. Especially you Air Bud. You are my internet hero. Quite arguably the wittiest hard ass on the web. I bow to your internet excellence.

lol lets all play nice

MOST schools will never post their true first time pass scores. It will always be "word of mouth". There is too much money in admissions at stake...

I'm not entirely sure why the DMU kids have to continually make everyone aware of this point. We get it...you guys are awesome. Especially you Air Bud. You are my internet hero. Quite arguably the wittiest hard ass on the web. I bow to your internet excellence.

I met two 3rd year Temple students that transferred from DMU for reasons unknown to me.

Let the flames begin!

I met two 3rd year Temple students that transferred from DMU for reasons unknown to me.

Let the flames begin!

tumblr_l4aiapByPA1qa0ztjo6_400.png

Last edited:

Excellent results :thumbup:

If every school held out their at risk students until the October exam the July national pass rate would be over 95%.

If every school held out their at risk students until the October exam the July national pass rate would be over 95%.

Wow, what a pathetic response. Is this your way of coping with a lack of information coming from the administration of OCPM or is this the crap they are telling you. Way to represent "the OCPM".

I don't think this is necessarily true. Almost all of the students from my school that failed boards part 1 in July were average students. The "at-risk" students passed, perhaps because they knew they had an uphill battle and studied really hard for that exam.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Almost all of the students from my school that failed boards part 1 in July were average students. The "at-risk" students passed, perhaps because they knew they had an uphill battle and studied really hard for that exam.

I agree. One of our profs at Scholl said of the kids whose GPAs are in the low 2's that they're working at full capacity--they're not at the top of the class, but they'll get the job done.

The message we really want to be sending to the 1st and 2nd year students in the audience is that irrespective of what school you're at, passing the board exam is a monumental task, but with careful and diligent preparation, it can be done! The amount of work you put in matters a lot more than where you're going to school.

Good job, DMUers. I'm a first year, and the boards terrify me, but I figure if I can compete with the class on a consistent basis, the high pass rates make me think I'll do fine.

Just keep truckin'.

Wow, what a pathetic response. Is this your way of coping with a lack of information coming from the administration of OCPM or is this the crap they are telling you. Way to represent "the OCPM".

Though the quality of information from the OCPM administration is not always the best, there is not necessarily a lack of it. They told us the part I pass rate the day the scores came out. As for holding students out of the exam,there have been rumors that some schools have held students out. I don't know if they are true or not. I would imagine if they held out anyone they thought would fail then the pass rate would be pretty high. However, you risk holding back students with low GPAs who might have actually passed the exam.

as the docs said ur one pathetic student

Please refrain from personal attacks on these or any other forum. This is not a place to sling mud, but to share ideas in a respectful and thought provoking manner. Thanks.

Received an email from the dean today stating 100 percent pass rate on part I following the second offering in October. 98 percent first time, 100 percent 2nd time. Good job DMU students.

Any other schools have any updates?