APMLE practice exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pod stdent 2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much easier are the 2 prometric APMLE practice exams that are online compared to the real exam?
i took both of them (120 questions) and got around a 76%

and if someone can explain how the test is standardized and approx how many questions we need to get right to pass that would be nice too as ive heard a lot of different things from different people and professors

Members don't see this ad.

Took them both as well and averaged at a 70.

I heard the practice tests that are on the APMLE website this year are supposed to be representative of the real thing. The ones that were previously posted in years past were much easier.

How this test is standardized is the $64,000 question. Nobody seems to know the answer to it. I have heard that a good chunk of questions are used as research for future exams and get thrown out. The percentage of questions we need to get right from the questions they don't throw out is anybody's guess. I have heard many rumors at my school from various people. All we can do is study hard and do the best we can!

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard from a reasonably reliable source that there are two criteria you need to meet in order to pass:

1. You have to get a certain percent correct (50-55% as far as I can tell)
2. You have to score in the 15th percentile or higher (which I believe is 2 standard deviations under average).

Members don't see this ad :)
On a related note, how similar are the APMLE Step 1 BoardVitals questions to our boards?

Just took the ones on APMLE - are they indicative of the real thing? They seemed to focus on the same concepts in each test.

Upperclassman told me BoardsVitals is very similar. I thought those two APMLE were similar to the BoardsVitals. Except maybe micro... the micro on boardsvitals is more straight forward I thought?

And how is everyone handling this last weekish? I think I'm just gonna do a mass review of LEA, pharm, micro, and physio. Haven't touched much of path besides path covered in Sketchy or BRS. Might just try to cover some bigger topics.

On a related note, how similar are the APMLE Step 1 BoardVitals questions to our boards?

Word is boardvitals is more difficult than our actual boards. By how much? Who knows.

Can this become the boards 2017 thread lol. I know my classmates are always poking around here for advice / thoughts on boards from previous years.

I've heard from a reasonably reliable source that there are two criteria you need to meet in order to pass:

2. You have to score in the 15th percentile or higher (which I believe is 2 standard deviations under average).

I would check your sources about those statistics. Certain schools use the APMLE practice exam as a barometer to distinguish if students are qualified to take Part 1 of the national board exam. I know this isn't universally practiced across all nine podiatric medical schools, but those schools that uphold this practice like to see their students achieve at least an 85% on the practice exam before receiving the appropriate permission to take the real deal.

Moral of the story: study as if the test was scored, not pass/fail.

Good luck to all!!

I would check your sources about those statistics. Certain schools use the APMLE practice exam as a barometer to distinguish if students are qualified to take Part 1 of the national board exam. I know this isn't universally practiced across all nine podiatric medical schools, but those schools that uphold this practice like to see their students achieve at least an 85% on the practice exam before receiving the appropriate permission to take the real deal.

Good luck to all!!

What school are those?

Good luck to all!!
invariably there is a post every year that states that there are certain schools who don't let all of their students take the APMLE exam based on some in-house exam. It seems ridiculous to me but maybe there is a school that actually does this?

Good luck to all!!

For years I've heard that there are schools that prevent their students from taking the exam. I have yet to hear which, however.

Think about it: Why would a school hold students back over something like that? Even if a student can't quite reach an 85% on a practice exam, he/she will still likely pass the real thing. They'd be losing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars of tuition money.

Additionally, I sincerely doubt that the majority of the students at my school are scoring an 85% or higher on those APMLE practice exams, and we have the highest first time pass rate out of all 9 schools!

For years I've heard that there are schools that prevent their students from taking the exam. I have yet to hear which, however.

Think about it: Why would a school hold students back over something like that? Even if a student can't quite reach an 85% on a practice exam, he/she will still likely pass the real thing. They'd be losing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars of tuition money.

Additionally, I sincerely doubt that the majority of the students at my school are scoring an 85% or higher on those APMLE practice exams, and we have the highest first time pass rate out of all 9 schools!

That's awesome to hear about your school!! As Dr. Josebiwasabi alluded to there are some schools every year that "vet" those who are able to take the exam. They set the bar pretty dang high to ensure that they fulfill their quota and to attract next year's applicants. This practice is not that out of the ordinary for MD and DO programs for the exact same reasoning.

As always: morale of the story is to study as if the test was scored, not pass/fail.

That's awesome to hear about your school!! As Dr. Josebiwasabi alluded to there are some schools every year that "vet" those who are able to take the exam. They set the bar pretty dang high to ensure that they fulfill their quota and to attract next year's applicants. This practice is not that out of the ordinary for MD and DO programs for the exact same reasoning.

As always: morale of the story is to study as if the test was scored, not pass/fail.

I really don't think any schools do this for the reasons stated in my above post.

Here's another perspective: Prometric makes you register for the boards months in advance. You have to register (and thus get your school's permission to take the exam) long before most people even start studying, let alone are in a position to score even half way decently on those practice exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think any schools do this for the reasons stated in my above post.

Here's another perspective: Prometric makes you register for the boards months in advance. You have to register (and thus get your school's permission to take the exam) long before most people even start studying, let alone are in a position to score even half way decently on those practice exams.

While this may be true to your school there are others that really promote students to start studying much earlier than that. The Podiatric schools in question have started to adopt practices from their DO/MD counterparts in that a Competency exam is administered before registration opens to determine where you stand ahead of time. This practice may not be commonplace yet at your school but as with everything else DPM's are taking certain strides towards parity.

While this may be true to your school there are others that really promote students to start studying much earlier than that. The Podiatric schools in question have started to adopt practices from their DO/MD counterparts in that a Competency exam is administered before registration opens to determine where you stand ahead of time. This practice may not be commonplace yet at your school but as with everything else DPM's are taking certain strides towards parity.

Lets say for a second that you're right and there are indeed schools that prevent students from taking the exam: There is absolutely no way that the cutoff is 85%. If it were, that school would have a 100% pass rate (which no school has) and a 3rd year class consisting of 10 people.

Lets say for a second that you're right and there are indeed schools that prevent students from taking the exam: There is absolutely no way that the cutoff is 85%. If it were, that school would have a 100% pass rate (which no school has) and a 3rd year class consisting of 10 people.
If you could provide us with some sources/ equation on how you came to the conclusion of a third year class of ten I think it would be to the benefit of this whole forum.

In podiatry the part 1 passer rate hovers around mid 80's- mid 90's regardless of the year. While it may be hard to believe that some schools push for their students to come into the exam over prepared ( to ensure a supple safety net) I am merely the messenger and am reporting on what my school does.

I am just really excited to get this damn test over with. Seems like a lot of people at my school are starting to get burned out with the studying. One more week left. We got this!!

I am just really excited to get this damn test over with. Seems like a lot of people at my school are starting to get burned out with the studying. One more week left. We got this!!
Amen to that my friend!

If you could provide us with some sources/ equation on how you came to the conclusion of a third year class of ten I think it would be to the benefit of this whole forum.

In podiatry the part 1 passer rate hovers around mid 80's- mid 90's regardless of the year. While it may be hard to believe that some schools push for their students to come into the exam over prepared ( to ensure a supple safety net) I am merely the messenger and am reporting on what my school does.

I think you're missing the point of what I'm trying to say here. That's a made up number. I thought that was implied.

For the record the pass rate is roughly 85% every year (if you don't believe me go to all the schools' websites and take a weighted average).

What would benefit the whole forum is you telling us what schools, if any, actually hold people back from taking the exam. After that you should tell us what the cut off is on these diagnostic tests the schools give because it damn sure isn't 85%. And after that you should tell us how many people at each school actually are prevented from taking the exam.

I really don't even know why I'm arguing with you. You made an account today and have a grand total of 4 posts. For all I know you don't even go to podiatry school.

I think you're missing the point of what I'm trying to say here. That's a made up number. I thought that was implied.

For the record the pass rate is roughly 85% every year (if you don't believe me go to all the schools' websites and take a weighted average).

What would benefit the whole forum is you telling us what schools, if any, actually hold people back from taking the exam. After that you should tell us what the cut off is on these diagnostic tests the schools give because it damn sure isn't 85%. And after that you should tell us how many people at each school actually are prevented from taking the exam.

I really don't even know why I'm arguing with you. You made an account today and have a grand total of 4 posts. For all I know you don't even go to podiatry school.
Oh Okay

Last edited:

Yeah? So where is it that you go to school?

How much easier are the 2 prometric APMLE practice exams that are online compared to the real exam?
i took both of them (120 questions) and got around a 76%

and if someone can explain how the test is standardized and approx how many questions we need to get right to pass that would be nice too as ive heard a lot of different things from different people and professors
From the NBPME 2016 Fall Report: "...the questions selected for the practice exams are those that have previously been used in actual examinations and had performed well statistically in distinguishing between better and less qualified candidates. These questions will now only be used for the practice exams."

As far as standardization and passing the exam, like most licensing and certifying exams, the questions are standardized by a modified Angoff standard-setting method. That's written right in the test bulletins as well as the Audit Panel Report done on NBPME. So if someone is trying to explain to you the scoring of the exam, and they can't explain the modified Angoff method, then I wouldn't take their advice. I'll try to simplify this explanation as much as possible, though it is a bit more complex than how I'll explain it. Also, what I'm about to explain only applies to the questions that count towards the pass/fail, which are the vast majority of them. Some small percentage are being tested for future use and don't count towards your score. This also throws some people off, making them think that their exam didn't match the percentages posted in the bulletin. Prometric guarantees that the scored portion does match the percentage breakdown given in the bulletin.

A group of practicing podiatrists, under the guidance of Prometric, preview every single test question to determine the likelihood that a "minimally competent podiatrist" would answer it correctly. That's an important distinction, because it's based on whether a practicing podiatrist could answer correctly, not a podiatry student. It's also important to note that these podiatrists must all come to an agreement on how a "minimally competent podiatrist" would perform on a question, otherwise they have to discuss the question with eachother and then keep assessing it until they come to a general agreement, then their assessments are averaged. Through this process, essentially, the questions are standardized which then in turn standardizes the exams.

So let's say you get a 5 question exam. The podiatrists agreed that a "minimally competent podiatrist" would have a 40% chance of answering question 1 correctly, a 50% chance of answering question 2 correctly, a 60% chance of answering question 3 correctly, a 70% chance of answering question 4 correctly, and an 80% chance of answering question 5 correctly. You could basically average all of these percentages to arrive at the "cut score", which is the pass mark for this particular exam. For this exam a "minimally competent podiatrist" should score a 60% and so that's the passing score. Whether they answer 1, 2, and 3, or 1, 3, and 5, or whatever correctly doesn't really matter because each question is technically weighted the same in the actual scoring of the exam. But as long as you can score a 60% then you've scored as well as a "minimally competent podiatrist" would have. The cut score could just as well end up being a 70% or an 80%. It's different for every version of the test, but that doesn't matter. What this standardization method is great for is scaling the cut score to the difficulty of the questions. If the questions are more difficult, all those expected percentages will be lower, and you can pass that difficult exam by answering fewer questions correctly. If the questions are much easier, then you'll be expected to answer many more questions correctly to pass that exam.

The last part of this all is a standardization of the final score so that different versions of the exam can be directly compared. Raw percentages are converted to a scale that begins at 55 (lowest score) up to 75 (passing score) and beyond. So if you have a difficult exam with a cut score of 60%, that 60% would become a 75 on the final scale. If your friend takes a much easier exam with a cut score of 80%, that 80% would become a 75 on the final scale. When some people say that you need a "75" to pass the exam, this is where they pull the 75 from, they're just incorrect in that the 75 isn't representative of a 75%. The 75 can just be read as "pass" or "whatever percentage is equal to passing on this very specific version of the exam".

Finally, following the exam, items that performed statistically worse than expected are reviewed and if they are found to be flawed everybody is given credit for those questions.

If any part of that is still confusing let me know and I can try to explain it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Being scored with the modified Angoff method, the percentage required to pass is different for each version of the exam. Also, everybody can pass or everybody can fail. There is not a certain percentage of people that Prometric and NBPME are required to fail each year.

Last edited:
The goldfarb institute (the guys who make the residency board review stuff for abfas) came out with a APMLE part 1 and 2 review app. Search for it on the app store. I have it... Pretty decent question bank totally different than boardvitals.

From the NBPME 2016 Fall Report: "...the questions selected for the practice exams are those that have previously been used in actual examinations and had performed well statistically in distinguishing between better and less qualified candidates. These questions will now only be used for the practice exams."

As far as standardization and passing the exam, like most licensing and certifying exams, the questions are standardized by a modified Angoff standard-setting method. That's written right in the test bulletins as well as the Audit Panel Report done on NBPME. So if someone is trying to explain to you the scoring of the exam, and they can't explain the modified Angoff method, then I wouldn't take their advice. I'll try to simplify this explanation as much as possible, though it is a bit more complex than how I'll explain it. Also, what I'm about to explain only applies to the questions that count towards the pass/fail, which are the vast majority of them. Some small percentage are being tested for future use and don't count towards your score. This also throws some people off, making them think that their exam didn't match the percentages posted in the bulletin. Prometric guarantees that the scored portion does match the percentage breakdown given in the bulletin.

A group of practicing podiatrists, under the guidance of Prometric, preview every single test question to determine the likelihood that a "minimally competent podiatrist" would answer it correctly. That's an important distinction, because it's based on whether a practicing podiatrist could answer correctly, not a podiatry student. It's also important to note that these podiatrists must all come to an agreement on how a "minimally competent podiatrist" would perform on a question, otherwise they have to discuss the question with eachother and then keep assessing it until they come to a general agreement, then their assessments are averaged. Through this process, essentially, the questions are standardized which then in turn standardizes the exams.

So let's say you get a 5 question exam. The podiatrists agreed that a "minimally competent podiatrist" would have a 40% chance of answering question 1 correctly, a 50% chance of answering question 2 correctly, a 60% chance of answering question 3 correctly, a 70% chance of answering question 4 correctly, and an 80% chance of answering question 5 correctly. You could basically average all of these percentages to arrive at the "cut score", which is the pass mark for this particular exam. For this exam a "minimally competent podiatrist" should score a 60% and so that's the passing score. Whether they answer 1, 2, and 3, or 1, 3, and 5, or whatever correctly doesn't really matter because each question is technically weighted the same in the actual scoring of the exam. But as long as you can score a 60% then you've scored as well as a "minimally competent podiatrist" would have. The cut score could just as well end up being a 70% or an 80%. It's different for every version of the test, but that doesn't matter. What this standardization method is great for is scaling the cut score to the difficulty of the questions. If the questions are more difficult, all those expected percentages will be lower, and you can pass that difficult exam by answering fewer questions correctly. If the questions are much easier, then you'll be expected to answer many more questions correctly to pass that exam.

The last part of this all is a standardization of the final score so that different versions of the exam can be directly compared. Raw percentages are converted to a scale that begins at 55 (lowest score) up to 75 (passing score) and beyond. So if you have a difficult exam with a cut score of 60%, that 60% would become a 75 on the final scale. If your friend takes a much easier exam with a cut score of 80%, that 80% would become a 75 on the final scale. When some people say that you need a "75" to pass the exam, this is where they pull the 75 from, they're just incorrect in that the 75 isn't representative of a 75%. The 75 can just be read as "pass" or "whatever percentage is equal to passing on this very specific version of the exam".

Finally, following the exam, items that performed statistically worse than expected are reviewed and if they are found to be flawed everybody is given credit for those questions.

If any part of that is still confusing let me know and I can try to explain it better.

I thought the exam was LOFT style this year, and I thought that meant everyone would have a same amount of what they deem easy, intermediate and difficult questions? Just everyone gets different questions. So if there was 12 questions everyone would get 4 pulled from an easy pool, 4 from the intermediate pool and 4 from the difficult? Am I wrong?

I thought the exam was LOFT style this year, and I thought that meant everyone would have a same amount of what they deem easy, intermediate and difficult questions? Just everyone gets different questions. So if there was 12 questions everyone would get 4 pulled from an easy pool, 4 from the intermediate pool and 4 from the difficult? Am I wrong?
NBPME has said they're switching to LOFT.

With LOFT, every exam should indeed be more similar in terms of difficulty. But how similar they will be really depends on the complexity of the algorithm they use and the size of the question bank. The most likely result of LOFT for APMLE is that the cut scores of each exam (and thus the overall difficulty of each exam) will be much more similar than they have been in the past. However, because of the complexity of the Angoff ratings, there probably are not enough items of every possible rating in every content category in the question bank for every exam to have the exact same cut score. Especially since NBPME says they do not reuse questions from year to year.

Still, I wouldn't count on an exact percentage needed to pass the exam.

And apparently now that it's gonna be LOFT, they're gonna start allowing backtracking (review of questions).

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile