Apparently we are "behind the times"...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmz

Pathology Wannabe
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was a quote from a CEO I spoke with this morning when I learned that a significant portion of my hospital GI work is likely going to be heading out the door to a GI group's privately owned pathology lab. Apparently, in our neck of the woods, the cash grab from GI groups hasn't been fully realized until recently. The hospital is opening up an ASC as a joint venture with a local GI group and essentially giving them carte blanche so long as they keep providing hospital coverage. This was the consolation prize that I earned today. Did someone talk about pathology burnout? I am ready to retire.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
The hospital is opening up an ASC as a joint venture with a local GI group and essentially giving them carte blanche so long as they keep providing hospital coverage.
This is essentially what it comes down to. In the past hospitals had written in their bylaws that all specimens obtained under their roof has to be sent to the hospital lab. Now, clinicians/GI docs are threatening to leave or take their business elsewhere if they don't get their way i.e. they want to keep medical staff privileges and the ability to continue to use the hospital's facilities + the freedom to send their specimens to whomever they choose (in this case their own in-house lab). And there's nothing we can do about it...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm surprised that it took this long for this to happen to you cmz - this happened in my parts over 5 years ago. Same for GU/prostate and even heme/onc marrows. And the surgeons opened up their own ASC with in house lab too. Everything was moved away from the hospital, along with the pathology - and the hospital allowed it because otherwise they'd lose the physician contracts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Multiple Small GI biopsies from one encounter are likely heading toward a G code, same path bill no matter how many biopsies are taken. Similar to extended prostate needle cores.

No matter where these biopsies go still need a path to sign them out. So one of us will be getting paid. as long as there aren’t too many of us out there willing to take a low ball offer all is good right?

According to academic leaders we have a shortage of paths so nothing to worry about…

Unrelated - did LA get banned ?

I'm surprised that it took this long for this to happen to you cmz - this happened in my parts over 5 years ago. Same for GU/prostate and even heme/onc marrows. And the surgeons opened up their own ASC with in house lab too. Everything was moved away from the hospital, along with the pathology - and the hospital allowed it because otherwise they'd lose the physician contracts.
Hence, we are behind the times haha. We seldom see prostate bx. I am fortunate enough, by reputation, to obtain a good deal of local bone marrows from the oncology groups around the area. At this point, I am seeing more doom and gloom for hospital-based pathologists in my area. We are already underserved and I am afraid this will put us on life support. Unfortunately, the hospital cannot have it all. I do think stopping a massive GI bleed is more important than me reading out an atrophic gastritis. However, I will work as much as I get paid.

On a side note, what do you think about this:

A high volume heme-onc approached me about a year ago to run his flow cytometer in his office and said he would send me all of his bone marrows. I would have to assume the role of medical director for his "flow lab" and hematology testing and perform the bone marrow bx (not an issue) onsite. I would also have to pay a facility fee at his location to do the biopsy (big issue). I found out that he was wanting to send flow cytometry on peripheral blood specimens on his patients on a semi-annual basis -- "Just the patients with anemia, thrombocytopenia, etc." The office manager showed me a list of about 40 patients "needing" flow cytometry. They had been holding this list for months. She said, "As long as I put this as an ICD10 code you can run the flow, right?" I told her it didn't quite work that way. The path group that worked with him before was more or less out of the picture. I came to find out why -- (1) his flow cytometer had not been touched for maintenance for over 2 years, (2) more than 75% of his antibodies had expired, and (3) the company that provided him with service/reagents essentially froze his account because he was in the red on his reagent contract and owed over six figures. I began to question why he was holding on to 40 patients for flow if there was a medical necessity. The manager told me to get the machine going so they can run the specimens quickly. I told the manager I will not run a single sample on their machine until it's serviced and we validate a new set of antibodies because I can no longer do lot-to-lot validations. This was going to cost them "extra" by my calculations. I offered to run what flow I could on my machine. That wasn't going to happen. The heme-onc mentioned to me that he needed to do a bone marrow on a patient badly but he needed to run the flow on his machine (awesome reason). I said it was out of the question and offered to interpret the bone marrow but run the flow at my facility instead. He reluctantly agreed because the patient was "sick." So I performed a bone marrow on an individual that had been profoundly pancytopenic for many months. I didn't have a good feeling about this case, but proceeded anyway. The patient's marrow more or less showed an aplastic anemia. I went back to the oncologist and said that I'm out. Please find another pathologist.

I should have never held on this long to this group in the first place and should have peaced out a lot sooner. I was only there for a couple of visits (including the marrow procedure) and each visit seemed to raise more and more red flags. The horror part of the story was actually not even the flow cytometry lab (and the obvious over-utilization performed by his group). The hematology area was the $hit-show. They failed two PTs in a row and were essentially told you can't run this analyzer anymore. They received their third PT for CBC and were looking to me to save the lab so they could continue to test. Good luck with that.

• Wow
Multiple Small GI biopsies from one encounter are likely heading toward a G code, same path bill no matter how many biopsies are taken. Similar to extended prostate needle cores.

No matter where these biopsies go still need a path to sign them out. So one of us will be getting paid. as long as there aren’t too many of us out there willing to take a low ball offer all is good right?

According to academic leaders we have a shortage of paths so nothing to worry about…

Unrelated - did LA get banned ?
I totally agree that we're headed for a G code akin to prostate bx. The issue is that there are so many eager pathologists willing to undercut for the privilege of signing this stuff out. It is a damn cake walk. Once you see enough GI, you've done your mini-fellowship and can advertise that on your website. Most GI groups won't care about TAT (but that's the reason for the in-office exemption right?) as long as they get a good cut of the pie.

The labs that do the PC/TC split billing also seem to be the ones that over-utilize stains to compensate for the loss of TC. We performed Thiazine blue to rule out HP but I can't really tell, so I will do the IHC also. Are those lymphocytes in the villi? Hmm. I guess I better get a CD3 to make sure they are T-cells and look as increased as I think they might be. I've got a canned comment ready for this that will wow the clinician and patient.

LA Doc is indeed the OG. Always entertaining and usually on point.

In my area, all the GI docs (and I mean all of them) pulled out their specimens to their in-office labs AND gave all the hospitals the middle finger - as in they're not covering zippo in any hospital. Most of the urologists have done the same thing and the pulmonologists are thinking of doing the same thing because why not, it worked for the other two specialties.

Pathology has no real recourse against this short of responding like OPEC does to a glut of oil.

In my area, all the GI docs (and I mean all of them) pulled out their specimens to their in-office labs AND gave all the hospitals the middle finger - as in they're not covering zippo in any hospital. Most of the urologists have done the same thing and the pulmonologists are thinking of doing the same thing because why not, it worked for the other two specialties.

Pathology has no real recourse against this short of responding like OPEC does to a glut of oil.
I guess I am a bit surprised that the GIs etc are not providing call coverage at these hospitals. One call night in GI pays more than what most lab medical directors receive for a monthly stipend in my area (some find it OK to work for free). As far as how the urologists in my area work, they either submit to one location because they own shares of the hospital or submit to a reference lab because my prior colleagues never fostered that relationship to obtain that business. It has been a struggle to get this type of business with the exception of hemepath.

On another side note, how does everyone feel about CMS/CLIA allowing individuals with a nursing degree to perform moderate/high complexity testing?

"We do not have any reason to believe that nurses would be unable to accurately and reliably perform moderate and high complexity testing with appropriate training and demonstration of competency." Love, CLIA/CMS

I guess I am a bit surprised that the GIs etc are not providing call coverage at these hospitals. One call night in GI pays more than what most lab medical directors receive for a monthly stipend in my area (some find it OK to work for free). As far as how the urologists in my area work, they either submit to one location because they own shares of the hospital or submit to a reference lab because my prior colleagues never fostered that relationship to obtain that business. It has been a struggle to get this type of business with the exception of hemepath.

On another side note, how does everyone feel about CMS/CLIA allowing individuals with a nursing degree to perform moderate/high complexity testing?

"We do not have any reason to believe that nurses would be unable to accurately and reliably perform moderate and high complexity testing with appropriate training and demonstration of competency." Love, CLIA/CMS

It is and it isn't about the money. They largely figure that the passive income they get from insourcing GI or other easy to obtain outpatient biopsy specimens is easier and less hassle than having to deal with the nonsense that hospital administrators put them through on a nearly daily basis. For some, the money on call is not worth it. And you're right, hemepath has been an exception because good hemepath docs are hard to come by - especially those that bother to keep current in private practice.

As for nurses doing mod to high complexity testing, it's been a mixed bag for us. We have RTs and RNs doing some lab testing at an annex site with mixed success. Where things seem to break down is in the record keeping and regulatory policies and procedures for QC. It's an alien concept them, and it shows. Also makes CLIA or CAP inspections very fun, if you catch my drift.

In office labs are dying off in my area. I am seeing docs sell out to venture capital and the specimens are sent to the VC labs in other states. Smarter to pool specimens, too hard to make money anymore with in office lab. Also seeing a lot of VC owned ASCs popping up. Wouldn't want to run a hospital. Imagine running one now. Everything going outpatient. Meanwhile you are dealing with unbelievable supply and labor costs. I'm seeing hospitals going under in my area also.

You have to be careful giving nurses an opening. They will be fighting to be pathology midlevels at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not a fan of nurses doing high or moderate complexity testing. You can teach a high school kid how to run a sample on a lab analyzer just fine. The issue comes in understanding enough of the science to know when a result doesn’t make sense, why ti might not make sense, why machines give certain errors (ie heme analyzers will flag for high monos because it can’t differentiate from reactive lymphs), how to troubleshoot, why things need to be done a certain way, plus qc stuff.

I organized a CNA and nursing skills fair at my previous employer and taught the point of care testing station, Point of care. it was really disturbing. This was all stuff they’d been doing and over half weren’t doing at least one test properly in a way that could definitely give wrong results. This was just urine dipsticks, fecal occult bloods, and glucose testing. I later found out the surgery was doing their own urine pregnancy tests when I went for a scope. I was having trouble giving a sample and I said, what do you need like three drops. She said we can do it with less. It required three drops. She didn’t know you could get false negatives with too few drops.

Nurses are often trained by other nurses and just told what to do and not why, and if you don’t understand why you should or shouldn’t do something you’re less likely to follow it.

It’s been studied and non lab trained people are far more likely to do things wrong, cut times short, use too little specimen, not follow qc, not calibrate, get repeated errors and then take the first thing that passes without troubleshooting why the error was happening in the first place. that’s just POC.

Also seen lots trouble with them collecting something in the wrong tube and thinking they can just pour the specimen into a new tube. OB nurses at one hospital got their privileges revoked by the blood bank for putting blood bank wrist bands on patients and drawing the samples when the blood bank supervisor went to draw a patient and saw two different patient wristbands and two unlabeled filled bloodbank tubes of blood on a tray. So many other head bang moments.

Plus nurses already get a crap ton of other extra crap dumped on them. This is just another way for admins to pile work on already short staffed and over extended nurses to save a buck and shortchange lab scientist, not show them respect, and not give them a reason to stick around.

Online pathology practitioner programs will spread if you let nurses in. Better fight them being equivalent to biology degree. They are invasive species.

Funny stuff. Ladoc probably busy. I wonder if he found anyone to work locums when that firm was offering 700 bucks a day.
That’s like $80 an hour. People talk about timing the stock market bottom but I think that was the Pathology job market bottom.

That’s like $80 an hour. People talk about timing the stock market bottom but I think that was the Pathology job market bottom.
Wasn't it just last year when that staffing agency send out the advertisement for his group? I don't consider last year the bottom. Seen a lot leaner years that that for the job market. It's been lot better since covid for sure.

Hell, 700 dollars a day is about what some are paying for traveling histotechs at the moment.

This is essentially what it comes down to. In the past hospitals had written in their bylaws that all specimens obtained under their roof has to be sent to the hospital lab. Now, clinicians/GI docs are threatening to leave or take their business elsewhere if they don't get their way i.e. they want to keep medical staff privileges and the ability to continue to use the hospital's facilities + the freedom to send their specimens to whomever they choose (in this case their own in-house lab). And there's nothing we can do about it...
What if the scenario exists where you're literally the only pathology group (the hospital doesn't even have AP TC) in town and no one wants to spend the resources to take your contract?

This hasn't happened yet in my area because the hospitals have inhouse TC for AP. But if it were to happen on a large scale across the country, that would basically be the end of AP.

You have to be careful giving nurses an opening. They will be fighting to be pathology midlevels at some point.
We already have that, they're called pathology assistants. If nurses want to fight to be a midlevel in our field, they can have all the grossing they want.

What if the scenario exists where you're literally the only pathology group (the hospital doesn't even have AP TC) in town and no one wants to spend the resources to take your contract?
If you were the only pathology group in town and the hospital/ASC doesn't have AP-TC, then who is doing the TC to process slides? The only other way a pathology group could be exist in that town is if they owned their own lab/equipment. Or, the hospital would have to ship specimens to the nearest AP lab to process them; and, if they don't want to take your contract, they would have to also outsource the PC.

If you were the only pathology group in town and the hospital/ASC doesn't have AP-TC, then who is doing the TC to process slides? The only other way a pathology group could be exist in that town is if they owned their own lab/equipment. Or, the hospital would have to ship specimens to the nearest AP lab to process them; and, if they don't want to take your contract, they would have to also outsource the PC.

The GI in question owns a small in-house lab at their ASC and staff it with 1 histo tech. They current send their slides out to another state to be read. They cannot bill certain commercial carriers like BCBS or touch MCR adv plans and commercial advantage plans. In order to get their $$ back for the TC they can't bill, they are offering to "sell" you the TC at 100% MCR. It must be great to be them.

On the opposite side, the hospital has no way to process AP (my lab does this for them). The nearest AP lab is about 250 miles away (unless one of the rival hospitals could tackle the work for them). They would still need to have specimens grossed and slides interpreted and frozens covered. I think the pathologist workforce where I am at is stretched thin enough, so getting the professional work done may be a challenge. This is kind of a nuclear option in my mind. I agree with what many have posted about biopsies being cherry picked by clinicians and sent to their labs, but I think that this is more prevalent in areas that are saturated with path groups who can tackle the extra volume.

Wasn't it just last year when that staffing agency send out the advertisement for his group? I don't consider last year the bottom. Seen a lot leaner years that that for the job market. It's been lot better since covid for sure.

Hell, 700 dollars a day is about what some are paying for traveling histotechs at the moment.
Not sure when but $700 a day for locums work does suck. I’ve been getting more locums emails from recruiters since Covid. Good to see this but not sure how long it’ll last.

More options for work is always welcome and good for our field. It wasn’t this way for years sadly.

Man the more stories like this I read, the more I appreciate my situation. Like many here, I missed out on the golden era of pathology where practically free money rained from the heavens. With private groups being gobbled up or squeezed out, seems like the next best thing is to be an employee of a large health system. The pay is decent to good, job security is great if you're competent, and you don't have to deal with too much administrative stuff.