Should we reintroduce an internship requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jupiterianvibe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will adding an internship requirement help reduce the number of programs and applicants to pathology?

Members don't see this ad.

Won't happen so don't waste your brain cells. I know it was like that before, but you don't need a clinical internship to become a good pathologist.

I think that since we dont do internship we are the path of least resistance for marginal or lazy candidates. if we introduced an internship they might instead choose family because it is shorter.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Autopsy service weeded out a few candidates while I was in training. I don't think internship would matter, that is just a data entry clerk year anyway.

In most states of Australia, applicants for Pathology (AP at least) will need to have completed at least 2 clinical years (Internship + 1 general/medical/surgical resident*** year) prior to entering training. In fact some states give bonus marks on the CV/resume for those who have done multiple surgical rotations. I suspect it's coz having a more surgical background would help give a headstart in specimen grossing/cut-up as it'll be easier for them to orientate the specimen and/or understand the surgical indications for various procedures.

The autopsy exam was abolished from the mainstream AP curriculum in 2018, but it may be done separately should somebody want to obtain a bonus "Diploma in Autopsy".

***Australian "resident" is kinda like a post-internship junior doctor (especially PGY-2, PGY-3) that's not in any particular training program.