Appealing Financial Aid letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatplsdoc

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been offered acceptance to my top school and have just gotten my FA package.

Although I am thrilled with the amount they gave me, I still feel that since my parents will not be contributing anything- I should be able to either qualify for more loans or aid.

I am wondering, for discussing and writing my appeal letter. How do I communicate that my parents will not be contributing anything, and that I need more aid in order to cover a car/ transportation etc. Is it too much to ask for, and will it come off as ungrateful?

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I have been offered acceptance to my top school and have just gotten my FA package.

Although I am thrilled with the amount they gave me, I still feel that since my parents will not be contributing anything- I should be able to either qualify for more loans or aid.

I am wondering, for discussing and writing my appeal letter. How do I communicate that my parents will not be contributing anything, and that I need more aid in order to cover a car/ transportation etc. Is it too much to ask for, and will it come off as ungrateful?

Thank you all.

Generally, you are eligible for full loans up to the cost of attendance, so that should not be an issue. Feel free to PM me if you need help navigating your schools resources, but unless you need more than the full cost of attendance of the school you would be all set.

Reactions: 1 user
I think a lot of this will depend on what you’re trying to achieve. If you’re looking for more merit-based aid, you will need leverage. Are you a particularly competitive or appealing applicant? Do you have other acceptances to other schools with more compelling financial packages that you can leverage to try to get more money out of your first choice? If the answer to those questions is no, there’s no harm in asking but I doubt much will be done for you.

If you’re looking for more need-based aid, as mentioned above you will be eligible for loans up to the cost of attendance. Most schools will take into account your parents’ incomes when calculating your aid package, even if they’re contributing nothing (and even though this information is not necessary to include on federal aid paperwork). Much of these packages are calculated in a pretty formulaic way.

I would say there’s no harm in asking - the worst they can do is say no and you’re in the same position that you’re in now - but I would advise you to be very tactful in these conversations as you don’t want to come off as demanding or entitled.